Work: active shooter training but doesn't allow cc

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Work: active shooter training but doesn't allow cc

Post by jason812 »

Tomorrow there is an active shooter training meeting at work. I'm debating about attending because corporate policy prohibits carrying. What are they going to say? Run and hide? Fight back with whatever you can grab or throw? Before anybody says find another place to work, I cannot make the same amount of cash in Central Texas. I'm thinking about voicing my opinion about mass shootings taking place in gun free zones but am pretty sure it won't go anywhere as our headquarters are in Illinois.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Work: active shooter training but doesn't allow cc

Post by baldeagle »

Go to the meeting and keep your mouth shut. It's just training. They're not asking for opinions, and they won't appreciate yours. If you can't keep your mouth shut, get your resume up to date. Discretion is the better part of valor.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
jason812

Post by jason812 »

Its a web/phone meeting with a scheduled 15 minute open discussion at the end. I know it will be bet better to keep my mouth shut but sometimes its very hard to do.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

If you've got a CHL, you've already made a decision to become a sheepdog in some way, shape or form. If you're serious about it, maybe you should work with your company rather than against it. They'll never allow concealed carry at work, regardless of how much logic you throw at them. Go to the web meeting, listen to what they have to say and put it to work, within the framework of unarmed response. Don't be the guy disrupting a meeting over something that won't change. Be the guy approaching it from the perspective of a defender and help them.

Just because you can't carry doesnt mean you can't protect yourself and others.

Glockster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Glockster »

Agree with much of the above. Anyone who disrupts the party line of training or a meeting like that is not welcome. It doesn't sound like they have as the intent a desire to gather input and suggestions about what they could do, or what is possible, or what changes might be necessary. It does sound more like they've already decided based upon what they are required by the HQ, and the requirement is simply for them to now inform you. If you do in any way disrupt -- including asking intelligent "how come" or "why can't we" or "did you not know" kind of things, you are then a disruption to their intent for the meeting. And sadly, that negative connotation will also carry over to include "and he carries a gun!" and be viewed just as negatively.

Frankly, given that you have a CHL, I'd be careful about what you do post here about what you are told to do or not do vs. what you might actually do, unless you are quite certain that your comments here can never be attributed to you. Sadly we need to be careful about things like that.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Cowboyhockey14

Post by Cowboyhockey14 »

I use to work in the oilfield. Our company did not allow anyone to carry firearms. Each year they would produce an emergency response spreadsheet. Basically training for what to do with different scenarios, inclement weather, spills, well control issues. They did have an "active shooter" portion to the spreadsheet. We were advised to either hide or throw rocks or objects at the shooter! Could you imagine stopping an active shooter with a rock?!

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Cowboyhockey14 wrote:I use to work in the oilfield. Our company did not allow anyone to carry firearms. Each year they would produce an emergency response spreadsheet. Basically training for what to do with different scenarios, inclement weather, spills, well control issues. They did have an "active shooter" portion to the spreadsheet. We were advised to either hide or throw rocks or objects at the shooter! Could you imagine stopping an active shooter with a rock?!

That's the kind of training that would be really nice to record. Probably make for something good to show to the jury after the incident....as to how they pretty much did nothing to keep you safe.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

A fair question to ask at this training seminar is, How are gun free zones safe for anyone except the shooter?

I wouldn't make a political platform, but ask about it as a true safety concern.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Richbirdhunter wrote:A fair question to ask at this training seminar is, How are gun free zones safe for anyone except the shooter?

I wouldn't make a political platform, but ask about it as a true safety concern.
That's some solid career advice right there. I'm sure all the other people involved in the training will appreciate it and I'll bet the poor HR schmuck reading from a PowerPoint will be more than happy to discuss the ramifications of 2A and free fire zones.

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

I think it would be a good idea to attend just from the point of view for what to expect from others if something like this happened. You would know at least what they had been told to do and some might actually do it. The others would be reduced to running around making animal noises.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

baldeagle wrote:Go to the meeting and keep your mouth shut. It's just training. They're not asking for opinions, and they won't appreciate yours. If you can't keep your mouth shut, get your resume up to date. Discretion is the better part of valor.
This is good advice.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Cowboyhockey14 wrote:I use to work in the oilfield. Our company did not allow anyone to carry firearms. Each year they would produce an emergency response spreadsheet. Basically training for what to do with different scenarios, inclement weather, spills, well control issues. They did have an "active shooter" portion to the spreadsheet. We were advised to either hide or throw rocks or objects at the shooter! Could you imagine stopping an active shooter with a rock?!
Anything specifically against throwing chunks of lead? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
jason812

Post by jason812 »

I listened and it was a flat out joke but I did keep my mouth closed, so I guess a small victory for me. Another facility asked about having unknown persons carry and the presenter claimed it was above his pay grade. Even guys here that I'm pretty sure do not carry and may not even own a firearm thought it was pretty crazy to fight back with a "chair, stapler, or other improvised weapon." We are speculating that layoffs are coming and this was a CYA to claim everybody had the opportunity to be "trained."

That being said, I'm going to have a chat with the facility manager and see what can be done on a local level.

Cowboyhockey14

Post by Cowboyhockey14 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Anything specifically against throwing chunks of lead? :mrgreen:

The only thing specifically against "throwing chunks of Lead" was the anti-gun literature in the employee handbook and the signs we had to put on each location stating " No Firearms allowed"

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

We had a discussion about our new policy at work. I told my supervisor that they better never have an active shooter drill, because I would be throwing a chair through the closest window, and would be following right behind it.
NRA lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”