Confusion with too many rules

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Confusion with too many rules

Post by rotor »

cbunt1 wrote:It does feel a bit overwhelming at first. I remember the constant wondering about whether I was "OK" to carry.

This is oversimplifying, but frankly the places you can't carry are few enough to be an exception rather than the rule.

For most people, certain restaurants/bars, picking up the kids at school, going to the post office, and renewing the tags on your car are the most common "Maybe" questions.

Post Office is a no-go -- Federal Property
Car tags/title -- MAY be in a building that's off-limits (Lots of questions there) due to courtrooms or offices
Picking up the kids/grandkids at school -- Generally fine as long as you're staying in your car.
Restaurants: As long as it's not a 51% location, and it's not posted with 30.06 or 30.07, it's fine.

This is a GROSS oversimplification, but I find that it covers 80% of the "oh really? I can do that?" for the brand new carrier.

As always, this forum is a great resource for those questions.
I thought you were just restricted from the buildings. Never heard that you had to stay in your car. Unless they had a school activity going on in parking lot you should be able to carry, correct?

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cbunt1 »

rotor wrote:
cbunt1 wrote:It does feel a bit overwhelming at first. I remember the constant wondering about whether I was "OK" to carry.

This is oversimplifying, but frankly the places you can't carry are few enough to be an exception rather than the rule.

For most people, certain restaurants/bars, picking up the kids at school, going to the post office, and renewing the tags on your car are the most common "Maybe" questions.

Post Office is a no-go -- Federal Property
Car tags/title -- MAY be in a building that's off-limits (Lots of questions there) due to courtrooms or offices
Picking up the kids/grandkids at school -- Generally fine as long as you're staying in your car.
Restaurants: As long as it's not a 51% location, and it's not posted with 30.06 or 30.07, it's fine.

This is a GROSS oversimplification, but I find that it covers 80% of the "oh really? I can do that?" for the brand new carrier.

As always, this forum is a great resource for those questions.
I thought you were just restricted from the buildings. Never heard that you had to stay in your car. Unless they had a school activity going on in parking lot you should be able to carry, correct?
Generally, yes. I mention staying in the car because you're definitely good there.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Topic author
DonFromTexas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by DonFromTexas »

You got that right, originally I was only mildly confused, now I am REALLY confused. This should not be so darned complex, after all we who have guns are not exactly the brightest bulbs in the string anyway in all probability. :fire :fire

[quote="ralewis"]I think all the replies have reinforced the OP's original point.... "

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TVGuy »

DonFromTexas wrote:This should not be so darned complex, after all we who have guns are not exactly the brightest bulbs in the string anyway in all probability.
I beg to differ. :headscratch

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

TVGuy wrote:
DonFromTexas wrote:This should not be so darned complex, after all we who have guns are not exactly the brightest bulbs in the string anyway in all probability.
I have to agree with you, TVGuy.

At least we're smart enough to know the only way to defeat evil is with overwhelming force. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

pushpullpete
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pushpullpete »

Pawpaw wrote:
TVGuy wrote:

At least we're smart enough to know the only way to defeat evil is with overwhelming force. :tiphat:
Gentlemen, I agree with you. donfromtexas, that is rather offensive. I may not be a member of Mensa, but, I am not stupid. There are mmmaaaaannny very smart people in/on this forum.

Read more, type less. When you do type, fully engage mind first.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

pushpullpete wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
TVGuy wrote:

Gentlemen, I agree with you. donfromtexas, that is rather offensive. I may not be a member of Mensa, but, I am not stupid. There are mmmaaaaannny very smart people in/on this forum.

I didn't take DonFromTexas' remark as offensive. I just assumed he was indulging in a little self-deprecation, an activity many of us on this board indulge in from time to time. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Pawpaw, point taken. Unfortunately I missed his sarcasm.

Topic author
DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

No offense intended, just a light hearted tongue in cheek comment to get your attention.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Doh!!!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Pawpaw wrote:
pushpullpete wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
TVGuy wrote:

I didn't take DonFromTexas' remark as offensive. I just assumed he was indulging in a little self-deprecation, an activity many of us on this board indulge in from time to time. :tiphat:
Either that or it was a tiny little jab at those that thought the OP didn't realize that it was legal to carry in a church unless posted without recognizing that he acknowledged that in his OP. :roll:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rotor

Post by rotor »

These rules are too complex. There are many attorneys that provide simplified explanations ( such as Texas Municipal League) to cities throughout Texas and provide the wrong explanations. The classic being hospital, church and nursing home entry where you have to continue reading to find that you can enter unless posted. If attorneys can't figure out the rules how is the average Joe going to do it? I personally can't figure out the college campus rules and one needs a calendar to know what they are on any day and are they private, public, junior, etc.? Obviously simple is not part of the equation.

zatoman

Post by zatoman »

Just learned from another post that George Bush park in Houston (basically a flood control area controlled by the Corps of Engineers) is probably off limits to carrying. It's ironic that the largest shooting range in Houston is located in that park. I agree with the OP. WAY too many rules.

Topic author
DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I guess the flip side of the complexity is that enforcement takes that into consideration. I have not heard of anyone getting busted for being a bit dumb about all the rules. I find some comfort in CC that nobody actually KNOWS that I broke a law or two. :banghead:

SA_Steve
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SA_Steve »

There's no probably about it.
Army COE areas are strict off limits, LTC does not work there.

I remember when I lived in GA there were many of these areas, probably due to the many small dams and hydro plants from the TVA days, and all were well patrolled. Local GA gun rights folks continue to work on getting the regs/laws changed to be like national parks.
You may have the last word.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”