NICS background check on myself?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Turban cowboy
Posts in topic: 2

NICS background check on myself?

Post by Turban cowboy »

I was wondering if there is a way to get a NICS background check on my own?

If not, I remember being asked if I wanted a copy of my NICS background check during the online LTC app..fingerprinting I think? Is there any way I can change that request and get a copy? I'm sure I have a clean record. It's just always nice to have a physical document attesting to it as well :lol:: :txflag:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NICS background check on myself?

Post by WildBill »

I don't know why you would want it other than just for fun.

As long as you have a valid LTC they shouldn't have to run another check on you when you are buying a gun.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Turban cowboy

Post by Turban cowboy »

WildBill wrote:I don't know why you would want it other than just for fun.

As long as you have a valid LTC they shouldn't have to run another check on you when you are buying a gun.
It essentially is just for fun. :thewave

I have never seen what a "background check" looks like. Even when moving from Toronto to DFW, it was all electronic. :headscratch

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

It's a very good point. We should all be able to do a background check on ourselves, just to make sure that there are no mistakes that need correcting. What if there is a warrant out for me by mistake? Let's say I show up for jury duty but my name doesn't get entered into the computer properly. The judge puts out a warrant for those who don't show up. I could have a warrant that I won't know about until I get stopped for having a taillight burned out.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

comp73

Post by comp73 »

Lots of places online for this. Here is an article from PC world that should point you in the right direction.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/219593/h ... _free.html
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Big box stores will still run NICS check, even if you have LTC.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

Turban cowboy wrote:I was wondering if there is a way to get a NICS background check on my own?
No. You must be getting a gun to have a NICS check done.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

RossA wrote:It's a very good point. We should all be able to do a background check on ourselves, just to make sure that there are no mistakes that need correcting. What if there is a warrant out for me by mistake? Let's say I show up for jury duty but my name doesn't get entered into the computer properly. The judge puts out a warrant for those who don't show up. I could have a warrant that I won't know about until I get stopped for having a taillight burned out.
Something similar actually happened to me. I was pulled over and informed there was a warrant associated with my car. The LEO gave me a woman's name I had never heard before and said the warrant was for her, and she must have been driving my car 6 months ago. I politely informed the officer that I don't let anyone drive my car except me and occasionally my wife. Long story short(er): I had to call the city the warrant was from and give them my plate number, they said that was the plate associated with the warrant, but the car's description was a different make, model, and color. I faxed them a copy of my registration receipt, and that took care of it. Apparently someone along the line just wrote the plate number down wrong.

That probably wouldn't have made a difference on a NICS check, but my point is that sometimes all it takes is a typo for you to end up with a warrant. It would be good if we could check for that sort of thing ourselves.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

mr1337 wrote:

Cabela's did not when I bought a PX4 last year. I was in and out in 30 minutes.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

mr1337 wrote:

USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

oohrah wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

Last I heard, Academy still runs NICS. Not sure about other stores.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

mr1337 wrote:
oohrah wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

I bought at academy last year in Pasadena using my chl. No background check. Are you confusing the transfer form with the background check?
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Breny414

Post by Breny414 »

Turban cowboy wrote:I was wondering if there is a way to get a NICS background check on my own?

If not, I remember being asked if I wanted a copy of my NICS background check during the online LTC app..fingerprinting I think? Is there any way I can change that request and get a copy? I'm sure I have a clean record. It's just always nice to have a physical document attesting to it as well :lol:: :txflag:
I think you are talking about the fingerprint background check... you have the option to get a copy of your background check for $25, I thInk.

Breny414

Post by Breny414 »

Texas_Blaze wrote:
mr1337 wrote:
oohrah wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

I bought at academy last year in Pasadena using my chl. No background check. Are you confusing the transfer form with the background check?
At Cabela's you still have to fill out the computerized transfer form just like you would without your CHL... takes just as long but they don't run the NICS check. I'm sure it's the same at Academy.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

mr1337 wrote:
oohrah wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

I have bought 5 guns at 3 different Academy stores in the last year or so using my CHL, none have run NICS checks. You still have to fill out the one form (can't remember the form number), but that's it. I not saying ALL Academy's don't, but I haven't experienced any yet. In fact, the last gun I bought, there was a gentleman who was at the gun counter buying a shotgun that was standing there before I even walked up waiting for his NICS check to come back. I picked out my gun, filled out the one form, the manager approved it and as we were walking to the front to pay, I heard him ask why he had to wait and I was already done. The employee just told him, "that's one advantage of having a CHL". :smilelol5:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”