Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

roadkill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

Post by roadkill »

Since Dallas zoo is now an amusement park are they in violation of any amusement park codes? Be a real shame if they got classified as one without being up to snuff on the associated regulations.

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

DanD wrote:I'm hoping this is a fake April Fools story:
The office – led by Ken Paxton, a Republican – said in a letter dated Wednesday that the zoo qualifies as an amusement park. That’s an area where state law says the licensed carrying of handguns can be prohibited, so long as the proper notice is given.
http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/ ... -ban.html/
One more place I won't be going to anytime soon. Their loss. On the whole, do I care?
No. There are places that actually want my business; so I'll go there and spend instead.

It's not personal; it's business.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Solaris
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Solaris »

Adding to the confusion is this circular logic:

30.06 says 30.06 does not apply on govt property unless prohibited from carrying in 46.035

46.035 says amusement parks are not off limits if not given 30.06.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

If the AG sided with the ZOO we need a new AG. It seems someone needs to understand the difference between Zoo and amusement park. I agree if they are an amusement park they better be meeting every single regulation that applies to an amusement park and I mean everyone.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

Sec. 46.035(f)
(1)"Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times.

Does the Dallas zoo have amusement rides?
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Do they offer daycare? Do they have an alcohol license?

Glockster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Glockster »

dhoobler wrote:Sec. 46.035(f)
(1)"Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times.

There are other requirements as well. Don't have access to my bigger screen so can't re-chase it down, but there are inspection requirements, licensing and on and on. The biggest violation perhaps is one requirement that they post at the entrance specific language about reporting ride hazards and such and if I recall correctly violation of that one calls for a daily misdemeanor violation and fine daily. I put together a listing on this about a year ago and compared it to what I found on each zoo and what I found was that they may have an amusement ride license, none met the state licensing requirements to be an amusement park.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

rtschl
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rtschl »

Besides their monorail, I believe they also have a carousel and safari express train. So technically, yes, they do.
Ron
NRA Member

gljjt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gljjt »

rtschl wrote:To be honest, I was a little worried about the Dallas Zoo being able to successfully argue that they are an amusement park. Fort Worth and Houston Zoos are different and I think we will win those.

Do I think the Dallas Zoo is an amusement park - NO. Does it meet the current legal definition of one - sadly yes. I agree with Solaris:
Solaris wrote:This is the consequence of failing to strip out hospitals, amusement parks, churches,. etc. in 46.035. Instead they were left in, and (i) was added.
So this is on the legislature not the AG. Removing off limit areas and cleaning up 51% issues needs to be THE top priority next legislative session.

I agree ^^^. I think it meets the legal definition but not the intent of the legislature.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ScottDLS »

Glockster wrote:

There are other requirements as well. Don't have access to my bigger screen so can't re-chase it down, but there are inspection requirements, licensing and on and on. The biggest violation perhaps is one requirement that they post at the entrance specific language about reporting ride hazards and such and if I recall correctly violation of that one calls for a daily misdemeanor violation and fine daily. I put together a listing on this about a year ago and compared it to what I found on each zoo and what I found was that they may have an amusement ride license, none met the state licensing requirements to be an amusement park.
The problem is the 46.035 requirements are all they must meet to exclude us. The occupational code or whatever else qualifies them doesn't really matter unless the agency responsible decides to take it up.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Dallas falls, is Houston next?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Liberty wrote:Dallas falls, is Houston next?
No because Houston is not big enough to qualify as an amusement park and it's not a school.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Keep in mind that the AG is an attorney first and foremost, and he is not above going back and saying "Oops, based on new case law my previous decision no longer valid." If you will notice the ones he is proceeding with at this time are easy cases, that help establish case law, which will help him go after tougher and tougher cases. Additionally each case where he doesn't go after the posting helps us in the next legislative session to remove off limits locations and tighten the exemptions that they claim or make up. For those who want to replace the AG can I make a suggestion of wait and see where he takes these wrongful exclusion complaints before breaking out the tar and feathers, he might surprise you with a well thought out plan.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

G.A. Heath wrote:Keep in mind that the AG is an attorney first and foremost, and he is not above going back and saying "Oops, based on new case law my previous decision no longer valid." If you will notice the ones he is proceeding with at this time are easy cases, that help establish case law, which will help him go after tougher and tougher cases. Additionally each case where he doesn't go after the posting helps us in the next legislative session to remove off limits locations and tighten the exemptions that they claim or make up. For those who want to replace the AG can I make a suggestion of wait and see where he takes these wrongful exclusion complaints before breaking out the tar and feathers, he might surprise you with a well thought out plan.
If he can admit his mistake, then I also can. I hope G.A. Heath is right, but until then, Paxton is on the "get rid of list".
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

twomillenium wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:Keep in mind that the AG is an attorney first and foremost, and he is not above going back and saying "Oops, based on new case law my previous decision no longer valid." If you will notice the ones he is proceeding with at this time are easy cases, that help establish case law, which will help him go after tougher and tougher cases. Additionally each case where he doesn't go after the posting helps us in the next legislative session to remove off limits locations and tighten the exemptions that they claim or make up. For those who want to replace the AG can I make a suggestion of wait and see where he takes these wrongful exclusion complaints before breaking out the tar and feathers, he might surprise you with a well thought out plan.
If he can admit his mistake, then I also can. I hope G.A. Heath is right, but until then, Paxton is on the "get rid of list".
I disagree. It's the legislature's problem to fix, not the AG. With the monorail and the merry-go-round they meet the plain meaning of the 46.035 statute as it was written. Sure it was "intended" for Six Flags and Seaworld, but it was written 21 years ago. By the AG's reading of the law it appears that the Dallas Zoo meets the definition. The "intent" of the legislature might have been different, but what the law SAYS in defined statutory construction is how it should be interpreted. Of course anyone from a County Court judge to the State Supreme Court can interpret it however they want...but they shouldn't.

Otherwise we'll be reading a Constitutional "right" to abortion and Sodomite marriage into the 14th amendment... (ohh...ahhh, never mind)... :oops:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”