Carry in a Credit Union

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 1

Carry in a Credit Union

Post by ET-Ret »

There is a Credit Union I am a member of in The Tarrant County Area. They used to post a Ghost Busters sign at the Doors but with the new
law going in effect Jan 1 They spent members money and had large signs put to meet 30.06 and 30.07 requirements. I doubt they ever had a problem
before that. I have had a safety deposit box in different branches at different time to store some small collectable pistols while out of town. I asked one of the employees one time and she said to wrap them and Don't ask and Don't tell . Worked for me. My question is if I am member and as they say a part owner. Can I be proscuted for carry in the building. Can my small box be confiscated ? Some guidence would be helpful.
ET-ret

Pawpaw

Re: Carry in a Credit Union

Post by Pawpaw »

PC §46.02 wrote:PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person’s own premises or premises under the person’s control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person’s control.
As a minority shareholder, I doubt you would be able to convince anyone the credit union was your own premises or premises under your control.

IANAL, but that's my two cents. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

There are plenty of Credit Unions that don't post. Look at that one in your rear view mirror.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Yeah... i'm about to close my EECU account too. Only has the $5 in it. Anti-gun jerks.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

Pawpaw wrote:
PC §46.02 wrote:PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person’s own premises or premises under the person’s control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person’s control.
As a minority shareholder, I doubt you would be able to convince anyone the credit union was your own premises or premises under your control.

IANAL, but that's my two cents. :tiphat:
He does not have to convince them of that. He has to convince them he is the "owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner". While an interesting argument, I doubt anyone will buy you are 'owner' for the context of carry.

I would bet I could find Case Law that would cover you, but if it gets to that you are already in for big $$$. I say put them in a folder labeled "Documents" and be done.

thetexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thetexan »

If you are licensed yes (if not posted), if you are not licensed no.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JALLEN »

ET-Ret wrote:There is a Credit Union I am a member of in The Tarrant County Area. They used to post a Ghost Busters sign at the Doors but with the new
law going in effect Jan 1 They spent members money and had large signs put to meet 30.06 and 30.07 requirements. I doubt they ever had a problem
before that. I have had a safety deposit box in different branches at different time to store some small collectable pistols while out of town. I asked one of the employees one time and she said to wrap them and Don't ask and Don't tell . Worked for me. My question is if I am member and as they say a part owner. Can I be proscuted for carry in the building. Can my small box be confiscated ? Some guidence would be helpful.
ET-ret
You can't be prosecuted unless you refuse to leave when given effective notice. If your pistols were in the box before the signs were up, then conceal them and take them out.

As to the credit union, is it a mutual association? Maybe all of them are. Either way, the argument about part owner is not particularly compelling. I doubt they can confiscate your box, particularly if the gun is unloaded and no ammo in the box.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

[/quote]
You can't be prosecuted unless you refuse to leave when given effective notice. If your pistols were in the box before the signs were up, then conceal them and take them out.[/quote

Effective notice is the sign right? My understanding is you are guilty of a Class C Misdemeanor just walking past the sign, but you can be prosecuted for a Class A if you refuse.

thetexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thetexan »

ralewis wrote:
You can't be prosecuted unless you refuse to leave when given effective notice. If your pistols were in the box before the signs were up, then conceal them and take them out.[/quote

Effective notice is the sign right? My understanding is you are guilty of a Class C Misdemeanor just walking past the sign, but you can be prosecuted for a Class A if you refuse.[/quote]

Stated another way...you ARE GUILTY of a criminal Class C Trespass Misdemeanor just walking past the sign and you ARE GUILTY of a criminal Class A misdemeanor if you then refuse to leave. In both cases, if you challenge, you may be prosecuted. If you refuse to leave after having passed a sign you have committed two violations.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

ralewis wrote:
You can't be prosecuted unless you refuse to leave when given effective notice. If your pistols were in the box before the signs were up, then conceal them and take them out.[/quote]

Effective notice is the sign right? My understanding is you are guilty of a Class C Misdemeanor just walking past the sign, but you can be prosecuted for a Class A if you refuse.[/quote]

I understood from the description that he had pistols in his safe deposit box before the signs were up, and now wanted to remove the pistols.

