411 Sign

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KLB
Posts in topic: 1

411 Sign

Post by KLB »

The Walmart in Hallettsville has an odd sign. It merely prohibits weapons possession by persons without a license. That's no big deal as to handguns, but "weapon" is not synonymous with "handgun." There's the ambiguity with whether any given knife is a weapon or a tool.Image

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: 411 Sign

Post by Keith B »

Weapons are defined in Texas Penal Code 46. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm

46.01 gives the definitions, and 46.02 lists how and when they can and cannot be carried. Government Code 411 Subchapter H is the subchapter for LTC holders.

So, what this says is, you cannot carry any 'weapon' into the store, and that would include long guns and illegal knives as defined in 46.01.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

Keith B wrote:Weapons are defined in Texas Penal Code 46. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm

46.01 gives the definitions, and 46.02 lists how and when they can and cannot be carried. Government Code 411 Subchapter H is the subchapter for LTC holders.

So, what this says is, you cannot carry any 'weapon' into the store, and that would include long guns and illegal knives as defined in 46.01.
Question I have Keith B, the sign says it is unlawful. What law would one be breaking?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

rotor wrote:
Keith B wrote:Weapons are defined in Texas Penal Code 46. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm

Question I have Keith B, the sign says it is unlawful. What law would one be breaking?
46.02 due to TABC rules. It is a TABC sign, similar to this, just worded differently

Looking at the photo, it appears they have the sign in the image above posted below the ones shown.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Following up, the TABC rules state that verbiage here https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/sign_requirements.asp under the On-Premise Retail Establishment section. I think some of these signs were issued by TABC before they had the 'Unlicensed Possession' signs available.
Keith

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

Keith B wrote:
rotor wrote:

46.02 due to TABC rules. It is a TABC sign, similar to this, just worded differently

Looking at the photo, it appears they have the sign in the image above posted below the ones shown.
You have very good eyes to spot that. Thanks.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Long guns are not defined as "weapons" in 46.01, so the sign is wrong. I think it was an attempt to provide language that would help enforce the TABC rule on ABC licensee's "allowing" firearms in their stores (could lose their TABC license).
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ScottDLS wrote:

Long guns are not defined as "weapons" in 46.01, so the sign is wrong. I think it was an attempt to provide language that would help enforce the TABC rule on ABC licensee's "allowing" firearms in their stores (could lose their TABC license).
True. TABC rules prohibit licensee from allowing long guns.
Keith

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

rotor wrote:

None. There is no .06/.07 type statute which can be used to prohibit someone from carrying a legal weapon by the enforcement of a statute, similar to .06/.07 that I am aware of. Walmart can, under a theory of trespassing, ask you to leave because they don't want baseball hats, sandles, knives or anything else. You would then have the right to sue them for prohibiting you from being inside with something that is legal to own but for which there is no statutory provision allowing prohibition.

What is the legal difference between this sign and one that says leather belts are prohibited. I say none. To whatever degree one is enforceable the other is also. To whatever degree one isn't, the other one isn't also.

The reason you cannot carry an unlicensed possessed handgun is not because of this sign but rather chapter 46. This sign adds no more muscle to the already existing statute.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

thetexan wrote:
rotor wrote:

None. There is no .06/.07 type statute which can be used to prohibit someone from carrying a legal weapon by the enforcement of a statute, similar to .06/.07 that I am aware of. Walmart can, under a theory of trespassing, ask you to leave because they don't want baseball hats, sandles, knives or anything else. You would then have the right to sue them for prohibiting you from being inside with something that is legal to own but for which there is no statutory provision allowing prohibition.

What is the legal difference between this sign and one that says leather belts are prohibited. I say none. To whatever degree one is enforceable the other is also. To whatever degree one isn't, the other one isn't also.

The reason you cannot carry an unlicensed possessed handgun is not because of this sign but rather chapter 46. This sign adds no more muscle to the already existing statute.

tex
If TABC persons see a long gun (i.e. Unlicensed Firearm) in a store, they can pull the pull the stores alcohol license.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”