Public Library in Katy (Cinco Ranch) with a "clever" sign... Grrr

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Public Library in Katy (Cinco Ranch) with a "clever" sign... Grrr

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

This library is part of the Fort Bend County Library System. Direct the complaint to Ft. Bend County Judge Robert Hebert.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Waco1959
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Waco1959 »

Looks like the policy applies to ALL Ft. Bend County Libraries:

LIBRARY RULES OF CONDUCT POLICY

It is the goal of Fort Bend County Libraries (FBCL) for all patrons to expect and receive quality library service from a friendly and helpful staff. Every patron of FBCL should receive service in an atmosphere that is safe and with minimal disturbances from other patrons. In return, the staff of FBCL should be able to provide services without fear of abuse or threatening behavior from patrons.

The purpose of this policy is to provide the highest level of service and safety to library patrons, to provide a pleasant and safe environment for FBCL staff, and to protect library materials and property. This policy applies to all FBCL buildings, interior and exterior; to all grounds controlled and operated by FBCL; and to all persons of any age entering into or onto FBCL premises.

FBCL has adopted the following rules for patron rules of conduct. FBCL staff are authorized to enforce these rules and may ask a patron to leave FBCL premises for failing to comply with them. Non-compliance with these rules may lead to a request for assistance from the local police department, to legal action, or to criminal prosecution.

The following actions by any FBCL patron are not permitted:

1. The violation of any federal, state, or local laws;

2. Displaying or concealing guns, stun guns, tasers, knives, explosive devices, dangerous substances or materials, or other weapons
Sounds like they didn't bother to read what the Texas State Library sent out last year or (more likely) didn't care. It will probably take a letter to make them change. I work in library that was smart enough not to put up the signs in the first place.

goose

Post by goose »

Waco1959 wrote:Looks like the policy applies to ALL Ft. Bend County Libraries:

LIBRARY RULES OF CONDUCT POLICY

It is the goal of Fort Bend County Libraries (FBCL) for all patrons to expect and receive quality library service from a friendly and helpful staff. Every patron of FBCL should receive service in an atmosphere that is safe and with minimal disturbances from other patrons. In return, the staff of FBCL should be able to provide services without fear of abuse or threatening behavior from patrons.

The purpose of this policy is to provide the highest level of service and safety to library patrons, to provide a pleasant and safe environment for FBCL staff, and to protect library materials and property. This policy applies to all FBCL buildings, interior and exterior; to all grounds controlled and operated by FBCL; and to all persons of any age entering into or onto FBCL premises.

FBCL has adopted the following rules for patron rules of conduct. FBCL staff are authorized to enforce these rules and may ask a patron to leave FBCL premises for failing to comply with them. Non-compliance with these rules may lead to a request for assistance from the local police department, to legal action, or to criminal prosecution.

The following actions by any FBCL patron are not permitted:

1. The violation of any federal, state, or local laws;

2. Displaying or concealing guns, stun guns, tasers, knives, explosive devices, dangerous substances or materials, or other weapons
Sounds like they didn't bother to read what the Texas State Library sent out last year or (more likely) didn't care. It will probably take a letter to make them change. I work in library that was smart enough not to put up the signs in the first place.
Obeying state laws only applies to the patrons. Violating state laws is optional for the staff.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Scott in Houston »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:This library is part of the Fort Bend County Library System. Direct the complaint to Ft. Bend County Judge Robert Hebert.
Thank you. I will. It should be interesting as he's been a friend of the family since I was a kid.

juno106

Post by juno106 »

... and, please keep Charlie in the loop, so he can bundle this with all the others, and discuss with the Legislature, for any "clean-up" legislation that may be necessary in 2017:

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... -06-upload

and i suppose there is also no harm in informing the Library of the Supreme Court decision in JAIME CAETANO v. MASSACHUSETTS, and suggesting that they also might not have the legal right to exclude
Displaying or concealing ..., stun guns, tasers,...
http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2016/03/su ... econd.html

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15 ... 8_aplc.pdf

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I guess some people just don't understand the word SHHHHH!! :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Do keep us posted on how this turns out. I'm very curious.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I live in Katy and will be sending my own letter to the judge, and then the AG. The more, the better, right?

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Please do so. I hate people playing superman and would like trump our rights. The sign is meaningless. If I was close to there. I would OC in said library and if they dare to arrest me, I will file a civil law suite against the city/county.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I live in Katy and will be sending my own letter to the judge, and then the AG. The more, the better, right?
Definitely!
imkopaka wrote:Do keep us posted on how this turns out. I'm very curious.
I will for sure.
Beiruty wrote:Please do so. I hate people playing superman and would like trump our rights. The sign is meaningless. If I was close to there. I would OC in said library and if they dare to arrest me, I will file a civil law suite against the city/county.
I feel like that too, but my wife doesn't! :tiphat:

eyet

Post by eyet »

I found the same sign at both the George Memorial Libary in Richmond and the First Colony Branch in Sugar Land. I guess it's system wide. I guess I'll start the process as well.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

eyet wrote:I found the same sign at both the George Memorial Libary in Richmond and the First Colony Branch in Sugar Land. I guess it's system wide. I guess I'll start the process as well.
It's definitely a Ft. Bend-wide thing…
Is George county owned? I thought that was a privately funded library… I could be wrong.

But yes, please file a complaint as well. The more the merrier.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Scott in Houston wrote:
eyet wrote:I found the same sign at both the George Memorial Libary in Richmond and the First Colony Branch in Sugar Land. I guess it's system wide. I guess I'll start the process as well.
It's definitely a Ft. Bend-wide thing…
Is George county owned? I thought that was a privately funded library… I could be wrong.

But yes, please file a complaint as well. The more the merrier.
Definitely county owned: http://www.fortbend.lib.tx.us/branches/gm.html File away!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

eyet

Post by eyet »

Scott in Houston wrote:In reading 46.03, I'm assuming they're trying to use "educational institution" as their argument?
You nailed it. I emailed County Judge Hebert and received a reply from the county attorney's office today. It was voted on in the February 9 Commissioners Court meeting. You can see the order, which contains their rationale at the link below. As a non-attorney, the logic seems pretty tortured.

http://agendalink.co.fort-bend.tx.us:80 ... 0order.pdf

I'll submit a complaint on the attorney general's web site in 3 days.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

A few things real quick:
#1 Make sure Charles L. Cotton sees the reply you got from the CA's office (I mention his complete username so he should get a notification).
#2 Be sure to include a copy of this with your complaint to the AG's office.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”