Unposted Blood Donation?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 9

Unposted Blood Donation?

Post by chasfm11 »

Today, went to give blood at my normal Carter Bloodcare location in Lewisville. They have posted both 30.06 and 30.07 signs.

I spoke with a couple of the employees who know me as a regular, multi-gallon donor and they are as concerned about the signs as I am. Apparently, the new rules for employees are even more strict on knives etc. I filed a formal complain, specifically saying that concern was the 30.06 and that would never be back and they could stop bothering to call me until that sign comes down.

The irony is the Carter has a bunch of mobile units and uses other locations for donations. Unless they hang the signs on the mobiles or the other locations are schools (as they sometimes are) they really haven't done much of anything.

The employee at Carter told me that Red Cross was getting signs, too. Does anyone know of a blood donation point that isn't posted? I would really like to give but it won't be through Carter until their policy changes.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Unposted Blood Donation?

Post by steveincowtown »

I have an donation appt. at my usual Carter Blood Care in Fort Worth next week. They weren't posted last go around and I hope they are not next week. Will report back.

If they are posted I won't be donating.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I have donated at both Carter and the Red cross, the last time was in December mobile Red cross unit no signs then, They call on a regular basis I will ask the next time they call if their units are posted, and if so that will be my last pint. :nono:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 9

Post by chasfm11 »

steveincowtown wrote:I have an donation appt. at my usual Carter Blood Care in Fort Worth next week. They weren't posted last go around and I hope they are not next week. Will report back.

If they are posted I won't be donating.
The employees at Lewisville say that it was a corporate decision. I called the corporate number (817-412-500) and asked for the "donor advocacy group". They did not pick up so I left a message with my contact information.

Carter Bloodcare may be small enough that a flood of calls with people saying that they will no longer donate may result in a policy change. I'm guessing that they may be one of those organizations that simply posted the 30.06 now because they didn't know about it before and would have done it years ago. In that case, they never capitulate and take the 30.06 sign down.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

safety1

Post by safety1 »

For someone who likes to keep their own blood ;-) ,(selfish I know) I can't believe these organization would do this.
Every donation counts, they certainly had to foresee this would alienate some?? Wow! :shock:
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by suthdj »

I went there over a year ago and it seems I am blocked indefinitely from giving blood, apparently because of my over seas travel which only amount to Europe and China. What ever happened to beggars can't be choosers. So I will happily keep my blood to myself.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

suthdj wrote:I went there over a year ago and it seems I am blocked indefinitely from giving blood, apparently because of my over seas travel which only amount to Europe and China. What ever happened to beggars can't be choosers. So I will happily keep my blood to myself.
Those restrictions are set by the FDA.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

I have in the past donated but you know that this is a money making business and although you may feel better donating wait until you see how much you have to pay to get blood at a hospital. My local facility is The Red Cross but my local city does not use that blood but actually buys their blood from Oklahoma City. I too was a multi gallon donor but I am a little bitter about the business aspect of your free donation. With all the meds I take I can not donate anymore anyhow. You know the story though, if they post you can take your business elsewhere. This is really just another business.

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

Don't ask, don't tell, that's how I feel in this situation. I've been a blood donor since back in the 70's after I got out of the Navy. I started giving plateletes about ten years ago with a little prodding from the ladies at the center. It used to be Stewart Blood center in Longview for years. Anyway, they need the plateletes for cancer and burn victims. And I don't really give a big rat's rear what they charge, I'm trying to do my small part to help others when it only cost me some of my time. The ladies that work at our center don't make a lot of money, so in a way they're helping needy people too. They're always friendly and fun to be around and we always have a lot of laughs, cause we're all half crazy. The last few years we've discussed the CHL topic quite a bit. Some of them carry, not at work, but they all appreciate someone being ready to look out for them. I'm also an organ donor, as I won't need any of this stuff when I leave this body. Not trying to pat myself on the back, just my .02 worth.
Larry D. Price

