Houston Zoo Reinstalls No Guns Signs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Houston Zoo Reinstalls No Guns Signs

Post by Scott Farkus »

stealthfightrf17 wrote:I can't get over how blind some of the people are making their comments on that article. Cant say it any nicer then this, they are a special kinda stupid
Some of those people apparently believe that we'll be shooting the zoo animals like we're on a safari or something. And those are the more rational ones.

I weep for the future of this country.

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JP171 »

Scott Farkus wrote:
stealthfightrf17 wrote:I can't get over how blind some of the people are making their comments on that article. Cant say it any nicer then this, they are a special kinda stupid
Some of those people apparently believe that we'll be shooting the zoo animals like we're on a safari or something. And those are the more rational ones.

I weep for the future of this country.
yea I keep seeing that, also a lot of cussing people out and a lot of hate, but then libtards hate everyone that doesn't conform to what they tell you to think, say and do

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

Did nobody notice that the article was from "nyc". What did you expect!
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

sjfcontrol wrote:Did nobody notice that the article was from "nyc". What did you expect!
The comments in the Tribune's original article are a little less vulgar, but just as stupid.
http://www.texastribune.org/2016/01/07/ ... -new-laws/

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by winters »

Well if they want to purchase the land from the city and become private business then they free to do so.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I was there last week for the christmas lights at night. I didn't notice any signage around the entrance/ticket booths.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

Just past the booths on the right hand brick wall as you go in. Yellow lettering on a green sign. I almost missed them myself.
J.R.

stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

I weep for the future of this country.[/quote]

Does that mean we need to dress for the safari to, cameo just doesnt sound right when I go to the zoo now "rlol"

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Ok, I can see this not going well for the Houston Zoo, at least eventually.

They might not be out of options for keeping peaceful guns out, though.

They have kangaroos, right? They could be a COURT!

Txtension

Post by Txtension »

Hi everybody, I've been lurking here for several months and gained a lot of good information here.

I visited the Houston Zoo today and saw their 30.06, 30.07, and they even tossed up a 46.03 sign. I walked pass the sign wall.

My firearm was IWB appendix (Browning Hi Power). I also had my saw-back knife (about 5 inches of metal from tip to top of the handle, 4" are sharpened). These weapons were openly carried on my belt.

At first everything seemed cool, no one said anything or even offered up resistance. Even had the camera dude take a picture of me including the wife and kids. Shortly after, a woman approached me and asked if I had a real firearm on me, I said yes. She said it was against company policy to have any firearms open or concealed. I informed her that since the zoo was on city property the signs were invalid. She restated the company policy bit, and asked me to return the gun to my car, and that I could speak to the director of security. I said sure.

So the director of security comes out and I give him the 30.06 .07 signs are invalid speech. To which he says, they are valid because the zoo is an educational institution. I asked him if he knew there was up to a 10,000 dollar fine for the illegally posted signs. He assured me he was well aware of the law. He also noted that my method of carry was not in compliance with the law and that it was illegal to carry in condition 1 (pretty good eyes to mention that detail). I told him that was not true and asked him for the statute that said otherwise. He said he could even look it up for me, and made an insulting remark that I should have paid attention in chl class. I asked him politely if he could retrieve the statute for me, and I offered to wait, or even come back after we finished viewing the zoo. So he must have realized I called his bluff on that one and he told me to look it up on my own time.

The rest of my experience at the zoo was like any other day at the park. Aside from coincidentally running into a security guard every 10-15 minutes (had me followed?). Everyone was really cordial and I'd be happy to bring the family in the future.

howdy

Post by howdy »

Txtension wrote:Hi everybody, I've been lurking here for several months and gained a lot of good information here.

I visited the Houston Zoo today and saw their 30.06, 30.07, and they even tossed up a 46.03 sign. I walked pass the sign wall.

My firearm was IWB appendix (Browning Hi Power). I also had my saw-back knife (about 5 inches of metal from tip to top of the handle, 4" are sharpened). These weapons were openly carried on my belt.

At first everything seemed cool, no one said anything or even offered up resistance. Even had the camera dude take a picture of me including the wife and kids. Shortly after, a woman approached me and asked if I had a real firearm on me, I said yes. She said it was against company policy to have any firearms open or concealed. I informed her that since the zoo was on city property the signs were invalid. She restated the company policy bit, and asked me to return the gun to my car, and that I could speak to the director of security. I said sure.

So the director of security comes out and I give him the 30.06 .07 signs are invalid speech. To which he says, they are valid because the zoo is an educational institution. I asked him if he knew there was up to a 10,000 dollar fine for the illegally posted signs. He assured me he was well aware of the law. He also noted that my method of carry was not in compliance with the law and that it was illegal to carry in condition 1 (pretty good eyes to mention that detail). I told him that was not true and asked him for the statute that said otherwise. He said he could even look it up for me, and made an insulting remark that I should have paid attention in chl class. I asked him politely if he could retrieve the statute for me, and I offered to wait, or even come back after we finished viewing the zoo. So he must have realized I called his bluff on that one and he told me to look it up on my own time.

The rest of my experience at the zoo was like any other day at the park. Aside from coincidentally running into a security guard every 10-15 minutes (had me followed?). Everyone was really cordial and I'd be happy to bring the family in the future.
I think we will have our test case real soon.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasTornado »

howdy wrote:
Txtension wrote:Hi everybody, I've been lurking here for several months and gained a lot of good information here.

I think we will have our test case real soon.

At least he put the weapon up when told but seriously talk about swatting the hornets nest. Unbelievable.

I much prefer taking the alcohol approach mentioned earlier. The city of Dallas also prevents alcohol sales within 300 feet of a school or daycare...didn't the zoo claim to be both?
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RossA »

Well, you had the good taste and class to carry a Hi Power!
I am surprised that they didn't have a city cop come "talk" to you. Glad someone stood up to them.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RossA »

[quote="TexasTornado"

At least he put the weapon up when told but seriously talk about swatting the hornets nest. Unbelievable.

I much prefer taking the alcohol approach mentioned earlier. The city of Dallas also prevents alcohol sales within 300 feet of a school or daycare...didn't the zoo claim to be both?[/quote]

Maybe I misread something. I don't see where he said he put the gun away when told to do so.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

But even if the Houston Zoo was a k-12, wouldn't the sidewalks be open?

Seems like the argument that zoos and guns don't mix is rather overwhelmingly diminished by the fact that zoos and lunatics on shooting sprees don't mix, either. Unfortunately, it appears the zoos argue we want to be armed to hunt game.

It's rather the opposite - we don't want to be game for a jihadist.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”