City Gun Ordinance Sign

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 2

Re: City Gun Ordinance Sign

Post by Richbirdhunter »

longhorn86 wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:We vote at the local city library, it's not posted. Can I carry into the library on non-voting days?
Good to go if no voting going on
Thank you
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 2farnorth »

Went by city hall today. Had to fill an open records request form to see the designated ordinance. They will call me when it is available. City web site is mostly blank!!!
She did say that recently someone complained that there were no "no guns" signs on the building and that the new city manager came up with the posted sign after conferring with a previous city manager. There is the city court room adjacent to the city office, police dept is on the far side (east) of the court room, fire dept is in the back of the building, DMV takes up one small office, then the post office takes up the other half of the building on the west side.
Be interesting to see what turns up.
N5PNZ

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

So let me get this straight, you had to fill out an open records request to see a copy of an ordinance that you are expected not to violate? I assume this is in Leonard Tx?
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NotRPB »

2farnorth wrote:Went by city hall today. Had to fill an open records request form to see the designated ordinance. They will call me when it is available. City web site is mostly blank!!!
She did say that recently someone complained that there were no "no guns" signs on the building and that the new city manager came up with the posted sign after conferring with a previous city manager. There is the city court room adjacent to the city office, police dept is on the far side (east) of the court room, fire dept is in the back of the building, DMV takes up one small office, then the post office takes up the other half of the building on the west side.
Be interesting to see what turns up.
Looks like a town with no law, a lawless community
http://www.cityofleonard.net/city-ordinances.html
"rlol"
http://www.cityofleonard.net/city-council.html Mayor & Council
RE: posts on form letter which used to be effective getting cities/city council/mayor to remove signs

PreEmption
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46764&p=572044&hili ... on#p572044

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41993&p=505784&hil ... er#p505789

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=188&p=581186&hilit= ... n+#p581186

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

I mentioned their "web site" and soon realized that it is point of embarrassment to the lady I was speaking to. She said they hope to get something done about it "soon" but have no money available..

I will give them some lee-way due to a recent PAST city administrator absconded with somewhere between $75K and $150K last year. The city has been having financial problems ever since. They had to lay off staff and delay a lot of needed work. The woman that did it just accepted a "plea bargain" but the details won't be released til early December.

I'm sure there will be some resistance from the "council" and maybe some citizens concerning removing the signs that have been posted. So I'm going about it carefully.

My biggest question is how the court room adjacent to and accessible from the city hall lobby or from outside would weigh on the legality. The room does get used for other purposes too. Is the whole building off limits because of the court room?
N5PNZ

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

2farnorth wrote:I mentioned their "web site" and soon realized that it is point of embarrassment to the lady I was speaking to. She said they hope to get something done about it "soon" but have no money available..

I will give them some lee-way due to a recent PAST city administrator absconded with somewhere between $75K and $150K last year. The city has been having financial problems ever since. They had to lay off staff and delay a lot of needed work. The woman that did it just accepted a "plea bargain" but the details won't be released til early December.

I'm sure there will be some resistance from the "council" and maybe some citizens concerning removing the signs that have been posted. So I'm going about it carefully.

My biggest question is how the court room adjacent to and accessible from the city hall lobby or from outside would weigh on the legality. The room does get used for other purposes too. Is the whole building off limits because of the court room?
The city would possibly like to say yes, but the answer is no. Only court rooms and offices are off limits. All other offices a person should be good to go.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

2farnorth wrote:
I think you're wise to proceed slowly and carefully here. Small towns are definitely a different dynamic than large cities. Good luck with it. Be aware that this will likely be a long road; expect a lot of back and forth.

And keep us posted, neighbor!

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

MeMelYup wrote:
2farnorth wrote:.......

The city would possibly like to say yes, but the answer is no. Only court rooms and offices are off limits. All other offices a person should be good to go.

I have to research the actual subsection for my response, but I'm going wait 'til I see the ordinance.

Thatguyoverthere: You bet. I've only lived in this city for 8 years. Most of the people in the city government have been here all their lives and several are older than I (66). :waiting:
N5PNZ

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

2farnorth wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
2farnorth wrote:.......

I have to research the actual subsection for my response, but I'm going wait 'til I see the ordinance.

Thatguyoverthere: You bet. I've only lived in this city for 8 years. Most of the people in the city government have been here all their lives and several are older than I (66). :waiting:
PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
(3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Just had a chat with a City Councilman. The City of Leonard has decided that only the courtroom will be off limits for carrying. He said they posted the signs on the court room entrance. While not completely right, they have made a step in the right direction. They really don't need to put 3006,3007 signs up. Just a small "Court is in session, firearms prohibited" sign would be enough. The "courtroom" is actually a multi-purpose room anyway. They did delete the old ordinance that "prohibited" all carrying on city property.
:txflag:
N5PNZ

Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

The other issue I can see here is the fact that the post office is in the building. It has just been upheld that we cannot have a firearm on the premises of the post office including the parking lot which I assume is the same parking as the rest of the building.
Cliff H.
Beaumont, TX

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

Bayoutalker wrote:The other issue I can see here is the fact that the post office is in the building. It has just been upheld that we cannot have a firearm on the premises of the post office including the parking lot which I assume is the same parking as the rest of the building.
I am pretty sure the parking lot only applies to stand alone post offices and not satellite locations sharing a building or mall.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Right2Carry wrote:
Bayoutalker wrote:The other issue I can see here is the fact that the post office is in the building. It has just been upheld that we cannot have a firearm on the premises of the post office including the parking lot which I assume is the same parking as the rest of the building.
I am pretty sure the parking lot only applies to stand alone post offices and not satellite locations sharing a building or mall.
Yes. The CFR that USPS uses to say that they can prohibit guns applies only to their property. If the parking lot is not their property then they have no control.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Parking lot is not a problem. All public parking is on the street. The post office occupies one end of the building with it's own inner entrance from the "lobby". The court/polling room is at the opposite end of the lobby with it's own entrance also. City hall is in between them
N5PNZ

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”