Plusses of Campus Carry, even for private universities

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Plusses of Campus Carry, even for private universities

Post by oohrah »

I have to take a faculty candidate to dinner tonight. Under current law, this would be considered a school-sponsored event, and I cannot carry, even off-campus (my interpretation).

It occurred to me, that even tho my private university has opted out, that they can no longer control what I do off-campus, even for events that might be considered "school-sponsored", because they can't post 30.06. Seems to be a big plus come Aug 1. Anybody else see it this way?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Plusses of Campus Carry, even for private universities

Post by Jusme »

I didn't think that "school sponsored events" applied to off campus university events. IANAL, and maybe I misread your post, but I wouldn't think that their policy or LTC law would prohibit you carrying while at dinner off campus.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Jusme wrote:I didn't think that "school sponsored events" applied to off campus university events. IANAL, and maybe I misread your post, but I wouldn't think that their policy or LTC law would prohibit you carrying while at dinner off campus.
:iagree: Off campus they would have to have rented the venue that was privately owned and post 30.06 signs to prevent carry IMO.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I have always thought of "school sponsored events" only in terms of students.

That aside, the current legal restriction is that you can't carry in buildings. And perhaps you can't carry in university controlled vehicles. I do not see any legal restriction against your carrying off campus in a private restaurant establishment. There may be a university policy against it. For example, current A&M policy prohibits carry in university controlled vehicles (this is changing Aug. 1).
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Other thought is that if you are literally "wining and dining" then you might want to not carry for the potential liability. But that is your call.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

goose

Post by goose »

If this is a function of or for your employer, this strikes me as a handbook/policy issue not a legal issue. Your employer's policies can extend beyond campus if you are performing functions on their behalf. If their communications indicate that they aren't fans of carrying, your decision should be based on weighing risk and rewards of them letting you go if they were to somehow find out, IMO.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Thank you, well considered points.

From reading a lot on the forum, there seems to be a general consensus that, if you are a participant in a school-sponsored activity ( the field trip with students to the zoo example comes up often), that while the school cannot make the zoo off-limits, the teachers, chaperons, etc. participating must abide as if they were at the school. I have always acted on the side of caution whenever I was involved in any school sponsored activity at any location, just to avoid being legally questioned. I acknowledge also that I would be subject to my employer's rules regardless of the law.

So while a dinner off campus might not fall into this category, I'm still cautious. (There is no "wine-ing" at my school ;-) ).

My original point however, was that when the campus carry law goes into effect, any and all of those off-campus "school-sponsored activities" restrictions no longer apply to college level activities.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

oohrah wrote:Thank you, well considered points.

From reading a lot on the forum, there seems to be a general consensus that, if you are a participant in a school-sponsored activity ( the field trip with students to the zoo example comes up often), that while the school cannot make the zoo off-limits, the teachers, chaperons, etc. participating must abide as if they were at the school. I have always acted on the side of caution whenever I was involved in any school sponsored activity at any location, just to avoid being legally questioned. I acknowledge also that I would be subject to my employer's rules regardless of the law.

So while a dinner off campus might not fall into this category, I'm still cautious. (There is no "wine-ing" at my school ;-) ).

My original point however, was that when the campus carry law goes into effect, any and all of those off-campus "school-sponsored activities" restrictions no longer apply to college level activities.
Would this be different, in your mind, if the dinner was at your home, but still paid for by the school (school picking up the catering bill, for example)? It just seems like an over reach to consider a dinner, away from campus, with no students present, as an off limits activity.

The upcoming campus carry change is good, but IMHO, the whole point of the law needs to be revised. Carry should be legal everywhere on land / property that is owned by the people (better term than "government owned"), other than limited, specific locations that are clearly described in the law and which are properly posted. The procedure to get a sign should involve an application that is vetted by the AG before the sign is provided. The mere presence of children or students should not cause an area to be off limits. Rather, just cause should need to be shown as to why the mere presence of a firearm is a hazard. Then all firearms (including LEO's etc) should be verboten.

You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.....

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

You're right, I prefer to over-reach to avoid a citation. And I certainly agree with you about the law.

Thanks
USMC, Retired

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

koine2002 wrote:
oohrah wrote:I have to take a faculty candidate to dinner tonight. Under current law, this would be considered a school-sponsored event, and I cannot carry, even off-campus (my interpretation).

It occurred to me, that even tho my private university has opted out, that they can no longer control what I do off-campus, even for events that might be considered "school-sponsored", because they can't post 30.06. Seems to be a big plus come Aug 1. Anybody else see it this way?
Faculty candidate?! There's a university out there that's still hiring tenure track faculty?! I'm shocked. I'm at the point of giving up hope and going into secondary ed while still doing some adjunct work and research.
Yes indeed. Our philosophy opposes the national trend of relying on a majority of adjuncts. But. this is largely in the sciences and engineering to increase external funding. I don't know what's happening over in the liberals arts depts.
USMC, Retired

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”