Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jeffrw
Posts in topic: 2

Combined 30.06 and 30.07 sign

Post by jeffrw »

Today I noticed the following sign at my doctor's office:
20160121_115102-1.jpg
For those unable to view the picture, the English text reads: "Pursuant to Sections 30.06 and 30.07 Penal Code (Trespass by License Holder with a Handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (Handgun Licensing Law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun or a handgun that is carried openly." (The equivalent Spanish follows.)

As you can see, the 30.06 and 30.07 language has been combined, attempting to ban both concealed and open carry in one sign instead of two separate signs. Is this a valid notification?

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Combined 30.06 and 30.07 sign

Post by cbunt1 »

I am not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, BUT...

By the letter of the law, it's not an enforceable posting.

By the spirit of the law, I can't believe it's an enforceable posting.

I would speculate that an attempt to openly carry a pistol would result in an oral notification which would of course be enforceable should you fail to leave the premises.

My guess is that before this is all over, we might finally have some of that 30.06/30.07 case law we've never had before, eventually ending some of the mass speculation.

And all this is just one layman's opinion...
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I agree with cbunt1. By law not legal, and if you open carry you're going to get asked to leave if they don't just call the police first thing out.
NRA Benefactor Member

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

I would still CC if I was forced to be in there for some reason, but as said above, I wouldn't OC (technically I will almost never OC anyway but you get the point).

Actually, I just re-read the OP and saw that it's a doctor's office. If I'm the patient, I would not not even CC because you may be revealed and who knows how they'll react.

I bet they don't want those big ugly signs that are being sold by the anti crowd. They take up a lot of space and are very unattractive, so these folks are trying to cut a corner.

thetexan
Posts in topic: 8

Post by thetexan »

In their attempt to be innovative the did nothing but post a non compliant sign.

whether you wish to observe the non compliant sign and risk being given oral notification which permanently sticks to you like glue is up to you.

Most won't open carry past that sign. Many would conceal carry past that sign.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

chamberc
Posts in topic: 6

Post by chamberc »

Invalid sign, PROBABLY unenforceable but intent is clear. They don't want you carrying.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dhoobler »

Is there any case law where there was no prosecution or a conviction was overturned due to an invalid sign?
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 10

Post by ScottDLS »

dhoobler wrote:Is there any case law where there was no prosecution or a conviction was overturned due to an invalid sign?
There was a Plano nurse that carried in a non-posted hospital and the DA didn't prosecute. If you do a decent job CC'ing it's highly unlikely it's ever going to court.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

doncb

Post by doncb »

chamberc wrote:Invalid sign, PROBABLY unenforceable but intent is clear. They don't want you carrying.
They have to A) post a compliant sign, B) give verbal notification, or C) hand you a card with the compliant verbiage. If "intent" was all that mattered anyone could post any old sign like they used to be able to.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dhoobler »

ScottDLS wrote:
dhoobler wrote:Is there any case law where there was no prosecution or a conviction was overturned due to an invalid sign?
There was a Plano nurse that carried in a non-posted hospital and the DA didn't prosecute. If you do a decent job CC'ing it's highly unlikely it's ever going to court.
There is a difference between a non-posted location and a location that is posted with an invalid sign.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 10

Post by ScottDLS »

dhoobler wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
There is a difference between a non-posted location and a location that is posted with an invalid sign.
Legally there is not. Sign for "notice" are clearly defined in the law. Maybe this is why in the DPS statistics there have been no convictions on PC 30.06 in 18+ years, at least last time I looked. I'm not waiting for a judge to tell me I can do something that's already legal.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

doncb wrote:
chamberc wrote:Invalid sign, PROBABLY unenforceable but intent is clear. They don't want you carrying.
They have to A) post a compliant sign, B) give verbal notification, or C) hand you a card with the compliant verbiage. If "intent" was all that mattered anyone could post any old sign like they used to be able to.

as CHL/TLC holders we follow what is written on the law books, is it asking too much for those who want to post signs to follow the same laws that we have to follow??
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Unocat
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Unocat »

Sign is not legal. OC is not going to go well there, but I'll CC there all day long.
NRA lifetime member
Combat Veteran
"carthago delenda est"

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I'd worry about interpretation in court. A valid 30.06 sign can have a slashed circle over a handgun, and even though that isn't required, it doesn't invalidate the sign.

If a sign has all the words for a valid 30.06 sign, and also happens to intermingle the words for a 30.07, my fight will be with my word processor or with a quick chat with the manager. Not to school him on sign verbiage, but on the unwholesomeness of hoplophobia.

Guns, good. Criminals, bad. Unarmed citizens, sitting ducks.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

There is no such thing as an "illegal" 30.06 or 30.07 sign. There are enforceable signs and unenforceable signs. Enforceable signs have the force of law behind them. Unenforceable signs do not.

There is no legal penalty for posting an unenforceable 30.06, 30.07, gun-buster, ghost buster or other sign unless you are a governmental agency posting a 30.06 sign on a premises that is not off limits by statue.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”