Another casualty of Open Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
LTUME1978
Senior Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Alvin, TX

Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby LTUME1978 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:49 am

I never gave much though to the "open carry" thing until yesterday afternoon. Got an email from work telling us that not only are 30.07 signs going up over the weekend on our office building but 30.06 as well. What makes this even more frustrating is I have yet to see a single open carry. I hope the folks that made such a big deal out of open carry are happy because it is costing more than a few of us our right to carry concealed and protect ourselves in many places. And to the open carry folks, no, getting a new job is not an option unless you will make me whole financially. I am 60 and 5 years away from retirement. I will adamently oppose anything that comes out of the OCT group/organization going forward and will write my legislators stating that. Wish this open carry thing had never happened. Makes me wonder if the OCT folks are antigun wolves in sheep's clothing.


jed
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:43 am
Location: Pineywoods

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby jed » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:58 am

:iagree: No argument from me. Granted I have not been carrying very long, but long enough to see less places that I can. And we will continue to see more and more places posted. :banghead:

ETA - I have seen one OC, and it was at a gun store no less.
Last edited by jed on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the
people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." - Thomas Jefferson
:patriot: :txflag:

User avatar

bmwrdr
Senior Member
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby bmwrdr » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:14 am

:iagree:
Agreed, I have not seen anybody carry open either but on my walk to the grocery store there is an appartement complex with 30.07 posted. I guess there will be many more coming and I don't even want to think about the worst case scenario like an accident with an OC involved.
Last edited by bmwrdr on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
--

User avatar

Distinguished Rick
Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Trinity, Republic of Texas.

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby Distinguished Rick » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:42 am

I totally agree. We have lost more than we gained. I have had my CHL 20 years this year and I hardly ran into any legal signs back then. This has woken up the anti crowd in a big way. Just as easy to have both 30.06 and 30.07 signs made at the same time. So now the genie is out of the bottle and I don't see a way to put it back.
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."


Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby Richbirdhunter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:53 am

So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

User avatar

flowrie
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:16 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby flowrie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:57 am

I agree, OCT has hurt much more than helped. I insist on carrying when taking my young son and wife to the movies, but that is now becoming more difficult. I do not really oppose OC, but they way they went about it was unwise and just down right ignorant. I too wonder if some of them are anti 2A. If I were anti-2A, that's how I would do it.
NRA Life Member
NGAT Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

User avatar

Distinguished Rick
Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Trinity, Republic of Texas.

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby Distinguished Rick » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:00 am

Restored freedom? We lost more places to carry than we gained. More places are posted with 30.06 signs than ever before. Yes we gained a "freedom" but we lost some as well. Go to Texas30.06 and check all the new entries.
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."


android
Senior Member
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby android » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:05 am

Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?


We were free to carry concealed at far more places before than now.

You have the exact same ability to be safe carrying concealed as openly.
Except that now you can't do either in many places.
So you're not safer at all.

Open carry is not a right. It's a dress code and comfort issue. You were already freely bearing arms before 1 Jan.

You've given up safety for comfort and lost and freedom for all of us.
Last edited by android on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby Lynyrd » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:11 am

The only advantage I see to OC is comfort. You can dress more comfortably. I see lots of disadvantages, and new we are seeing a lot of backlash.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

bmwrdr
Senior Member
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby bmwrdr » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:14 am

Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?


Good point and here is mine. Before the OC movement started everything went smooth, now we see more and more 30.06 signs erected then before. That leads me to the conclusion we don't really gain freedom b but rather loose what we had. Quiet frankly it reminds me at the phrase "There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over."
Lets just hope it will get better and in fact I don't mind OC at all but as we all know, one bad mushroom will spoil the whole soup.

:tiphat:
--


Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby Richbirdhunter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:17 am

Lynyrd wrote:The only advantage I see to OC is comfort. You can dress more comfortably. I see lots of disadvantages, and new we are seeing a lot of backlash.


Whether you do it or not isn't important, it's the fact that we can do it. Peoples fears will subside and we will find a new normal.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts: 9954
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby Oldgringo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:18 am

Lynyrd wrote:The only advantage I see to OC is comfort. You can dress more comfortably. I see lots of disadvantages, and new we are seeing a lot of backlash.

:iagree: The immature, selfish actions and the loud, belligerent mouths of a few have hurt many.

It's true, all that glitters is not gold.

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts: 9954
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby Oldgringo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:20 am

Oldgringo wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:The only advantage I see to OC is comfort. You can dress more comfortably. I see lots of disadvantages, and new we are seeing a lot of backlash.

:iagree: It appears that the immature, selfish actions and the loud, belligerent mouths of a few have hurt many.

It's true, all that glitters is not gold.


Russell
Senior Member
Posts: 2592
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby Russell » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:25 am

Distinguished Rick wrote:Restored freedom? We lost more places to carry than we gained. More places are posted with 30.06 signs than ever before. Yes we gained a "freedom" but we lost some as well. Go to Texas30.06 and check all the new entries.



The moderator queue is getting so long it's taking me upwards of 30 minutes a pop to go through and approve everything :???:
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006


Topic author
LTUME1978
Senior Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Alvin, TX

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Postby LTUME1978 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:25 am

Richbirdhunter,

You must live in a very isolated part of the state. Here in Houston, once the signs are up, they are not ever going to come down. All open carry did was wake the liberals up in Houston to the fact that they could be putting up signs. I see more signs going up in the tunnels in downtown Houston every day. With every new sign, someone else asks what that is all about and gets the idea that they should post as well.

The lid is off this can of worms and it will never go back. I hope the right to walk around looking like Wyatt Earp is worth it to the open carry folks because a lot of us are loosing our right to concealed carry and it may cost some of us our lives for your privilege to play cowboy.


Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests