Doseum San Antonio off limits?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Zombified
Posts in topic: 6

Doseum San Antonio off limits?

Post by Zombified »

I'm visiting the DoSeum in San Antonio today and there's no visible 30.06 or 30.07. However, there is a sign by the parking lot that says it's registered as a educational institution with the state of Texas. Does anyone have better search capabilities than I and know if this place is off limits for licensed carry?

TangoX-ray
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Doseum San Antonio off limits?

Post by TangoX-ray »

The DoSeum is an educational institution, and as such, firearms are not allowed inside our facility or within 1,000ft, per Texas Penal Code 46.03.
http://www.thedoseum.org/visit/guest-vi ... -policies/
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

TangoX-ray

Post by TangoX-ray »

Take the 1000 feet remark with a grain of salt. I think its referring to the GFSZA, which as a CHL, does not apply.
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by suthdj »

TangoX-ray wrote:
The DoSeum is an educational institution, and as such, firearms are not allowed inside our facility or within 1,000ft, per Texas Penal Code 46.03.
http://www.thedoseum.org/visit/guest-vi ... -policies/
Just because they say it does not make it valid.
See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62745&hilit=tea.texas#p770133
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
Zombified

Post by Zombified »

I agree but couldn't find anything on their website. I'll look closer when I get to a computer.

338winmag

Post by 338winmag »

Who owns the property at 2800 Broadway? If it's owned by the city, then you can carry, whether they like it or not.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

338winmag wrote:Who owns the property at 2800 Broadway? If it's owned by the city, then you can carry, whether they like it or not.
It is owned by SACM Title Holdings, which is the DoSeum's 501(c)(3) company http://nonprofits.findthecompany.com/l/ ... ldings-Inc, so, it is not a government owned entity.

And, owned by government does NOT mean you can carry there is they are statutorily off-limits. A school is owned by the government, but you can't carry there.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

So I guess the question becomes whether or not they are a recognized educational facility?

Still, lacking a clear ruling as to what constitutes an educational facility, I would be very wary of carrying there. Carrying past a 30.06 (not condoning doing so) is a fine. Carrying somewhere covered by GFSA or similar carries much stiffer penalties. I would want to be extremely sure I was on the correct side of the law in this case.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

LucasMcCain wrote:So I guess the question becomes whether or not they are a recognized educational facility?

Still, lacking a clear ruling as to what constitutes an educational facility, I would be very wary of carrying there. Carrying past a 30.06 (not condoning doing so) is a fine. Carrying somewhere covered by GFSA or similar carries much stiffer penalties. I would want to be extremely sure I was on the correct side of the law in this case.
They are not a school if you look at the Texas Education Code definition of a school. Since they are apparently not owned by the City, they just ought to put up a 30.06/07 sign and be done with it. But if they don't you could carry. Federal GFSZA doesn't apply to LTC carrying a handgun even if they were a school, which they are not.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Zombified

Post by Zombified »

Thanks for all the replies. I will see if I can find a way to find out if they are in fact registered in the state of Texas as an educational facility.

Topic author
Zombified

Post by Zombified »

I have checked TEA website and TEPSAC and there's nothing under the name Doseum. I'll try calling them today and ask them about it.

billypat

Post by billypat »

46.03 (a)(1) (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

As the DPS stated to us during our training and retraining(s) the Federal GFSZA is normally a compounded or stacked issue, it adds to what is, not normally a stand alone issue.

Premises is clearly defined: stand out side on the sidewalk if it is a "educational institution."

Curious to see their rating/status in Texas. Wonder where one can look this up?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Doseum website tries to convince people that they are an educational facility, but I am not convinced.
I am sure kids can learn stuff there, but that doesn't make them an educational institution.
It seems that they are trying to use the same justification as some zoos.
I don't know of anyone with a diploma, degree or certificate from Doseum. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Zombified wrote:I have checked TEA website and TEPSAC and there's nothing under the name Doseum. I'll try calling them today and ask them about it.
Are you going to tell them why you are asking?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Zombified

Post by Zombified »

No. I actually sent an email instead requesting their Texas registration number. I didn't mention their no firearms policy or the reason I would like to know.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”