Costco ?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lena
Posts in topic: 8

Costco ?

Post by Lena »

Has anyone been lately> We are going today and I was wondering if any changes to the policy there, I could not find any recent info.
Would not open carry anyway there or elsewhere if possible not to do so.
Last edited by Lena on Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stay Safe

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Costco ?

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I was at the lewisville store this week and it's not posted
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

Thanks we go to Rockwall and all they had was the TABC signage before
Stay Safe

jt88
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jt88 »

I go to the Alliance location. No signs, other than the standard "unlicensed possession" notice.

I don't think that I'd try to open carry there, though. I'm pretty sure that Costco has asked its members not to. I can respect that, as long as they let me conceal.

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

Thanks I do not open carry except working here at home on my land. I would be surprised to see anyone there OC also.
Stay Safe

stealthfightrf17
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

Personal Firearms/Guns in Costco Stores
Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rex B »

I don't see that as legal notice. Its more like an opinion than a stated ban
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Lena wrote:Has anyone been lately> We are going today and I was wondering if any changes to the police there, I could and recent info.
I was at the Southlake Costco yesterday. Not posted.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Richbirdhunter »

When I joined Costco last year I talked to the manager and he told me they allow legal carry
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

stealthfightrf17
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

It does not meet Texas requirements as a notice. But it does show that it would be smart to only conceal there. However they state they will not customize there policy to meet local law.
Edit to add- They can also cancel your membership at any time.

anomie

Post by anomie »

Rex B wrote:I don't see that as legal notice. Its more like an opinion than a stated ban
this might well be a 'you wouldn't be breaking the law, but they could kill your membership if they ever figure out you're violating their policy' situation.
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both
-- unknown (If you have any information on the origination of this quote, please let me know)

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

If they actually post 30.06 or give me legal verbal notice, they won't have to cancel my membership. I'll do it for them.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Has everyone forgotten Eric Scott? He cc'ed into Costco and accidentally flashed his piece reaching for something on a high shelf. A Costco employee told him to leave the store. Eric disagreed with the employee but went straight to the checkout lane, in compliance. The employee did not think that was good enough so he (or she) called the cops with a MWAG call. Then, the cops came and used the poor guy for target practice. Keep in mind that this was in Nevada, an open carry state.

Take away lessons here;
1. Don't open carry in a corrupt police jurisdiction or even in a less than stellar police jurisdiction. How do you tell if the police is bad in the jurisdiction? Well, when cops shoot innocents, are they "put on unpaid leave" for a short while like Las Vegas or are they fired like the bad cops in Plano? Plano has had some bad cops but they (to my knowledge) were promptly fired. I would OC in Plano, but I wouldn't do so in Dallas. Dallas cops aren't bad, but Plano cops are better.

2. Don't open carry in an ant-2nd A business, even if they're not 30.07 posted. This means don't open carry in stores that have anti-2nd A policies or corporate memos such as Costco, Starbucks, Whataburger, and 30.06 posted places that forgot the 30.07 sign. Anti-2nd A businesses; http://www.2acheck.com/the-boycott-list/

3. When given verbal notice, leave IMMEDIATELY. This does not mean saunter to the checkout line, pay, then leave.

4. When you hear sirens, put down your gun AWAY from you and get down on the ground with your hands where they can see you. Do this before you even see the cops. Here is how to do it: https://youtu.be/Kr0X_gMri8k . Remember, a lot of these cops are returning vets. Some of these guys have PTSD that is undiagnosed (they were too "tough" to report it or didn't want the stigma). PTSD means that they will shoot you for the slightest provocation.

5. Only open carry when you really have to (you accidentally wore a really big coat and it is warm outside) or you are in an OC friendly business; Academy's, Cabela's, Wal-Mart (you may need to show your license), Home Depot and Kroger's. Otherwise, CC. Costco is NOT OC friendly. Just ask Eric Scott!

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Post by anygunanywhere »

Interesting post.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

drjoker wrote:Has everyone forgotten Eric Scott? He cc'ed into Costco and accidentally flashed his piece reaching for something on a high shelf. A Costco employee told him to leave the store. Eric disagreed with the employee but went straight to the checkout lane, in compliance. The employee did not think that was good enough so he (or she) called the cops with a MWAG call. Then, the cops came and used the poor guy for target practice. Keep in mind that this was in Nevada, an open carry state.

Take away lessons here;
1. Don't open carry in a corrupt police jurisdiction or even in a less than stellar police jurisdiction. How do you tell if the police is bad in the jurisdiction? Well, when cops shoot innocents, are they "put on unpaid leave" for a short while like Las Vegas or are they fired like the bad cops in Plano? Plano has had some bad cops but they (to my knowledge) were promptly fired. I would OC in Plano, but I wouldn't do so in Dallas. Dallas cops aren't bad, but Plano cops are better.

2. Don't open carry in an ant-2nd A business, even if they're not 30.07 posted. This means don't open carry in stores that have anti-2nd A policies or corporate memos such as Costco, Starbucks, Whataburger, and 30.06 posted places that forgot the 30.07 sign. Anti-2nd A businesses; http://www.2acheck.com/the-boycott-list/

3. When given verbal notice, leave IMMEDIATELY. This does not mean saunter to the checkout line, pay, then leave.

4. When you hear sirens, put down your gun AWAY from you and get down on the ground with your hands where they can see you. Do this before you even see the cops. Here is how to do it: https://youtu.be/Kr0X_gMri8k . Remember, a lot of these cops are returning vets. Some of these guys have PTSD that is undiagnosed (they were too "tough" to report it or didn't want the stigma). PTSD means that they will shoot you for the slightest provocation.

5. Only open carry when you really have to (you accidentally wore a really big coat and it is warm outside) or you are in an OC friendly business; Academy's, Cabela's, Wal-Mart (you may need to show your license), Home Depot and Kroger's. Otherwise, CC. Costco is NOT OC friendly. Just ask Eric Scott!
Not to mention that the security video system that would have captured the entire event at that Costco malfunctioned that day, really bad luck.

I've been a member of Costco (nee Price Club) since about 6 months after Mr. Price set it up in San Diego's Rose Canyon in 1976, but this occurrence in Vegas was very disquieting. I see no reason to accept the claim of malfunction, unless they bought their system at Costco.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”