Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Javier730
Posts in topic: 8

Re: CHL holder shoots dog

Post by Javier730 »

ScottDLS wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:#Justice4Fido
Paws up, don't bite..... "rlol" "rlol"
Im trying to imagine dogs running around peeing and pooping everywhere, tearing up people grass, barking up a storm, but dogs have more sense than that...
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Ruark,

I had no idea Coyotes are so vile in their depredations.

You've changed my mind about them.

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

Abraham wrote:Ruark, I had no idea Coyotes are so vile in their depredations. You've changed my mind about them.
As a boy, I grew up in rural Clay County, up on the Red River. We raised cattle & quarter horses for a living. We had a gun rack in the pick up truck(as most ranchers did) for the specific reason of predator control, mainly coyotes. They could decimate a cattle herd at birthing time and costing ranchers thousands of dollars.

So bad was the coyote problem, the Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, was offering bounties for a pair of coyote ears. IIRC, the bounty was $15.00. That was in 1963, and $15.00 was a LOT of money back then.

It was very common to see coyote carcass's hanging on the fence posts of the road right of ways.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

comp73

Post by comp73 »

Ruark wrote:
The only good coyote is a dead coyote.
:iagree:
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

joe817 wrote:
Abraham wrote:Ruark, I had no idea Coyotes are so vile in their depredations. You've changed my mind about them.
As a boy, I grew up in rural Clay County, up on the Red River. We raised cattle & quarter horses for a living. We had a gun rack in the pick up truck(as most ranchers did) for the specific reason of predator control, mainly coyotes. They could decimate a cattle herd at birthing time and costing ranchers thousands of dollars.

So bad was the coyote problem, the Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, was offering bounties for a pair of coyote ears. IIRC, the bounty was $15.00. That was in 1963, and $15.00 was a LOT of money back then.

It was very common to see coyote carcass's hanging on the fence posts of the road right of ways.
Fayette County pays bounty for 'yotes ears and hog tails.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

In general, I feel my dog on a leash has greater rights than a wild animal or a dog whose owners have chosen to not properly restrain.

I would carry an ASP, which makes an excellent tool to prevent and break up dog fights, but the state has decided I am not worthy of this "sigh". Therefor my only choice on the use of force continuum is to dispatch the aggressor once the aggression is displayed.

I also live near the green belt and walk the levies 240 days a year. I would say once every two months a coyote will run down the green space below the levy. Only had to draw my weapon once, and once the coyote saw I was carrying .45 he backed right down. So glad I wasn't carrying .380, both my dog and I would probably be dead right now.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
newlife12176
Posts in topic: 4

Post by newlife12176 »

Distinguished Rick wrote:I own 2 dogs, a Boston terrier and a pug and walk them daily. I don't ever want to shoot another dog but would if it came to that. When we walk them I carry a 3 cell Maglight and some spray. My weapon is the third and last option.
I too have a Boston Terrier. He is sitting right next to me. They are amazing dogs and I will never have a different breed. So smart. Fun. Playful. Eager to please. They are fondly nicknamed "The American Gentleman". I want to make a comment about dog fights/attacks and using your firearm as a "last resort". I have seen many dog attacks. I have been attacked twice by a pitbull and german shepherd. I have worked many calls where dogs have been killed by other dogs. These attacks not only happen SO FAST, but the amount of damage done in 30 seconds could be fatal (at least when small dogs are attacked by bigger dogs). If a large breed aggressive dog grabbed a small boston terrier by the throat/head/chest it could be fatally ripped to shreds very quickly. I love dogs. I have dedicated 18 years of my life to animal welfare working as a veterinary technician and animal control officer. I don't want to kill any animals. I already have to do that enough while working at the shelter. However, using your weapon as a last resort while choosing a mag light or mace would most likely cost your dog it's life. Of course every situation dictates a different course of action/level of force, but if I am armed and my dog is attacked my pistol will be my FIRST choice of defense! I will not hesitate in dispatching another dog if it is attacking "Sir Reverend Louie Lou Dog"!

RW19

Post by RW19 »

anygunanywhere wrote:
joe817 wrote:

Fayette County pays bounty for 'yotes ears and hog tails.
Believe it or not a couple of donkeys are the best remedy for coyotes and even mountain lions. They're aggressive towards them and keep them away while you aren't there to protect them with your gun. There are several videos on youtube. My father in law had a few roping cattle at his property and there was a mountain lion in the area that had gotten one of them. He put two donkeys out and no more problems.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Ruark wrote:
Abraham wrote:Thing is, I think Coyotes are beautiful animals and wish them no harm.
Well, buddy, as someone who has raised livestock, I tend to disagree. I've had coyotes run up to a ewe giving birth, yank the lambs out of the uterus and run off with them. Or when a calf is being born and just its face is sticking out, they'll rush up and tear off its eyes, mouth and tongue, and sometimes the mother's too. Sometimes a coyote will grab a newborn lamb and, instead of killing it, take it back to the nest where the coyote pups can practice their "killing skills" on it. This consists of spending several days playing a 3-way tug-of-war with the lamb, until all of its legs are ripped off and it dies from blood loss. Coyotes are horrible, horrible, horrible animals.

