Houston TV news story

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Houston TV news story

Post by RHenriksen »

Not on guns, but neighbors helping one another against a recent rash of burglaries (some hot). Notice anything in the video?

http://www.khou.com/story/news/crime/20 ... /78713086/
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Houston TV news story

Post by AJSully421 »

RHenriksen wrote:Not on guns, but neighbors helping one another against a recent rash of burglaries (some hot). Notice anything in the video?

I see you. And a nice OC rig. Good work.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

stingeragent
Banned

Post by stingeragent »

Nice find. Glad no one has gotten hurt yet. I may sound like an old guy (and I'm only 30) but the times really are changing. It can be hard to miss but if you think back to like 2012 ish, you rarely heard about a murder, or cop getting shot, etc, now it seems like it happens almost every day.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Good job! Did the reporter or anyone ask you about or comment on the gun?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

Awesome job. Never thought about that being a way into my house. I have thought out several things in our place. That was not one of them. Time to fix that and see what else I have missed.

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

Video is saying it's unavailable. Perhaps they didn't like it after all?
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

magillapd wrote:Video is saying it's unavailable. Perhaps they didn't like it after all?
They are all working for me, may want to try a different browser

allisji

Post by allisji »

Awesome. We need more of this kind of good publicity.

And I'm going to zip tie my garage door opener when I get home today. We always lock and latch the door into the house from the garage, but if the burglar is lucky he might find my wife's keys inside of an unlocked car (which may happen from time to time, especially if the kids are screaming.)
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

It was funny - NOBODY has mentioned the pistol. Not the news crew, not any of the neighbors. Nobody's batted an eye, or acted uncomfortable. Total non-event. Was surprised the news crew didn't either reference it explicitly during the spot, or edit it out of the pictures.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

stingeragent wrote:Nice find. Glad no one has gotten hurt yet. I may sound like an old guy (and I'm only 30) but the times really are changing. It can be hard to miss but if you think back to like 2012 ish, you rarely heard about a murder, or cop getting shot, etc, now it seems like it happens almost every day.
That's because the news media hypes it and makes it seem that way. 39 LEO's were killed by gunfire last year, down from 50 in 2014. LEO deaths have been on a decades long downward trend. For perspective, 121 LEO's were killed by gunfire in 1915, and 192 were killed by gunfire in 1930. In 1915 the population was 100 million, about 1/3 of what it is today, and about 121 million in 1930. IOW, there would have been 13 times more LEO's killed by gunfire if the rate per 100,000 was still the same as it was in 1930.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

allisji

Post by allisji »

Certainly, with the emphasis on increased break-ins and burglaries, people are more welcome to seeing a non-threating good neighbor who is armed and ready. I wonder how many of the neighbors would feel differently if they didn't have the elevated awareness of bad guys in the area.

Not that the break-ins are a good thing. But it does open the door for people to be more accepting of people carrying a self-defense handgun. I'm starting to feel more bold about having my handgun openly displayed while getting home from work/checking the mailbox or rolling the trash can back up from the curb etc.
RHenriksen wrote:It was funny - NOBODY has mentioned the pistol. Not the news crew, not any of the neighbors. Nobody's batted an eye, or acted uncomfortable. Total non-event. Was surprised the news crew didn't either reference it explicitly during the spot, or edit it out of the pictures.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

RHenriksen wrote:It was funny - NOBODY has mentioned the pistol. Not the news crew, not any of the neighbors. Nobody's batted an eye, or acted uncomfortable. Total non-event. Was surprised the news crew didn't either reference it explicitly during the spot, or edit it out of the pictures.
I posted a link to the story on my FB page with the following statement. I am going to see how many mention it.

"As with most of you I never thought of this, so a couple zip ties later and it's cheap insurance. Please feel free to join up and participate in my little social experiment."

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RHenriksen wrote:Not on guns, but neighbors helping one another against a recent rash of burglaries (some hot). Notice anything in the video?

Great job and great story. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

zimmerdesignz

Post by zimmerdesignz »

I think you may not find many people commenting on the gun because you sort of appear to be a LEO Detective by your clothing. I realize that is a stereo type to say they dress that way but the world is built on stereo types, whether people admit it or not.

It is a good representation for the gun community. Nice clean cut, nicely dressed and non threatening look. :cheers2: :tiphat:
:tiphat:

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

zimmerdesignz wrote:I think you may not find many people commenting on the gun because you sort of appear to be a LEO Detective by your clothing. I realize that is a stereo type to say they dress that way but the world is built on stereo types, whether people admit it or not.

It is a good representation for the gun community. Nice clean cut, nicely dressed and non threatening look. :cheers2: :tiphat:
I actually thought the same thing

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”