Another casualty of Open Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Post by The Annoyed Man »

We just got back from Cinemark Tinseltown in Grapevine (saw Star Wars), and it has a compliant 30.07 sign at each front entrance. I took a picture and listed it at texas3006.com.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote: I remember those years quite well. I ALSO remember that, despite my liberal politics at the time, I would have been terrified to talk to other adults that way. Why? Respect. That's why. Apparently that little piece of coprolite lacks the capacity for it.
It's parenting or lack thereof bolstered by the anonymity of the internet, TAM. The outburst of negative and antagonistic posts since the first of the year have caused me to question the motivation of some of the newer member posts and cautious of any response they may prompt.

:tiphat:

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Upon re-reading my response, I must admit that the right to life supercedes all other rights. That does not mean that the right to one's property should give way to much except the right to life/defending oneself.

VoiceofReason, I get your point that the idea is to get more businesses to remove signage and I do agree that your proposal would do just that. I admit to having a bit of a sticking point with putting more onus on business owners than the signage requirements, though.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

dshuster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dshuster »

As I see it those who post signs are showing me what they really think of my right to carry. My response to them.... You will never see me in your establishment ever again. I will let every one of my friends know that you restrict our right to carry. Not because of requirements by law but that you chose to post a 3006 and a 3007 sign. I am sure you will have others who will walk right past your signs and never give them a second glance and still pay for your goods or services. I, being a responsible gun owner, will walk away taking my money with me.

chuckybrown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chuckybrown »

The Annoyed Man wrote:We just got back from Cinemark Tinseltown in Grapevine (saw Star Wars), and it has a compliant 30.07 sign at each front entrance. I took a picture and listed it at texas3006.com.
Seriously? You posted this? Without your review of the movie??? :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana
Chuckybrown

stingeragent
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by stingeragent »

Haha. SPOILER ALERT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 14

Post by The Annoyed Man »

chuckybrown wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:We just got back from Cinemark Tinseltown in Grapevine (saw Star Wars), and it has a compliant 30.07 sign at each front entrance. I took a picture and listed it at texas3006.com.
Seriously? You posted this? Without your review of the movie??? :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana
It was pretty good. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

tiger1279

Post by tiger1279 »

dshuster wrote:As I see it those who post signs are showing me what they really think of my right to carry. My response to them.... You will never see me in your establishment ever again. I will let every one of my friends know that you restrict our right to carry. Not because of requirements by law but that you chose to post a 3006 and a 3007 sign. I am sure you will have others who will walk right past your signs and never give them a second glance and still pay for your goods or services. I, being a responsible gun owner, will walk away taking my money with me.
I agree with you. I only CC so the 30.07 signs don't upset me too much. I can see where OC might make some people nervous and a store owner might prefer people didn't do it - so up goes the 30.07 sign. It's the posting of the 30.06 signs that really irritate me. Concealed means concealed so how can that bother anyone when they don't know you are doing it? Like you, I see this as an attack on my right to carry and, also like you, I will take my business elsewhere.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

dshuster wrote:As I see it those who post signs are showing me what they really think of my right to carry. My response to them.... You will never see me in your establishment ever again. I will let every one of my friends know that you restrict our right to carry. Not because of requirements by law but that you chose to post a 3006 and a 3007 sign. I am sure you will have others who will walk right past your signs and never give them a second glance and still pay for your goods or services. I, being a responsible gun owner, will walk away taking my money with me.
As I see it, a 30.07 shows that they they don't want to see my handgun. While a 30.06 sign tells me that the establishment prefers that I be a victim.

Some people don't appreciate how beautiful my Ruger 95 is, I understand that. Some people may prefer I were dead. I don't understand that, and will avoid such people.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

I win. I did both (saw the movie, took pictures for 3006.com) last week.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

VMI77
Posts in topic: 11

Post by VMI77 »

ScottDLS wrote:
Tell that to the guys that can no longer carry at work. To the guys that now have to change their shopping routines, because the stores they've gone to for years are no longer available to them. The tradeoff might seem worthwhile to you, because it's had no impact on you personally. It might seem a lot less worthwhile to someone who has now had to disarm.
There were companies that allowed their employees to carry at work, that then changed their minds and posted 30.06/30.07 because of open carry, AND prohibited their employees from carrying? Maybe there's ONE guy on this board where that happened, but even that's hard to believe. I'm still waiting to see how many places that had 30.06 posted failed to update the language for 2016.

The stores they've gone to for years...we have Half Price Books and unconfirmed reports of the odd gas station and Applebees. In DFW we have the Mills mall that took down their sign.

I'm still guessing MORE places we can CC legally and definitely MORE where we can OC.
Uh, missed this before, but you think I'm lying or what? I think I've made it clear that I don't "know" if OC caused the switch, but it happened. About three months ago our company policy was updated. The policy allowed CC for about the past 5 years. During that time the company held a CHL class on company property for employees. The policy change three months ago made approval of CC more explicit but it didn't even mention OC, which I considered a bad sign. Then about a month ago, before the holidays, we were called into a meeting and told the policy had been changed again to prohibit both CC and OC...and that 30.06/30.07 signs would be posted at the entrance gates.

