Question on LTC

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Butterslime
Posts in topic: 2

Question on LTC

Post by Butterslime »

Hello, I have a quick question on getting the LTC and hopefully someone can clarify it for me. My wife and I are setting up on going for the classes and pay for the license, I am all good as far as background and records, she on the other hand got arrested about 7 yrs ago back in CT and charged with a bunch of things. She spent a few hours in jail and the judge eventually nolled the whole thing. Shes been able to purchase different guns with no problems from different stores doing her background and fingerprints. My question is, can she go for the LTC or are they going to deny her application? Thanks in advance :coolgleamA:

FCH
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question on LTC

Post by FCH »

I have no idea what you mean by:
Butterslime wrote:...the judge eventually nolled the whole thing....
There are several different possibilities. If all the charges were dismissed, then your wife will have no problem but if the charges were disposed of in any way other than a dismissal, then there are a whole bunch of different rules. The first thing you must find out are the actions taken on the charges. Then if any charges were not outright dismissed, you will need to specify the charges and their disposition before anyone can guess their impact on her ability to get a LTC.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
Butterslime

Post by Butterslime »

Appreciate the response, as for what a nolle is, I can give you a definition from another site which is "when the prosecutor decides to drop your criminal charge in Connecticut". Ill have her look more into her charge and see what she can find. Thanks again

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Butterslime wrote:Appreciate the response, as for what a nolle is, I can give you a definition from another site which is "when the prosecutor decides to drop your criminal charge in Connecticut". Ill have her look more into her charge and see what she can find. Thanks again
If the charges were dropped, then there is no court disposition on the charges, and therefore no disqualifications for LTC. But you should be sure. Also, because gov't is notoriously bad at record keeping, the arrests may show up in the DPS background check, and they may suspend the application pending her explanations, and proof backing them up. No way to know for sure except by applying.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Butterslime wrote:Hello, I have a quick question on getting the LTC and hopefully someone can clarify it for me. My wife and I are setting up on going for the classes and pay for the license, I am all good as far as background and records, she on the other hand got arrested about 7 yrs ago back in CT and charged with a bunch of things. She spent a few hours in jail and the judge eventually nolled the whole thing. Shes been able to purchase different guns with no problems from different stores doing her background and fingerprints. My question is, can she go for the LTC or are they going to deny her application? Thanks in advance :coolgleamA:
Welcome to the forum. I am not familar with the term "nolled", but IMO she needs to get official documents with the dispositions to submit to DPS with her application.
The fact that she has been able to "purchase different guns with no problems" has no bearing on her duty to answer the questions on the LTC application or her eligibility for an LTC per Texas law. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Is "nolled" like nulled or nullified?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote:Is "nolled" like nulled or nullified?
Butterslime wrote:Appreciate the response, as for what a nolle is, I can give you a definition from another site which is "when the prosecutor decides to drop your criminal charge in Connecticut". Ill have her look more into her charge and see what she can find. Thanks again
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

C-dub wrote:Is "nolled" like nulled or nullified?
nolle prosequi. (no-lay pro-say-kwee) n. Latin for "we shall no longer prosecute," which is a declaration made to the judge by a prosecutor in a criminal case (or by a plaintiff in a civil lawsuit) either before or during trial, meaning the case against the defendant is being dropped.
Nolle Prosequi - Legal Dictionary | Law.com
dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=1330Law.com Legal Dictionary
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”