The only good coyote is a dead coyote. A 257 Weatherby hollow point makes a nice 30-foot spray pattern.

I hunt hogs on a few different places. Whenever I get permission to hunt a new property I always discuss certain ground rules with the property owner, such as:
Where are buildings? Where are property boundaries? Which directions and places are unsafe to shoot?
Typically the landowner's instructions include the admonishment to "Shoot all the hogs you can and every coyote you see!" for exactly the reasons Ruark mentions above.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

I have 2 Bostons and a Corgi. All would be easy prey to a coyote. On my ranch property I have seen many pictures of coyotes on my game cameras but have not actually seen one in person. I do have lots of pigs though. I have friends that have lost pets to coyotes. When I walk the dogs in my neighborhood I carry either my gun concealed or a SJAMBOK, a plastic flexible rod, I guess it's more like a whip. Cold Steel sells them. I use them on my ranch for snakes ( I haven't actually used it yet as I haven't seen one) but I carry it there. I would much prefer breaking up a dog fight with a SJAMBOK than a gun. Since it is not a club I believe it is legal in Texas but I will not swear to that. Anyone any experience with a SJAMBOK?

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I've often wondered about this dog-shooting issue. A LOT of dogs will make a "charge," fangs bared, ears back, the whole nine yards, and then stop short. They're just being territorial. But what are you supposed to do, wait until he tears a chunk out of you (or your dog) and THEN shoot him?

In one place where we lived several years ago, we used to walk our dog around the area. It was a nice place for a walk, an outlying development near a lake, houses 200-300 feet apart, etc. One guy down the road was constantly leaving his doberman on his front porch, unrestrained. Any time anybody walked past that doberman would come CHARGING out like he was going to tear you apart, stopping only a couple of feet away. Once the owner was in the yard and I yelled at him, "if your dog does that again, he won't come back." He cussed at me and I ignored him, and the dog was kept in the back yard after that. But still, I wondered what the repercussions would be if I had just pulled out my gun and blown the animal's head off.
-Ruark

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

steveincowtown wrote:In general, I feel my dog on a leash has greater rights than a wild animal or a dog whose owners have chosen to not properly restrain.

I would carry an ASP, which makes an excellent tool to prevent and break up dog fights, but the state has decided I am not worthy of this "sigh". Therefor my only choice on the use of force continuum is to dispatch the aggressor once the aggression is displayed.

I also live near the green belt and walk the levies 240 days a year. I would say once every two months a coyote will run down the green space below the levy. Only had to draw my weapon once, and once the coyote saw I was carrying .45 he backed right down. So glad I wasn't carrying .380, both my dog and I would probably be dead right now.
:lol: Yup. You would of been another statistic along those with those who have perished facing a coyote with a .380, like Rick Perry and my great grand father. "rlol"
― Horace Mann

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Javier730 wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:So glad I wasn't carrying .380, both my dog and I would probably be dead right now.[/color]
:lol: Yup. You would of been another statistic along those with those who have perished facing a coyote with a .380, like Rick Perry and my great grand father. "rlol"
I kid, I kid. Above would be uttered by the same guy who says "I keep a shotgun by my bed, and alls I have to do is rack the slide and the criminals go running."

Home sick today and I think the Nyquil is making me appear funnier to me than I actual am!
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

rotor wrote:I would much prefer breaking up a dog fight with a SJAMBOK than a gun.
I wouldn't think an angry large dog would feel the first couple of hits.
newlife 12176 wrote:These attacks not only happen SO FAST, but the amount of damage done in 30 seconds could be fatal (at least when small dogs are attacked by bigger dogs). If a large breed aggressive dog grabbed a small boston terrier by the throat/head/chest it could be fatally ripped to shreds very quickly.
:iagree: I won't take that chance with my Boston terrier either. My defense against large aggressive dogs is my .40.
Ruark wrote:But what are you supposed to do, wait until he tears a chunk out of you (or your dog) and THEN shoot him?
Nope. At least I won't, just like I wouldn't wait for a attacker with knife to stab me.
― Horace Mann

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

steveincowtown wrote:
Javier730 wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:So glad I wasn't carrying .380, both my dog and I would probably be dead right now.[/color]
I kid, I kid. Above would be uttered by the same guy who says "I keep a shotgun by my bed, and alls I have to do is rack the slide and the criminals go running."

Home sick today and I think the Nyquil is making me appear funnier to me than I actual am!
I understood it as a joke.
― Horace Mann

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”