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

rotor wrote:I have in the past donated but you know that this is a money making business and although you may feel better donating wait until you see how much you have to pay to get blood at a hospital. My local facility is The Red Cross but my local city does not use that blood but actually buys their blood from Oklahoma City. I too was a multi gallon donor but I am a little bitter about the business aspect of your free donation. With all the meds I take I can not donate anymore anyhow. You know the story though, if they post you can take your business elsewhere. This is really just another business.
Blood centers don't make that much money from a unit of blood. Carter BloodCare is a non-profit. A unit of packed red cells is about $220 to the hospitals. The price can go up quickly depending on the rarity or if it is antigen negative for certain antigens or multiple antigens. A hospital will usually at least double the cost of a unit without having really done anything to it besides cross-matching it to the patient/recipient. Other components maybe be tripled or more of the cost from the blood center providing that component to the hospital.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rotor

Post by rotor »

To houndog and C-dub, I am not critical of your donating and like I said I am a multi-gallon donor myself. And if I had to bet, the outstanding type of citizens that make up the LTC group are probably much more likely to donate than the average population. But you are donating to a business and if you want to get the signs down you need to say either that you don't care or will abstain from going to that business. There are a lot of business that are "non-profit" but they are still a business. Check up sometime and see what they pay their CEO at these non-profits and be prepared for the shock of your life. The tax returns are all on the internet.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

rotor wrote:To houndog and C-dub, I am not critical of your donating and like I said I am a multi-gallon donor myself. And if I had to bet, the outstanding type of citizens that make up the LTC group are probably much more likely to donate than the average population. But you are donating to a business and if you want to get the signs down you need to say either that you don't care or will abstain from going to that business. There are a lot of business that are "non-profit" but they are still a business. Check up sometime and see what they pay their CEO at these non-profits and be prepared for the shock of your life. The tax returns are all on the internet.
In 2012, Carter BloodCare's CEO, also a doctor, was only paid about $640k for a business that took in almost $127M. I do understand your position that it is a business and that is correct. The ARC CEO and President was paid about $650k in 2009, while the ARC took in a shade over $2B. All in all, I don't think these salaries are that outrageous for these two. They're just a little different than your major chain store or megaconglomerate that pays their heads multiple millions. For many of those they often make 10-40 times what a middle manager might make, but I also happen to know that for Carter BloodCare this multiple is only around 4-7. And by not patronizing Exxon or Microsoft, you're not hurting the public as much as not donating a unit of blood or platelets.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I always go to the mobile unit at the Dallas gun show. Benifiting the Scottish Rite Hospital. I work the SR booth to get people to donate. It will also get you free admission to the show
Last edited by RPBrown on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

rotor

Post by rotor »

C-dub wrote:
rotor wrote:To houndog and C-dub, I am not critical of your donating and like I said I am a multi-gallon donor myself. And if I had to bet, the outstanding type of citizens that make up the LTC group are probably much more likely to donate than the average population. But you are donating to a business and if you want to get the signs down you need to say either that you don't care or will abstain from going to that business. There are a lot of business that are "non-profit" but they are still a business. Check up sometime and see what they pay their CEO at these non-profits and be prepared for the shock of your life. The tax returns are all on the internet.
In 2012, Carter BloodCare's CEO, also a doctor, was only paid about $640k for a business that took in almost $127M. I do understand your position that it is a business and that is correct. The ARC CEO and President was paid about $650k in 2009, while the ARC took in a shade over $2B. All in all, I don't think these salaries are that outrageous for these two. They're just a little different than your major chain store or megaconglomerate that pays their heads multiple millions. For many of those they often make 10-40 times what a middle manager might make, but I also happen to know that for Carter BloodCare this multiple is only around 4-7. And by not patronizing Exxon or Microsoft, you're not hurting the public as much as not donating a unit of blood or platelets.
Only $640K. Not bad. The issue is though do you want to patronize a business that posts or go to one that doesn't. Either you accept that it posts and continue to utilize Carters or you donate your blood, plasma or platelets somewhere else. The fact that it is a non-profit doesn't mean it is not like any other business that depends on customers to either enter or not. I agree that what you donate helps others and when you buy Microsoft products Bill Gates spends your money on some wonderful cause in Africa. I would continue to donate if I wasn't restricted but I don't know if I would at a posted location.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Sorry double post

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”