Intermediate school posted 30.06 and 30.07

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 1

Intermediate school posted 30.06 and 30.07

Post by jrs_diesel »

I know K-12 schools are already off limits in the buildings and during school events. But I can't figure out why a school would even bother posting signs.

I had to pick up my son for an appointment and saw both 30.06 and 30.07 signs at the entrance to the main office (didn't see any other entrances posted) at Clear Creek Intermediate (League City). I asked the lady working the desk about the signs (turns out she has a CHL too), and she said that the signs recently became required by the district.

Seems redundant, but are they allowed to post signs if they are already off limits?
J.R.

The Wall

Re: Intermediate school posted 30.06 and 30.07

Post by The Wall »

I would say yes. Think of it as a reminder to those that don't know the law.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

My local ISD posts signs. They already have 30.07 signs posted.
Makes my blood pressure go up every time I see them.
As if that sign will stop someone intent on murdering children

"Darn, I can't go on a killing spree now..... They have a sign." :banghead:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

android

Post by android »

they are a convenient reminder to bad guys that they are the only ones with guns.

Rmartinez37
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rmartinez37 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

30.06 sign = no concealed handguns on premises by license holders, or pretty much no guns.

30.07 sign = no open carry by license holders, pretty much, you can carry but concealed.

Why put up both, doesn't the 30.06 sign make posting the 30.07 sign pointless because with a .07 sign, you have to keep it concealed, and the .06 sign says concealed weapons are not allowed. :headscratch

Both signs of course don't apply to active LE, or armored car guys, from what I've seen and heard. They can still OC, but that's very understandable.

I understand schools putting up signs for those who are not familiraized with the law, but the 30.07 seems pointless in the presence of a 30.06.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I understand schools putting up signs for those who are not familiraized with the law, but the 30.07 seems pointless in the presence of a 30.06.
Those not familiar are exactly why it's up. Almost daily I run into someone "excited for Jan 1" but doesn't know you need a LTC.... they just heard on the news that OC passed.

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

RoyGBiv wrote:My local ISD posts signs. They already have 30.07 signs posted.
Makes my blood pressure go up every time I see them.
As if that sign will stop someone intent on murdering children

"Darn, I can't go on a killing spree now..... They have a sign." :banghead:
:lol:

Rmartinez37
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rmartinez37 »

flechero wrote:
Those not familiar are exactly why it's up. Almost daily I run into someone "excited for Jan 1" but doesn't know you need a LTC.... they just heard on the news that OC passed.

I think I see your point, so People unfamiliar with the law know that either CC, or OC are not legal in premise. :thumbs2:

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 4

Post by locke_n_load »

The funny thing is that I don't think schools can post 30.06 signs after SB273.
School premises are already barred from carry, either licensed or not, per 46.03.a.1.
The school is owned by a city, therefore it cannot post 30.06 right?
I know it's a moot point but it's somewhat funny.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ScottDLS »

Schools can post 30.06 signs on their "premises" without breaking the new law, because schools are otherwise prohibited under 46.03 and 46.035. They don't really need to because all its going to do is add a class c misdemeanor to the felony and/or class A charges that already exist in 46.03 & 46.035. Same with 30.07. I think some places might do it to remind CHL that they can't carry on school premises, although if you don't know that you weren't paying attention in CHL class.

What public schools cannot do is post their PROPERTY with a 30.06, as it is not valid for public entities (with some exceptions for school activities/sporting events). Has anyone seen school PROPERTY, not PREMISES, being posted where no activities are taking place?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

jed

Post by jed »

ScottDLS wrote:Schools can post 30.06 signs on their "premises" without breaking the new law, because schools are otherwise prohibited under 46.03 and 46.035. They don't really need to because all its going to do is add a class c misdemeanor to the felony and/or class A charges that already exist in 46.03 & 46.035. Same with 30.07. I think some places might do it to remind CHL that they can't carry on school premises, although if you don't know that you weren't paying attention in CHL class.

What public schools cannot do is post their PROPERTY with a 30.06, as it is not valid for public entities (with some exceptions for school activities/sporting events). Has anyone seen school PROPERTY, not PREMISES, being posted where no activities are taking place?
.......but the life of me, I cannot remember the statue number sign barring the pervs and psychos, who we need to keep out in the first place.

The govt goes to extremes to keep legal carry out of the schools yet does totally nothing to keep the knife and gun carrying pervs and pyhcos out.

This is so stupid it is amazing.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

locke_n_load wrote:The funny thing is that I don't think schools can post 30.06 signs after SB273.
School premises are already barred from carry, either licensed or not, per 46.03.a.1.
It may be true is some areas, but as far as I know very few schools are owned by a city except in very small school districts.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

twomillenium wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:The funny thing is that I don't think schools can post 30.06 signs after SB273.
It may be true is some areas, but as far as I know very few schools are owned by a city except in very small school districts.
ISD's paid for by taxpayer dollars are "public" property. I think that's what l-n-l was aiming for.?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
ISD's paid for by taxpayer dollars are "public" property. I think that's what l-n-l was aiming for.?
Correct. Owned by some subdistrict of the state, thereore 30.06 cannot be posted (not a hospital, church, or amusement park).
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ScottDLS »

locke_n_load wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
Correct. Owned by some subdistrict of the state, thereore 30.06 cannot be posted (not a hospital, church, or amusement park).
They can post on their buildings, but not on their PROPERTY.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”