Nobel Laureate Professor: I'm Banning Guns in My UT Classroom

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Distinguished Rick
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Nobel Laureate Professor: I'm Banning Guns in My UT Classroom

Post by Distinguished Rick »

All I can say is good luck. Liberals sure whine when they don't get their way. I'm sure UT can find a replacement for him.
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

SA-TX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SA-TX »

Distinguished Rick wrote:All I can say is good luck. Liberals sure whine when they don't get their way. I'm sure UT can find a replacement for him.
It won't be so easy. They'll try every trick in the book to appease him: "he has a laboratory", "he has xyz machinery and a firearm discharging could be dangerous", etc. It wouldn't surprise me if they put a small child care facility in his building so they can declare it gun-free. Why not? County commissioners are doing it all over the state and there is a law specifically against it. Here the board has some discretion.

No, we are going to be fighting these for awhile. Sigh.

SA-TX

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

What is "academic freedom" and how is it more free than ACTUAL freedom of those who chose to carry? By wanting his supposed academic freedom he is seeking to repress the freedom of others. And those who choose to carry would not be taking away his right to free speech by doing so.
:banghead:

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

This is the kind of attitude tenure leads to.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

When some insane person or terrorist comes to his classroom to shoot his students and himself, I wonder how firm his anti-gun stance will hold...?

goose

Post by goose »

Smokey wrote:What is "academic freedom" and how is it more free than ACTUAL freedom of those who chose to carry? By wanting his supposed academic freedom he is seeking to repress the freedom of others. And those who choose to carry would not be taking away his right to free speech by doing so.
I was trying to figure out academic freedom as well. He should be able to speak on any topic, whether it is in his field of study or not. UT can't repress his academic freedom to teach law or mechanical engineering or economics. He has a constitutional right to academic freedom!! Well, kinda. I mean, we all know that the founding fathers meant to put it in there. Right after the right to pick vinegar based BBQ sauce over the actually good stuff.

I have to wonder how he will enforce his rule. Metal detectors or "extra credit" pat downs before each class? "Ms. Jimenez, you looked a little suspicious yesterday so this might be a bit more thorough.............."

Can we at least hope that UT can choose to not pay for his courtroom expenses? If he has them contractually obligated to pay the lawyers, he has no skin in the game. Why not (from his perspective)?
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Distinguished Rick

Post by Distinguished Rick »

Abraham wrote:When some insane person or terrorist comes to his classroom to shoot his students and himself, I wonder how firm his anti-gun stance will hold...?
His "validation" will be full of holes.....unfortunately.
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Maybe students will just CC anyway and no one will be the wiser. :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

AndyC wrote:
A Nobel Prize-winning physicist at the University of Texas at Austin declared Monday that he will try to ban guns his classroom this fall, even if university rules and state law say he can't.

Steven Weinberg, who won the top prize in science in 1979, said at the university's faculty council meeting that he understands the decision could leave him vulnerable to a lawsuit. Most university task forces across the state have found that Texas' new campus carry law prohibits such a ban. But Weinberg said he believes that he would eventually win that suit because forcing professors to allow guns quashes constitutionally protected free speech and academic freedom.
http://www.texastribune.org/2016/01/25/ ... my-classr/
What will he be saying that will suddenly cause less than 4% of his students to open fire? Are Physics students normally prone to violent outbursts regarding Newton's Law or E=MC2? :???:

Anyone carrying on campus will be CC how will he enforce his ban? Surely he won't violate anyone's rights by conducting warrant-less searches will he?? :nono:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Smokey wrote:What is "academic freedom" and how is it more free than ACTUAL freedom of those who chose to carry? By wanting his supposed academic freedom he is seeking to repress the freedom of others. And those who choose to carry would not be taking away his right to free speech by doing so.
Academic freedom is telling white people, and especially white Christian males, to shut up, because "white privilege," and all males to shut up because, patriarchy, and climate change skeptics to shut up because, science. IOW, academic freedom now means the freedom for the left to silence the voices of anyone they disagree with.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 6

Post by JALLEN »

Maybe I should suggest to ADM now Chancellor McRaven that the prof be assigned to teach "Elementary Physics for Non-technical Majors" (aka Idiot Physics) to students under age 21, none of whom can lawfully carry anyway.

He's in his 80's, riding off into the sunset anyway.

Problem solved, worries resolved.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

howdy

Post by howdy »

AS already said, this guy is 82 years old. How many classes does he actually "teach". I bet he has teaching assistants doing all the class work and he just draws a pay check.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Considering how much weight some put into IQ tests and how stupid and misguided our current youth are today, I wonder when did this character get his education and form such liberal values that he holds near and dear.

This is further evidence this decline has been going on for some time now and we should be somewhat careful about throwing stones at the youth today as much of the deterioration has happened on our and our father's watch.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 6

Post by JALLEN »

mojo84 wrote:Considering how much weight some put into IQ tests and how stupid and misguided our current youth are today, I wonder when did this character get his education and form such liberal values that he holds near and dear.

This is further evidence this decline has been going on for some time now and we should be somewhat careful about throwing stones at the youth today as much of the deterioration has happened on our and our father's watch.
My granddad, a Houstonian born in 1900, often observed that the country was going down the drain.

Of course, he blamed it all on Elvis.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”