Conflicting signs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Cjwglock19
Posts in topic: 4

Conflicting signs

Post by Cjwglock19 »

Stopped at the Shell station where I35 and 195 meet near Georgetown. Saw the Blue sign on the right of the door as I went in, no worries. When we were pulling out of our parking spot, I noticed a 30.06 and 30.07 sign on the left window of the same entrance. So the wife asks "so what do you do?" To be honest I don't know, I carried as usual. However, let's say the worst happens... What do you go with?

I plan on going back in on our return trip home and mentioning it to the manager on duty.
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Conflicting signs

Post by Keith B »

They are not 'conflicting' signs. The blue sign is required by TABC to be posted; the business has NO say in that. All the blue sign does is say it's NOT a felony to carry there as your are licensed to carry a concealed handgun. It does not 'give' permission to carry against the owners wishes.

The 30.06 and 30.07 signs are the owners prerogative to post or not. So, by concealed or openly carrying past the 30.06/30.07 you committed a Class C misdemeanor.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Cjwglock19

Post by Cjwglock19 »

Not sure I have ever seen that. Luckily it's a place in never go to, just needed a restroom break.

Thanks for the info.
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

Topic author
Cjwglock19

Post by Cjwglock19 »

[quote="Cjwglock19"]Not sure I have ever seen that. Luckily it's a place in never go to, just needed a restroom break.

Thanks for the info. I've always payed attention to all signs and can't think of ever seeing both before at a location like this.

- Clint Smith

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Cjwglock19 wrote:
Cjwglock19 wrote:Not sure I have ever seen that. Luckily it's a place in never go to, just needed a restroom break.

Thanks for the info. I've always payed attention to all signs and can't think of ever seeing both before at a location like this.
Any quick stop, restaurant or grocery store that sells alcohol will have the blue sign. So, if you know one that is posted 30.06 or 30.07 and sells alcohol, then they will have both.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Cjwglock19

Post by Cjwglock19 »

Yes sir. Makes perfect sense, just honestly don't think I've seen that. Guess I'll stop up the street next time I've had a little too much Dr Pepper!

- Clint Smith

bear94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bear94 »

Keith B wrote:They are not 'conflicting' signs. The blue sign is required by TABC to be posted; the business has NO say in that. All the blue sign does is say it's NOT a felony to carry there as your are licensed to carry a concealed handgun. It does not 'give' permission to carry against the owners wishes.

The 30.06 and 30.07 signs are the owners prerogative to post or not. So, by concealed or openly carrying past the 30.06/30.07 you committed a Class C misdemeanor.
It's not just the OP that is confused by this. I've actually gotten into heated discussions with people about this issue and it's incredible how offended people get when you tell them the difference. This should be stressed more in the classes to save someone $250.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I also had a problem with confusing signage. Was at Whole Foods in Houston. The top of the sign had the standard TABC language. But below it had a 30.06 and 30.07, but they were hard to read. The letters were black, blue and red on a transparent background affixed to a glass door.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

The HEB on Dowlen Rd here in Beaumont has a 30.07 sign posted. The problem is the sign is a decal stuck to one of the sliding entry doors which is usually open in good weather. When it is open, the sign is partially obscured by the glass panel on the side of the opening and a couple of sale signs. It would be very easy for a person to miss this sign if they did not know it was there. I know it is there and I cc anyway so for me it is not a problem but I can see someone getting in trouble for it.
Cliff H.
Beaumont, TX

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”