Are the new 30.06 signs valid now, or not until 2016?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Glockster
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Are the new 30.06 signs valid now, or not until 2016?

Post by Glockster »

Skiprr wrote:From those of us who have been around this environment for one or two decades--not months--trust me, the very same conversation comes up every time there is a legislative change.

The law is the law. An invalid posting is an invalid posting. Now, I'm not one to pull out a ruler and try to confirm letters on signage are at least one-inch and not 63/64ths. But I also don't concern myself with outdated 30.05 or "gunbuster" signs. And won't with outdated 30.06 signage come January.

Admittedly, OC is a different animal because it's all out there. I plan to OC very seldom, and perhaps only while at PSC. But the OP was about CC, and Charles gave him the definitive statement.
At the risk of not wanting to hijack the thread, interesting to know from a historical perspective! In the two years that I've been here this is my first go 'round. Have there been a lot of changes to the signage since the law got onto the books laying out the specific requirements?
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

"Why should Texas be different?"

Because it's Texas, not some other state.

Texas doesn't follow in lockstep with other states and their particular laws.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Glockster wrote:
Skiprr wrote:From those of us who have been around this environment for one or two decades--not months--trust me, the very same conversation comes up every time there is a legislative change.

The law is the law. An invalid posting is an invalid posting. Now, I'm not one to pull out a ruler and try to confirm letters on signage are at least one-inch and not 63/64ths. But I also don't concern myself with outdated 30.05 or "gunbuster" signs. And won't with outdated 30.06 signage come January.

Admittedly, OC is a different animal because it's all out there. I plan to OC very seldom, and perhaps only while at PSC. But the OP was about CC, and Charles gave him the definitive statement.
At the risk of not wanting to hijack the thread, interesting to know from a historical perspective! In the two years that I've been here this is my first go 'round. Have there been a lot of changes to the signage since the law got onto the books laying out the specific requirements?
The signage requirements for 30.06 have been the same since 1997. With the addition of PC 30.07 and Open Carry this year, some relatively minor changes were made to the sign language for 30.06, nevertheless they are required for a sign to be valid after 1/1/2016.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

What's going to happen to the texas3006.com site after 1/1, with regard to 30.06 signs? I'm thinking particularly of the "Valid?" column. Remember, all that data is for the "old" 30.06. Will they change all of them to "No" until updates are submitted? Erase the entire 30.06 database and start over? 99% of those entries will be invalid 8 days from now.
-Ruark

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Went to a clinic today which last week had 1 valid until Jan 1st 2016 - 30.06 sign at one entrance only on Glass. (So I have previously just carried my concealed rifle)

They had removed that, placed the valid/compliant after Jan 1st 2016 30.06 and 30.07 signs at both entrances in both languages.
I had already put my pistol in the car when I noticed the change ... (So I just carried my concealed rifle)

(So actually right now, a licensee could concealed carry a handgun there until Jan 1st 2016, but I didn't...I just carried my concealed rifle ... as always)

I updated Texas3006.com with the change

amtank

Post by amtank »

Texas Occupational Code Sec. 2155.102 and Sec. 2155.103 are instructive to this issue. I have never seen that in any Texas located hotel information.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

New 30.06 signs? :headscratch Where does one go to see the new 30.06 and the new 30.07 signs - or is it a secret?

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Glockster wrote:

By "the very same conversation" I did not specifically refer to signage, but to legislative change in general. The point was, the law is the law.

To my knowledge--though don't ding me if I'm wrong; I haven't done the research--there have been alterations to firearms laws, and other legislation affecting them, in almost every legislative session since 1995. Yet every year we see a new Topic started about consumption of alcohol while carrying. Every year we see a new Topic about carrying past a no-Beretta-symbol gun-buster sign. Every year we see conversations about church or hospital carry.

Mind you, questions and discourse are great; that's how we learn; that's much of why we're here. And until an AG opinion or case history precedent is established, some legislative language may be open to levels of interpretation.

But the wording of the signage requirements in 30.06 and 30.07 are specific, and Charles reinforced that. Someone can choose not to pass beyond an old 30.05 notice or an invalid 30.06 sign, and that's fine. Completely a personal preference. But that is a choice not required by law.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Skiprr wrote:
Glockster wrote:

By "the very same conversation" I did not specifically refer to signage, but to legislative change in general. The point was, the law is the law.

To my knowledge--though don't ding me if I'm wrong; I haven't done the research--there have been alterations to firearms laws, and other legislation affecting them, in almost every legislative session since 1995. Yet every year we see a new Topic started about consumption of alcohol while carrying. Every year we see a new Topic about carrying past a no-Beretta-symbol gun-buster sign. Every year we see conversations about church or hospital carry.

Mind you, questions and discourse are great; that's how we learn; that's much of why we're here. And until an AG opinion or case history precedent is established, some legislative language may be open to levels of interpretation.

But the wording of the signage requirements in 30.06 and 30.07 are specific, and Charles reinforced that. Someone can choose not to pass beyond an old 30.05 notice or an invalid 30.06 sign, and that's fine. Completely a personal preference. But that is a choice not required by law.
Sure, I get that the signage requirements are specific, and I have no interest in passing anything that is any kind of an indication that they don't want firearms past that point so I could care less if the sign might technically be invalid, I respect the intent of their having posted a sign. I was only curious as someone who hasn't been here long enough to have seen other changes to know how many times or how frequently you've gone through those changes. Thanks!
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike1951 »

Russell,

Will there be a way to track those who post 30.06 in conjunction with 30.07 that had not previously posted 30.06?
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I was thinking more of a way to determine months or a year from now, how many new postings were probably caused by open carry.

Do you record the date of their initial report?
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Since there is no function to search by date, would it be possible to add sort by date?
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”