Tex, let's not play word games over "guilty" vs. "can be prosecuted."
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

So the remedy is remove the guns quietly, close your accounts at that institution and find a new one more friendly to your needs. Just for good measure, make sure they know why you are taking your business elsewhere. That is after you have removed the offending items of course.
Cliff H.
Beaumont, TX

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

thetexan wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
ralewis wrote: You can't be prosecuted unless you refuse to leave when given effective notice. If your pistols were in the box before the signs were up, then conceal them and take them out.
Effective notice is the sign right? My understanding is you are guilty of a Class C Misdemeanor just walking past the sign, but you can be prosecuted for a Class A if you refuse.
Stated another way...you ARE GUILTY of a criminal Class C Trespass Misdemeanor just walking past the sign and you ARE GUILTY of a criminal Class A misdemeanor if you then refuse to leave. In both cases, if you challenge, you may be prosecuted. If you refuse to leave after having passed a sign you have committed two violations.

tex
1. Enter the CU unarmed with an empty banker box and say that you've come to empty out your safe deposit box. You will have not violated 06 or 07.

2. Put the guns whose presence preexists the signs into the banker box, close the lid, and walk out. Since you did not enter armed, you have still not violated the signs. Leave, put the box in the trunk of your car, re-enter unarmed, and close the account. If asked why, tell them you don't do business with companies that think so little of your personal safety.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
thetexan wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
ralewis wrote: You can't be prosecuted unless you refuse to leave when given effective notice. If your pistols were in the box before the signs were up, then conceal them and take them out.

tex
1. Enter the CU unarmed with an empty banker box and say that you've come to empty out your safe deposit box. You will have not violated 06 or 07.

2. Put the guns whose presence preexists the signs into the banker box, close the lid, and walk out. Since you did not enter armed, you have still not violated the signs. Leave, put the box in the trunk of your car, re-enter unarmed, and close the account. If asked why, tell them you don't do business with companies that think so little of your personal safety.
This reminds me of what I was told about a distant ancestor, an itinerant preacher, who often attributed his "success" to his practice of "telling them what he is going to tell them, then telling them, then telling them what he told them."

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Well, carrying handguns to and from a storage facility probably doesn't require a license any more than carrying them to a gun range.

But you've got a license - you commit criminal trespass for carrying your guns past the sign.

So get an unlicensed friend to carry the gun for you. Problem solved, no 30.06 or 30.07 violation, since you have to have a license to commit the crime. :biggrinjester:

I fled one bank because of 30.06/30.07 to another bank that is pretty gun friendly. They have displayed rifles in their lobby in connection with charity auctions, for example.

But the dummies posted 30.06/30.07.

An officer at another local bank was once a rising star in IPSC, so I went to him and said I had a question that could be taken out of context. His experience, I thought, would let him accurately read my true intentions.

He asked why, so I said it was because I believed he knew what DVC stood for.

From that point I had a new old friend, and I've now got a much nicer bank account.

Honor requires I explain to my now former bank why I left, so I dug out a statistic I thought they might understand.

In the history of CHL, going back to year one in the DPS stats, there have been something like 35,000 robberies in Texas. A whopping two by CHL holders.

So, 35,000 divided by two, multiply by 100 to get the percentage... wow.

By those numbers, a bank destined to be robbed is more than one and a half million percent more likely to be robbed by some bozo off the street than a license holder.

Armed equals polite. Carry on, friends!

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

treadlightly wrote:Well, carrying handguns to and from a storage facility probably doesn't require a license any more than carrying them to a gun range.

But you've got a license - you commit criminal trespass for carrying your guns past the sign.

So get an unlicensed friend to carry the gun for you. Problem solved, no 30.06 or 30.07 violation, since you have to have a license to commit the crime. :biggrinjester:
You don't commit a crime if you are not carrying your gun "under the authority of" your LTC. So if you're driving your guns from your house to your storage facility (property under your control), you don't commit a crime even if they are posted and you have an LTC.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”