Costco ?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

newlife12176
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Costco ?

Post by newlife12176 »

Just OC'd at Costco. I have been a member there for over 5 years. Never saw any 06 sign so I didn't know they were anti-2. Door guy stopped me and called a manager over. Manager said "I'm sorry but we are a membership business and do not allow open carry of firearms". I said, "yeah, of which I AM a member". He said, "sorry only LE can open carry". So this is only the second time I have open carried since Jan 1 and the SECOND time I've been asked not to. Pretty pathetic. Considering Sams membership now.

fickman

Post by fickman »

Thankfully he only gave you oral notice for open carry, and not all carry.
Native Texian

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Costco and I have an arrangement...

They don't ask and I don't tell.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

JALLEN wrote:Costco has made it plain that they won't post signs. They are a private membership warehouse, and if you enter with a firearm, and are discovered, however it happens, they refund your membership fee and cancel your membership on the spot.

This saves them the cost of all those signs (Costco is very frugal) and is a policy that can be used everywhere they operate, regardless of state law.
Costco, et al, are classic 'don't ask, don't tell' situations.

Why, oh why, do we keep belaboring the validity of the various signs in the various locations? Pull up your big boy/girl undies, make an adult decision, and either go in or don't. Either way, one does does not need validation from this forum. It's quite obvious that whatever decision one makes, its merits can/will be debated ad nauseum in/by this august body.

Have a nice day, y'all. :tiphat:

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

JALLEN wrote:Costco has made it plain that they won't post signs. They are a private membership warehouse, and if you enter with a firearm, and are discovered, however it happens, they refund your membership fee and cancel your membership on the spot.

This saves them the cost of all those signs (Costco is very frugal) and is a policy that can be used everywhere they operate, regardless of state law.
They're starting to post both signs on their liquor stores, which are attached but have a separate entrance.

This is probably due to confusion with TABC laws.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

mr1337 wrote:

They're starting to post both signs on their liquor stores, which are attached but have a separate entrance.

Don't those have to be separately owned? Those are also not members only.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

stars200

Post by stars200 »

mr1337 wrote:

The Costco liquor stores do not require a membership to shop there, at least the one in East Plano is that way. I have not seen them post at this locations liquor store but have not been in since OC started. I was in the main store this weekend and CC'd, but did not pay any attention the liquor store. They may be thinking that since you do not need a membership that they better post for non Costco members. Then again, could be confusion on the TABC rules too.

prufrock

Post by prufrock »

Oldgringo wrote:

Why, oh why, do we keep belaboring the validity of the various signs in the various locations? Pull up your big boy/girl undies, make an adult decision, and either go in or don't. Either way, one does does not need validation from this forum. It's quite obvious that whatever decision one makes, its merits can/will be debated ad nauseum in/by this august body.

You nailed it, bud.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

prufrock wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:

You nailed it, bud.
I missed your first post, but welcome to the forum. Your screen name brings back good memories. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VMI77 »

prufrock wrote:
You nailed it, bud.
J. Alfred, is that you?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

cowhow

Post by cowhow »

Pawpaw wrote:Costco and I have an arrangement...

:iagree:

Is Sam's any different?

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

LucasMcCain wrote:
Lena wrote:Agreed ...

To me if a sign is posted in view legal or not someone took the time to do so to convey a wish or thought, for me I would not question it..
In many cases, this is true. However, there are also many cases where the decision to disallow licensed carry was made at the corporate level. The person running the individual store feels differently, so he posts a non compliant sign. He has fulfilled his responsibility to corporate without actually keeping anyone from carrying in his store. Unfortunately, the only way to know which of these scenarios you're dealing with is to ask. Asking will often result in compliant signs being posted. Personally, I feel that concealed means concealed. I will carry past non compliant signs, but of course leave immediately if asked. Ultimately, though, how you react to these situations is a personal decision, and I would not dream of criticizing your way of handling them.
very wise words.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

LucasMcCain wrote:
Lena wrote:Agreed ...

To me if a sign is posted in view legal or not someone took the time to do so to convey a wish or thought, for me I would not question it..
In many cases, this is true. However, there are also many cases where the decision to disallow licensed carry was made at the corporate level. The person running the individual store feels differently, so he posts a non compliant sign. He has fulfilled his responsibility to corporate without actually keeping anyone from carrying in his store. Unfortunately, the only way to know which of these scenarios you're dealing with is to ask. Asking will often result in compliant signs being posted. Personally, I feel that concealed means concealed. I will carry past non compliant signs, but of course leave immediately if asked. Ultimately, though, how you react to these situations is a personal decision, and I would not dream of criticizing your way of handling them.
There is absolutely no proof that this happens.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

cowhow

Post by cowhow »

As every time I leave my home armed I make a moral and ethical decision in doing so. Its the same type of personal decision with signage. I may know their intent but if the sign is unenforceable then, to me, it''s transparent. If I allow intent to govern where I CC then I'm regessing back to the days of gunbuster signs. It's a more difficult circumstance with OC. I think this gets to the very reason PC 30.06 was created in the first place. It's not our responsibility to scour web sites trying to figure out a business's gun policy. According to PC 30.06 it is the business owner's job to inform us in a very specific way.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 7

Post by baldeagle »

cowhow wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Costco and I have an arrangement...

:iagree:

Is Sam's any different?
They are not signed, and they have always stated that they follow state law. I haven't been there since the 1st, so I don't know if anyone is open carrying in their stores.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”