I got a 30.06 sign removed!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Breny414
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I got a 30.06 sign removed!

Post by Breny414 »

Very well written... excellent job!!!

The LTC community will protect others by protecting themselves.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Well done! :thumbs2: :txflag:

And... WELCOME!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 3

Post by imkopaka »

Abraham wrote:Seabear,

Great job and thanks for getting the 30.06 sign removed.

Seabear is spot on.

Please, not all of us are willing to jump into the line of fire to help others. If in the effort to protect me and mine, I happen to help others great, but I'm not a police officer mandated to save the public at large just because I happen to have an LTC and a gun.

You also posted "... the peace of mind that comes from knowing there are people in your store who can and will protect you if the worst should come about and a criminal with a gun comes to do evil.

Please, speak for yourself. "Can and will protect you"?

Nope, I'm not under any obligation to make that come true.

At the risk of being redundant: I chose to get an LTC, training, bought a pistol, ammo and take the time to go the range. If others choose not to, I'm not obligated to save them as they could've gotten an LTC, a gun, training, etc.

If they chose not to, they have to live with the consequences. I'm not a police officer or their on the spot bacon saver.

I think some folks are under the misguided perception us LTCers are quasi-law enforcement.
Not only are we not, we're not morally obligated to save the public at large.

Thank you for the input. I suppose with my background it's easy to forget that not everyone who thinks like me also feels like me. Between corrections and the Marines, I'm very accustomed to the "band of brothers" mentality, where everyone has each others' backs. I would put myself in harms way to stop an active shooter event, even if there was a way for me to get out. I think not only of myself and my family, but the people around me. If I have bullets left it seems awfully selfish and cowardly to run away. I sometimes forget that not everyone has the same background and I do. Not everyone has the same training and experience. Apologies for putting words in anyone's mouth! :mrgreen:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Nano

Post by Nano »

That was an excellent letter and it worked. I saved it in case I need to modify it to use like you did. We need to get rid of more 3006 signs using diplomacy like you did.
NRA Member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

imkopaka,

I hear you.

In this litigious environment, if you decide to act as a soldier/law enforcement officer,more power to you.

Just be aware of the minefield of getting into a shooting situation you think you know all the particulars of can turn out to be you being in the wrong.

Example: You see a guy and a women embroiled in a physical altercation, the guy is wailing on her and won't stop and comes at you when you tell him to stop and you use your gun, upon which she screams at you "What have done" you just killed my boy friend/husband. We were just having a fight until you involved yourself.

You're going to jail. Maybe to prison for a long stretch...

Or, an active shooter situation you think you fully understand the nuts and bolts of. (though you don't). You shoot the bad guy, who turns out to be an undercover cop trying to affect an arrest.

The list of scenarios of horror is endless.

Sure you want to get involved when you don't have to...?

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 3

Post by imkopaka »

Abraham,

All excellent points, as one can never be absolutely sure of what's happening in a situation like that. It's times like those where training comes into play, such as weapon safety rule #5: know your target and what lies beyond it. Knowing your target includes knowing that he IS a target. While you may get it wrong, there's a good chance that if you're observant, know your tools, know the rules of engagement (use of force laws, non-lethal steps, intimidation, notifying police, etc), and apply common sense, you'll get it right. I would rather try to help and screw it up than do nothing and let an innocent die due to my deliberate indifference.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

zatoman

Post by zatoman »

Great!

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Welcome to the forum, and good to see someone who is in my neck of the woods (I live and work in Gaines County). Sometime when I have access to a better machine to post from and more time to do so I will PM you.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

imkopaka wrote:Abraham,

All excellent points, as one can never be absolutely sure of what's happening in a situation like that. It's times like those where training comes into play, such as weapon safety rule #5: know your target and what lies beyond it. Knowing your target includes knowing that he IS a target. While you may get it wrong, there's a good chance that if you're observant, know your tools, know the rules of engagement (use of force laws, non-lethal steps, intimidation, notifying police, etc), and apply common sense, you'll get it right. I would rather try to help and screw it up than do nothing and let an innocent die due to my deliberate indifference.
I and many others agree with your position. It's not within me to stand idly by and allow an innocent person to be killed or brutalized.

Chas.

randy634

Post by randy634 »

Strong work!!! I also stole your letter and plan to use it. It's very well written.
“More important than your obligation to follow your conscience, or at least prior to it, is your obligation to form your conscience correctly.” – Justice Scalia

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

I fully respect the wishes of a business to ban open carry, but have little respect for banning concealed carry if it wasn't banned in 2015.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

nicely written.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Awesome outcome! If I'm not around when my wife or daughter runs out of bullets or gets in a jam I hope you are!
III

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”