FTW Gun Show

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

FTW Gun Show

Post by ScottDLS »

Went to the Fort Worth Gun Show today. There were a pretty good number of tables and some large dealers with a lot of stock. I saw prices on brand name handguns and AR-15's that looked lower than I've seen at many big box stores. It's $9 to get in an $10 to park. Lots of ammo tables too and there was a seller with some hard to get stuff like .303 Enfield, .45 long Colt, etc.

No 30.06/7 signs as it was at Will Rogers (city owned). There was a sign saying (essentially) "no loaded firearms, or your ticket is revoked". I took that as an opportunity to CC following the since rescinded policy from the Clinton administration of "Don't ask, don't tell". :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Re: FTW Gun Show

Post by AJSully421 »

I was there with my G43 as well. By the way, they cannot toss you for having a loaded handgun if you have a CHL. 30.06 cannot be used, nor can 30.05 if the reason that you are being tossed is that you have a handgun (loaded or not).

They can't touch you. I am kinda waiting for it to happen so I can make a stink. But then again, my cop buddy is in there concealing an xd45 and no one says anything to him about it.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Goldspurs
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Goldspurs »

Do these gun show organizers fail to understand who their clientele is? Never ceases to amaze me.
"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into
prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying
to lift himself up by the handle." -Sir Winston Churchill

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

Goldspurs wrote:Do these gun show organizers fail to understand who their clientele is? Never ceases to amaze me.
They are a billion times more worried about someone getting hurt or killed in there than they are about turning a profit. Many of us were in Will Rogers when one went off about 2009 or so. Buried in a cooler or something and didn't cause any injuries. For every one like us who are capable of being safe, there are a few who shouldn't be allowed to own a fork, let alone a firearm. So, they have to make rules subject to the lowest common denominator. I get it, but it should be more something like "If it is a loaded handgun, keep it holstered. If it is a long gun, or a pistol and you are here to sell it, show it or find a holster for it, unload it here. No handling of loaded firearms is allowed beyond this point."

Also, it may be an legitimate insurance thing too. Either way, CHLs should be exempt for their carry pistols, so long as they stay holstered.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Did you see anything like engraved pistols?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Beiruty wrote:Did you see anything like engraved pistols?
Yes there was a table with a large number of nicely engraved revolvers and pistols.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Maybe, I should make a trip for the next FTW Gun Show
Beiruty,

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Of all the shows in the DFW area that I've been to, I like the Fort Worth one the best. There's always a large selection, and you can usually find a good deal on what you're looking for if you look hard enough. They also tend to have some interesting non-gun stuff as well. Glad to hear they're not posting it.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

For some reason when I saw "FTW" gun show....something else came to mind. I thought "Hmm...never seen one of those."

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I haven't been real active on here the last few days, but I did make it out to the Ft. Worth gun show on Saturday also, and I also CC right past the no loaded guns sign. It also appeared to me that prices were significantly lower than they have been, although I haven't been in about 9 months. I didn't stay a long time, but I picked up some p-mags for $11.50 each and I got a Troy drop in quad rail for $75. Since I wasn't in the market for much of anything else, I just browsed and noticed that a lot of guns were at least $75-$100 cheaper than they were the last time I was there. I'm like everyone else if you are going to be shopping for items for your carry gun, then it needs to be unloaded. Since I wasn't looking for anything for it, there wasn't an issue.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Jusme wrote:I haven't been real active on here the last few days, but I did make it out to the Ft. Worth gun show on Saturday also, and I also CC right past the no loaded guns sign. It also appeared to me that prices were significantly lower than they have been, although I haven't been in about 9 months. I didn't stay a long time, but I picked up some p-mags for $11.50 each and I got a Troy drop in quad rail for $75. Since I wasn't in the market for much of anything else, I just browsed and noticed that a lot of guns were at least $75-$100 cheaper than they were the last time I was there. I'm like everyone else if you are going to be shopping for items for your carry gun, then it needs to be unloaded. Since I wasn't looking for anything for it, there wasn't an issue.
Prices are lower because of the strong US dollar, it would not last long.
Beiruty,

Topic author
ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Beiruty wrote:
Jusme wrote:I haven't been real active on here the last few days, but I did make it out to the Ft. Worth gun show on Saturday also, and I also CC right past the no loaded guns sign. It also appeared to me that prices were significantly lower than they have been, although I haven't been in about 9 months. I didn't stay a long time, but I picked up some p-mags for $11.50 each and I got a Troy drop in quad rail for $75. Since I wasn't in the market for much of anything else, I just browsed and noticed that a lot of guns were at least $75-$100 cheaper than they were the last time I was there. I'm like everyone else if you are going to be shopping for items for your carry gun, then it needs to be unloaded. Since I wasn't looking for anything for it, there wasn't an issue.
Prices are lower because of the strong US dollar, it would not last long.
I saw lots of AR-15's and other non-importable firearms that were cheaper than I expected...I wonder what the explanation is for these. I suspect competition in the MSR segment.

Superman

Post by Superman »

Goldspurs wrote:Do these gun show organizers fail to understand who their clientele is? Never ceases to amaze me.
I see their perspective as a theft issue and wanting to minimize that risk, not trying to be anti-gun. With the 30.06/30.07 posted, if they see someone putting a handgun down their pants, they can easily question the person about theft. Without the signs, do they just assume everyone they see with a handgun (concealed) is legit?

If I own a candy store, my "no outside candy" policy is to help me make sure a kid doesn't come in the store, grab a bag of skittles and claim they brought it in the store and it's theirs.

I also admittedly assume the risk of theft at a gun show is pretty small with the other security measures they have in place. I'm not offering solutions, just a different perspective. :tiphat:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Superman wrote:
I see their perspective as a theft issue and wanting to minimize that risk, not trying to be anti-gun. With the 30.06/30.07 posted, if they see someone putting a handgun down their pants, they can easily question the person about theft. Without the signs, do they just assume everyone they see with a handgun (concealed) is legit?

If I own a candy store, my "no outside candy" policy is to help me make sure a kid doesn't come in the store, grab a bag of skittles and claim they brought it in the store and it's theirs.

I also admittedly assume the risk of theft at a gun show is pretty small with the other security measures they have in place. I'm not offering solutions, just a different perspective. :tiphat:

There are a lot of people walking around with guns at the show, most are visible, and have a tie wrap on them to make them safe. The majority of the dealers have their guns all tied together with cables to prevent anyone from walking off with one. What I'm saying is, I carried CC, under a Hawaiian shirt, with a photographer's/safari type vest, and never exposed my gun, or unholstered it, not that I would have unholstered a loaded gun unless I was under attack, but I think the main reason for their no loaded guns policy, is that there are people (no one on this forum) who would pull out a loaded gun, to test holsters, lights, or other accessories, thereby creating a very dangerous situation. Not that signs will prevent idiocy, but maybe it will alert those who aren't as safety conscious, to only bring unloaded guns and have them "made safe" at the door if they are looking for items for that gun, or they plane to sell or trade it. I don't think that theft concerns is the impetus behind the signs.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ScottDLS wrote:There was a sign saying (essentially) "no loaded firearms, or your ticket is revoked".:biggrinjester:
I'm not sure, but doesn't this apply to firearms being brought in for sale or trade or other reason and not those being carried under the authority of a CHL/LTC?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”