Houston Livestock Show/Rodeo to Prohibit OC

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mstrfrz
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Houston Livestock Show/Rodeo to Prohibit OC

Post by mstrfrz »

Does the officer work for HLS&R or for the public?

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Scott in Houston »

Well, show's over.

Our illustrious :banghead: AG's office did nothing (again). :banghead:

We have almost a full year until it starts again in 2017.
We need to really work on the AG's office and push them to get moving on their job of enforcing the law. Not just for the Rodeo, but for all public places that are trying to prevent us from exercising our right on public property.

FWIW, yesterday's security was even more of a joke. I didn't carry because I didn't want to get sent back to my car, but I could have easily. They didn't care when the magnetometer went off and didn't wand me afterwards. I have a committee badge which they could blame the magnetometer's sound for, so I could have easily carried. Oh well.

Hopefully next year, it's clearly a non-issue as the AG better had do his job!!

minytrker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by minytrker »

The AG doing nothing and someone at the roadeo saying they will just pay the daily fine really bothers me. I live out in the country with a business next door who has the same attitude. I have got them fined, wrote by the epa and they dont care because I cost them less than they are making. They just do the very minimum to keep from getting shut down and keep going. Eventually it has to stop.
The AG needs to do something or it needs to go to a higher level. It sholdnt be a double standard, if we have to follow the law why shouldn't property owners, the city, etc. Why treat the law abiding citizens like criminals?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

minytrker,

You posted: "I live out in the country with a business next door who has the same attitude. I have got them fined, wrote by the epa and they dont care because I cost them less than they are making."

Would you please elaborate as I don't understand your post.

What process got the business fined?

I don't understand what "wrote by the epa" means?

How do you cost them, at all?

Thanks!

minytrker

Post by minytrker »

They are doing things illegally so I turn them into the EPA which results in writeups and fines.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

minytrker,

Thanks.

Color me curious: What sorts of illegal activity are they involved in?

You've not mentioned anything specific, so it should be ok to discuss details.

Thanks Again!

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 9

Post by anygunanywhere »

minytrker wrote:They are doing things illegally so I turn them into the EPA which results in writeups and fines.
Sic'em minytrker! Go get'em son! Show them who's boss! :woohoo :fire

:smilelol5:
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

Abraham wrote:minytrker,

Thanks.

Color me curious: What sorts of illegal activity are they involved in?

You've not mentioned anything specific, so it should be ok to discuss details.

Thanks Again!

:iagree: At this point, we should know specifics.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by winters »

I guess now that the rodeo is over they have even less of a reason to do anything?

Jeff Barriault
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jeff Barriault »

winters wrote:I guess now that the rodeo is over they have even less of a reason to do anything?
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Like myself, others who have filed formal complaints with the AG's office have likely received correspondence stating that the matter is being investigated. Until I myself receive notice that the mater is closed I'm going to assume the process is working. If I fail to receive further notice within a reasonable amount time you can rest assured I will follow up with the AG's office concerning my complaint.

Granted the process worked too slow to make a difference at this year's rodeo, but I remain optimistic that it will be resolved before next year.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

minytrker wrote:The AG doing nothing and someone at the roadeo saying they will just pay the daily fine really bothers me.
Unfortunately this is not uncommon. I was on a jury where the defendant was charged with a city ordinance violation for posting temporary signs without a permit. He basically testified in court that he had tried advertising via standard methods and it was very costly and didn't gain him as much as signs did. We could tell he was playing the system and the fines. He would request a jury trial, plead that he was just a poor immigrant who was trying to make a living, and hope the jury would reduce his fine from the maximum. Unfortunately, even as the foreman, I couldn't convince two female jurors that he needed to be hit with the maximum fine. So in the interest of not holding the Judge and others up the other 3 male jurors and I agreed to reduce the fine to what the ladies wanted of $250 from $500. So, while he was fined, he still won by getting the fine reduced. We found out afterward from the city code inspector that this was his 5th incident in court and he had two additional tickets pending for the exact same thing. :banghead:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 5

Post by locke_n_load »

Jeff Barriault wrote:
winters wrote:I guess now that the rodeo is over they have even less of a reason to do anything?
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Like myself, others who have filed formal complaints with the AG's office have likely received correspondence stating that the matter is being investigated. Until I myself receive notice that the mater is closed I'm going to assume the process is working. If I fail to receive further notice within a reasonable amount time you can rest assured I will follow up with the AG's office concerning my complaint.

Granted the process worked too slow to make a difference at this year's rodeo, but I remain optimistic that it will be resolved before next year.
Could always carry, then when wanded tell them they cannot legally keep you from entering, then sue, especially if they try and give you some sort of ticket/free cop car ride.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Keith B wrote:
minytrker wrote:The AG doing nothing and someone at the roadeo saying they will just pay the daily fine really bothers me.
Unfortunately this is not uncommon. I was on a jury where the defendant was charged with a city ordinance violation for posting temporary signs without a permit. He basically testified in court that he had tried advertising via standard methods and it was very costly and didn't gain him as much as signs did. We could tell he was playing the system and the fines. He would request a jury trial, plead that he was just a poor immigrant who was trying to make a living, and hope the jury would reduce his fine from the maximum. Unfortunately, even as the foreman, I couldn't convince two female jurors that he needed to be hit with the maximum fine. So in the interest of not holding the Judge and others up the other 3 male jurors and I agreed to reduce the fine to what the ladies wanted of $250 from $500. So, while he was fined, he still won by getting the fine reduced. We found out afterward from the city code inspector that this was his 5th incident in court and he had two additional tickets pending for the exact same thing. :banghead:
Would like someone to try this if they say that the city will just pay the fines - carry at rodeo, then when wanded tell them they cannot legally keep you from entering, then sue, especially if they try and give you some sort of ticket/free cop car ride.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

This past Saturday I attended the San Jacinto College graduation at NRG Stadium to watch a long time friend receive his diploma. I observed several San Jac PD officers working security but they were not checking individuals for weapons, merely being a presence. My wife and I wondered while driving to Houston to attend this if they would be doing any screening for weapons since it was a college function. As always, we were both carrying as we are commissioned peace officers.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

locke_n_load wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Would like someone to try this if they say that the city will just pay the fines - carry at rodeo, then when wanded tell them they cannot legally keep you from entering, then sue, especially if they try and give you some sort of ticket/free cop car ride.
:iagree: If they get the right jury for the civil trial, the payout should be enough to dissuade any further criminal behavior by the folks who run the city.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”