Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Cant mention guns at work?

Post by Dave2 »

hankintexas wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
DocV wrote:
hankintexas wrote:They actually called the police and searched my vehicle after firing me. They seemed surprised I did not have a gun.
Hmmm... Words escape me. What justified a search after you were fired?
Yeah... How did they justify that?

Sorry about you being out of work :-(

They did not justify it and I did not ask them to. The truck belonged to them. I really did not care about the search as I know the employment rules at the company and never carried there.

I will find a new job soon and they just helped me in the long run. I do not stress the stuff I cant do anything about.
Ah! A company car! Yeah, that part doesn't bother me anymore. I'd expect them to search it, actually, to ensure you didn't forget anything.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

rentz
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rentz »

hankintexas wrote:As of today, I am no longer employed there. They actually called the police and searched my vehicle after firing me. They seemed surprised I did not have a gun.
sorry to hear that, what grounds did they fire you on? that you discussed firearms? or did they throw the complaints of you being confrontational?
I've always said...if someone wants you gone they WILL find a reason (unfortunately i've seen this happen too often)

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

hankintexas wrote:As of today, I am no longer employed there. They actually called the police and searched my vehicle after firing me. They seemed surprised I did not have a gun.

I am sorry to hear you went through all of this. I hope you land a job quickly. I am so thankful that I work at a very gun pro business.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Firing over something that isn't illegal and not having violated a legal company policy is pretty bold on their part and smart if they haven't actually disclosed an actual reason for the termination. It is unfortunate for Hank, but hopefully, will result in better employment in the long run.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

DocV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DocV »

Texas is a right to work state. The employer does not need to provide a reason for firing an employee. That road works both ways as an employee does not need to provide a reason for leaving either. Leaving a bad work situation quietly is seldom a bad move.

madwildcat

Post by madwildcat »

DocV wrote:Texas is a right to work state. The employer does not need to provide a reason for firing an employee. That road works both ways as an employee does not need to provide a reason for leaving either. Leaving a bad work situation quietly is seldom a bad move.
I would have to agree with DocV, while the situation sounds crappy, you will hopefully end up better in the long run (and in a place surrounded by those that aren't so easily offended :mrgreen: ).

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

DocV wrote:Texas is a right to work state. The employer does not need to provide a reason for firing an employee. That road works both ways as an employee does not need to provide a reason for leaving either. Leaving a bad work situation quietly is seldom a bad move.
So Hank doesn't have to have a union card to work in a closed shop security company and can't be forced join the union just to work. What does that have to do with him getting fired for talking about guns? :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

DocV

Post by DocV »

ScottDLS wrote:
So Hank doesn't have to have a union card to work in a closed shop security company and can't be forced join the union just to work. What does that have to do with him getting fired for talking about guns? :biggrinjester:
Well, excusez-moi! At-will state. I sit corrected.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

DocV wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Well, excusez-moi! At-will state. I sit corrected.
"rlol" IOW Fired Just Because
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

While we're at it... ALL 50 states are "at will employment" states, subject to limitations of Federal and State law. So it doesn't really help to say Texas is "at will". So is Massachusetts....and the all the other states. I gues we can say.... "Since the US is an "at will" employment country..." :lol:

There is a Federal "public policy" exemption to at will employment...the firing or employment contract is clearly contrary to public policy (e.g. requires illegal behavior, discriminates based on race, etc.). Most states including Texas also have this "public policy" exemption at the state level.

Texas and about 12 others don't recognize the "implied contract" of an employee handbook, unless it is part of a written contract.

Well at least I don't have to join the labor union... "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

WildBill
Posts in topic: 9

Post by WildBill »

ScottDLS wrote:While we're at it... ALL 50 states are "at will employment" states, subject to limitations of Federal and State law. So it doesn't really help to say Texas is "at will". So is Massachusetts....and the all the other states. I gues we can say.... "Since the US is an "at will" employment country..." :lol:

There is a Federal "public policy" exemption to at will employment...the firing or employment contract is clearly contrary to public policy (e.g. requires illegal behavior, discriminates based on race, etc.). Most states including Texas also have this "public policy" exemption at the state level.

Texas and about 12 others don't recognize the "implied contract" of an employee handbook, unless it is part of a written contract.

Well at least I don't have to join the labor union... "rlol"
I have had this discussion/argument with so many people I can't remember. :banghead:

Them: They can't fire me for no reason.
Me: Yes they can.
Them: No they can't. I'll complain to HR and I'll sue them.
Me: Good Luck!
NRA Endowment Member

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by VoiceofReason »

ScottDLS wrote:
I am glad you asked that question. Had he been a member of a good union his employer would have to fire him according to an agreed and published set of procedures and code of conduct.

First (for normal misconduct or low quality or quantity of work) the company would have to give him a verbal reprimand with a union rep present. The company representative would be required to inform him what he has done/is doing wrong and state what the company expects him to do to correct the problem.

If the employee does not remedy the situation, the next step is for the company to give him a letter giving him a time limit to bring his quantity and or quality of work up to at least average standards of everyone else and inform him if he fails he will be terminated.

The third step is a letter of termination.

If the employee does something bad enough, management can fire the employee at any step along the process. This process only provides the employees some semblance of due process and fairness.

Texas is a “Right to Work” state meaning unions cannot have “Closed Shops” where you must belong to the Union in order to work there. In a Right to Work” state the law requires the Union to represent even non members.

The law however does not say how well the Union must represent non members. :evil2:
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Yes and he could have his union dues money go exclusively to Hillary, Bernie, and Democrats only to support causes that are diametrically opposed to the 2nd amendment, and encourage higher taxes, regulation, and spending by a massive federal bureaucracy that is 80% unionized itself... :biggrinjester:

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

VoiceofReason wrote:
The law however does not say how well the Union must represent non members. :evil2:
Thank goodness, last thing I'd want is my interest rolled into those of the union. I can look out for myself just fine.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
hankintexas
Posts in topic: 8

Post by hankintexas »

This had nothing to do with Unions. I have never been in an occupation with a union. If a union were a condition of employment and required to work in a state, I would join.

This was just a bad position to be in.

I have no plans to sue them. I am just moving on and putting it behind me.
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”