CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Re: SXSW Weapons Free policy 2016

Post by thatguyoverthere »

ScottDLS wrote:
thatguyoverthere wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... -in-texas/
But while gun-rights advocates might want to bring their firearms near the president, the Secret Service has invoked its authority under federal law to prevent that from happening. Hoback said in an email that Sections 3056 and 1752 of Title 18 in the U.S. Code give the agency the right to prevent "firearms from entering sites visited by” officials they are protecting, “including those located in open-carry states.”

“Only authorized law enforcement personnel working in conjunction with the Secret Service for a particular event may carry a firearm inside of the protected site,” Hoback said. “Individuals determined to be carrying firearms will not be allowed past a predetermined outer perimeter checkpoint, regardless of whether they possess a ticket to the event.”
I haven't looked up the statutes that were referenced by the SS agent in this article, but apparently they believe that federal law trumps the 2A. Anyone surprised?
I did and they could conceivably use them to exclude people in advance with wanding or pre-checks, but if they were to catch you CCing or open carrying with a license, the most they could do would be kick you out. You wouldn't have violated any federal statute, just by carrying...or at least not that one.
"... shall not be infringed." Well, I guess we can dream, can't we.

mreed911
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mreed911 »

thatguyoverthere wrote:"... shall not be infringed." Well, I guess we can dream, can't we.
There's no infringement when you willingly cede your right in exchange for whatever they're offering you. Don't like the terms? Don't buy the product/service.

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by der Teufel »

thatguyoverthere wrote:"... shall not be infringed." Well, I guess we can dream, can't we.

No rights are absolute.

There are restrictions on freedom of speech, on the right of assembly, etc.

Arguments abound regarding the appropriateness of the restrictions, and those sometimes keep the courts busy, but I can't settle those questions. That's the job of the SCOTUS.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”