No reason was given for the change. I asked a pro-gun person in management that I can trust....he didn't know the reason but he did know that someone in management pointed out that the recent policy change did not address OC and that it was coming on January 1, 2016. In a month the policy changed from allowing CC and not mentioning OC to prohibiting both CC and OC. And I should mention....when I first got my CHL company policy prohibited CC. About a year later the policy was changed to allow it. I don't know what politics motivated the change but I do know that the big boss at the time had a CHL. So, was the recent change prompted by OC? I don't know but I suspect it was.

That said....so far, OC hasn't otherwise affected me. I haven't seen any 30.06 signs where there weren't any before OC. I'm not in the same situation at work that many are where CC is prohibited. My office is inside a secure facility with armed guards and I park right in front of the entrance. I don't have to walk back and forth from my vehicle through any sketchy areas, and I don't have to worry about anyone breaking into my car and stealing my gun.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

VMI77 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Tell that to the guys that can no longer carry at work. To the guys that now have to change their shopping routines, because the stores they've gone to for years are no longer available to them. The tradeoff might seem worthwhile to you, because it's had no impact on you personally. It might seem a lot less worthwhile to someone who has now had to disarm.
There were companies that allowed their employees to carry at work, that then changed their minds and posted 30.06/30.07 because of open carry, AND prohibited their employees from carrying? Maybe there's ONE guy on this board where that happened, but even that's hard to believe. I'm still waiting to see how many places that had 30.06 posted failed to update the language for 2016.

The stores they've gone to for years...we have Half Price Books and unconfirmed reports of the odd gas station and Applebees. In DFW we have the Mills mall that took down their sign.

I'm still guessing MORE places we can CC legally and definitely MORE where we can OC.
Uh, missed this before, but you think I'm lying or what? I think I've made it clear that I don't "know" if OC caused the switch, but it happened. About three months ago our company policy was updated. The policy allowed CC for about the past 5 years. During that time the company held a CHL class on company property for employees. The policy change three months ago made approval of CC more explicit but it didn't even mention OC, which I considered a bad sign. Then about a month ago, before the holidays, we were called into a meeting and told the policy had been changed again to prohibit both CC and OC...and that 30.06/30.07 signs would be posted at the entrance gates.

No reason was given for the change. I asked a pro-gun person in management that I can trust....he didn't know the reason but he did know that someone in management pointed out that the recent policy change did not address OC and that it was coming on January 1, 2016. In a month the policy changed from allowing CC and not mentioning OC to prohibiting both CC and OC. And I should mention....when I first got my CHL company policy prohibited CC. About a year later the policy was changed to allow it. I don't know what politics motivated the change but I do know that the big boss at the time had a CHL. So, was the recent change prompted by OC? I don't know but I suspect it was.

That said....so far, OC hasn't otherwise affected me. I haven't seen any 30.06 signs where there weren't any before OC. I'm not in the same situation at work that many are where CC is prohibited. My office is inside a secure facility with armed guards and I park right in front of the entrance. I don't have to walk back and forth from my vehicle through any sketchy areas, and I don't have to worry about anyone breaking into my car and stealing my gun.
My company previously had no 30.06 signs although guns were prohibited as company policy. It had been this way for ever. Most guys here are Pro 2A, LTC, gun guys, you know true Texans. Our COO included.

About a year ago, our company, previously privately owned, was acquired by a large foreign corporation and a few policy changes happened but no 30.06.

However, around Dec. 28th, both 30.06/07 signs were posted at the front entrance to the parking lot and on the main building of multi-building campus.

So, I'd say the combination of being part of a large corporation and the advent of OC contributed to the postings. But I would argue that maybe 30.06 would have happened anyway as corporate policy changes were finally implemented.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dhoobler »

LSUTiger wrote:
About a year ago, our company, previously privately owned, was acquired by a large foreign corporation and a few policy changes happened but no 30.06.

However, around Dec. 28th, both 30.06/07 signs were posted at the front entrance to the parking lot and on the main building of multi-building campus.

So, I'd say the combination of being part of a large corporation and the advent of OC contributed to the postings. But I would argue that maybe 30.06 would have happened anyway as corporate policy changes were finally implemented.
Regarding that 30.06 sign posted at the entrance to the parking lot, please read attorney general opinion GA0972.

https://texasattorneygeneral.gov/opinio ... ga0972.pdf
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

dhoobler wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:

Regarding that 30.06 sign posted at the entrance to the parking lot, please read attorney general opinion GA0972.

https://texasattorneygeneral.gov/opinio ... ga0972.pdf
Thanks! I'm aware 30.06 doesn't apply to firearms stored in your vehicle.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

We went to the Regal in Live Oak. Used to have a very non-compliant signs. 8.5x11, little contrast, not at entrances. Carried by them all the time. Now they have very compliant 06/07 signs on each entrance.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”