CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Cant mention guns at work?

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Jusme wrote: If they have no written policy, then it's not a policy,it's arbitrary. It does sound like someone has a grudge against you in some other area.
I think this is more likely the case.

A friend of mine was recently fired for giving her opinion.
She was asked by a VP for her honest opinion about how the HR department was handling a certain issue.
He reported their conversation to the HR department.
She was fired for "spreading lies" about them.
Sounds like a good opportunity for a lawyer to take up a retaliation case against them. These types of tactics are a VERY good way for a company to lose a lot of money.
She talked to a lawyer. The company changed their mind and decided that they didn't have enough evidence to fire her for cause.
Then they laid her off. The lawyer didn't think that she had enough cause for a lawsuit. :mad5
NRA Endowment Member

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by VoiceofReason »

WildBill wrote:
Keith B wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Jusme wrote: If they have no written policy, then it's not a policy,it's arbitrary. It does sound like someone has a grudge against you in some other area.
I think this is more likely the case.

A friend of mine was recently fired for giving her opinion.
She was asked by a VP for her honest opinion about how the HR department was handling a certain issue.
He reported their conversation to the HR department.
She was fired for "spreading lies" about them.
Sounds like a good opportunity for a lawyer to take up a retaliation case against them. These types of tactics are a VERY good way for a company to lose a lot of money.
She talked to a lawyer. The company changed their mind and decided that they didn't have enough evidence to fire her for cause.
Then they laid her off. The lawyer didn't think that she had enough cause for a lawsuit. :mad5
She should have found another lawyer. Anyone could have seen through that little dance, especially if they hired someone right away to replace her.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

PBratton
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PBratton »

hankintexas wrote::mad5 Had a heck of a day at work. I am a manager at a large security company. I was called by HR and informed that I was over heard talking about guns at work and it will not be tolerated in the work place. When I asked if someone had reported me making a threat, I was told no. We are not allowed to talk about firearms in the work place. My company has a zero tolerance policy and even mentioning a firearm is enough for termination according to the HR Department.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? This is probably going to end up with me being terminated....... everyone comes to me to discuss firearms and shooting. Now I am being told to write up anyone who approches me with "gun talk".

Needless to say, today I begin hunting for a new job. :mad5
Sorry to hear about that Hank, guess I'll cut them off my vendor list... :fire
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

tyree
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tyree »

I've worked at several places over the years that have that uber-sensitive approach. The majority of office environments in my field have standard, boiler plate, anti-gun, hyper-sensitive handbook policy language promoted by the HR dept. We pretty much just ignore it and talk about politics, religion, guns, knives, military service or whatever we want. We just try to do so in a way that give others that aren't interested in those topics a little space. Courtesy works both ways.

If a company I work for/with can't be respectful enough to treat their employees like adults I start looking for a new position elsewhere. I'm grateful that the current company I work for has quite a few CHL/LTC holders among the owners, management, and engineers.

I hope the OP can find a better position elsewhere.
Last edited by tyree on Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
hankintexas
Posts in topic: 8

Post by hankintexas »

WildBill wrote:This may anger some of the forum members, but when one is at work, you are supposed to talk about work related issues, not guns, shooting or hunting.
I agree that what you discuss on your breaks or at lunch is not the company's business, but if on work hours I suggest avoiding the discussions.
If you can't be fired for free speech, you can be fired for wasting time and not working. :tiphat:
It was during an employee interview. I was interviewing a former police officer. he relocated here from another state after being in a very public shooting. He is also is a military veteran who has won a bronze star and a purple heart. Our discussion revolved around his situation. He investigated me prior to the interview wanting to be ready to question me. He saw my military background and began talking to me about how he found my information. He also told me about the incident he was involved in and where to look up the story about it. during the conversation, he provided very detailed and meticulous information. he held nothing back.

He is a very impressive person and a West Point Graduate. I wanted to hire him except he was asking for a salary I cannot provide. That said, If no one has a job for me and does have one for someone of that caliber, let me know. I will reach out to him and give him your company information.

I was also informed by HR that I am considered unapproachable and prone to violence per several reports.

My resume is prepared and being floated as of today. I will not divulge the company name as some of the employees may be on this page.
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WildBill
Posts in topic: 9

Post by WildBill »

hankintexas wrote:My resume is prepared and being floated as of today. I will not divulge the company name as some of the employees may be on this page.
Good luck on your job search. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Regardless of future plans, I would want to have the written company policy in hand just to know where I stood.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

hankintexas wrote:
WildBill wrote:This may anger some of the forum members, but when one is at work, you are supposed to talk about work related issues, not guns, shooting or hunting.
I agree that what you discuss on your breaks or at lunch is not the company's business, but if on work hours I suggest avoiding the discussions.
If you can't be fired for free speech, you can be fired for wasting time and not working. :tiphat:
It was during an employee interview. I was interviewing a former police officer. he relocated here from another state after being in a very public shooting. He is also is a military veteran who has won a bronze star and a purple heart. Our discussion revolved around his situation. He investigated me prior to the interview wanting to be ready to question me. He saw my military background and began talking to me about how he found my information. He also told me about the incident he was involved in and where to look up the story about it. during the conversation, he provided very detailed and meticulous information. he held nothing back.

He is a very impressive person and a West Point Graduate. I wanted to hire him except he was asking for a salary I cannot provide. That said, If no one has a job for me and does have one for someone of that caliber, let me know. I will reach out to him and give him your company information.

I was also informed by HR that I am considered unapproachable and prone to violence per several reports.

My resume is prepared and being floated as of today. I will not divulge the company name as some of the employees may be on this page.
Oh man do I ever know what it's like being set up in this exact way. Long, long story. Best of luck to you.

Kenneth77

Post by Kenneth77 »

I would be unemployed if that happened to me because the first thing i'd do after a meeting like that is go out and start taking non stop about guns
leeproductsonline.com

Topic author
hankintexas

Post by hankintexas »

As of today, I am no longer employed there. They actually called the police and searched my vehicle after firing me. They seemed surprised I did not have a gun.
Hank Henry
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Hank, I hope you find a great job real soon! :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

DocV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DocV »

hankintexas wrote:As of today, I am no longer employed there.

My condolences as I know this has to be painful even if you had already decided to look for more interesting things to do.
hankintexas wrote:They actually called the police and searched my vehicle after firing me. They seemed surprised I did not have a gun.
Hmmm... Words escape me. What justified a search after you were fired?

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

DocV wrote:
hankintexas wrote:They actually called the police and searched my vehicle after firing me. They seemed surprised I did not have a gun.
Yeah... How did they justify that?

Sorry about you being out of work :-(
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
hankintexas

Post by hankintexas »

Dave2 wrote:
DocV wrote:
Yeah... How did they justify that?

Sorry about you being out of work :-(

They did not justify it and I did not ask them to. The truck belonged to them. I really did not care about the search as I know the employment rules at the company and never carried there.

I will find a new job soon and they just helped me in the long run. I do not stress the stuff I cant do anything about.
Hank Henry

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

hankintexas wrote:

Sad, best of luck to you.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”