Can Lavaca-Navidad River Authority ban licensed carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Solaris
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can Lavaca-Navidad River Authority ban licensed carry?

Post by Solaris »

Liberty wrote:The preemption laws would take precedence over these rules, but if the property is actually owned by the Army Corp of Engineers It would be illegal to carry there. I've never heard of the local agencies enforcing the Feds rules though.
Texas Game Wardens can enforce relevant Fed Law on lakes and rivers. And they do.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

KLB wrote:Now that I've read the request for opinion, I still don't know what the AG will say, but LNRA's argument is not frivolous on its face. Two different statutes in apparent conflict have to be reconciled. These things have to be worked out.

What LNRA thinks it's accomplishing, on the on the other hand, is hard for me to see. This can't be a big problem. I regularly visit Hallettsville, which is just up the road from Lake Texana, and I've yet to see anyone open carrying.

Updated: Here's a provision from the Code Construction Act:
Sec. 311.026. SPECIAL OR LOCAL PROVISION PREVAILS OVER GENERAL. (a) If a general provision conflicts with a special or local provision, the provisions shall be construed, if possible, so that effect is given to both.

(b) If the conflict between the general provision and the special or local provision is irreconcilable, the special or local provision prevails as an exception to the general provision, unless the general provision is the later enactment and the manifest intent is that the general provision prevail.
In this case, the general provision (local governments can't rely on 30.06) is more recent that the specific one (river authorities can regulate despite rules to the contrary). It's easy to interpret the river authority statute as being an exception to the carry statute. That works under (a) or (b) unless a court finds that the legislature manifestly intended that the carry statute prevail. Maybe there's legislative history on that. I don't know.
I think at best they can hope their regulation is allowed to stand, but it's still not clear what they will be able to do to enforce it. Throw you out of the park (physically) and not face battery charges... :???:

Official tells you not to carry in the park, and you ignore them. OK what are you charged with? 30.06/7 doesn't apply. 30.05 doesn't really apply, but even if it did LTC has a statutory DEFENSE to 30.05. Civil fine? Obstruction? Both a stretch. Solution if you don't want to be the proverbial "test case". Carry concealed.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

KLB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KLB »

ScottDLS wrote:I think at best they can hope their regulation is allowed to stand, but it's still not clear what they will be able to do to enforce it. Throw you out of the park (physically) and not face battery charges... :???
I have not researched LNRA's authorizing statutes, but my guess is that they have authority to enforce their own rules, probably more or less as cities do. A city can make something a Class C misdemeanor.

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

Glockster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Glockster »

Nice read, thanks for posting the link!
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”