CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Federal LEO, Texas residents, LTC

Post by ScottDLS »

Solaris wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Solaris wrote: Correct. It is not specified in the law. How funny it would be to see an ATF agent arrest himself when picking up his kid. Anyway that oversight was corrected in the implementing regulations. AFAIK, it is NOT corrected for LEOSA, so those folks are still not allowed to carry.
Interesting. Where can one find in the CFR? And did ATF correct it for off-duty State LEO's?

And what was their statutory authority in 18 USC 922 to interpret away the requirement...maybe the same one that interpreted OOS licenses as not valid in GFSZ... :???:
Not sure if it is the CFR or other guidelines. As I recall we were told "you are acting in official capacity if you are authorized to carry a firearm and make an arrest." So if as long as you were not suspended or whatever you were GTG. I assume this interpretation applies to state LEOs but do not know.

Agency rule making authority is covered in the USC Title 5, I think.
Thank you, this is very good information. :tiphat:

I can see how ATF would use this as guidance for their officers with regard to enforcement of GFSZA, but I'm still skeptical that it would be a controlling interpretation if a US Attorney wanted to try going after a Fed or State LEO for a violation.

I suspect though, that Justice is very reluctant to push the interpretation of anything related to GFSZA since last time they did, SCOTUS invalidated the entire statute. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

Okay, that went in a different direction than I thought it would.

Let me clarify. In applying for a Texas LTC, are there any procedural waivers for Federal Officers who are Texas residents? Example, Texas Peace Officers only have to pay the $25, file a form, no class required. While, Retired Federal Officers get the $25 discount rate, but still have to complete the class.

The sole reason my hypothetical Fed wants a LTC is to avoid the 4473 NICS check and potential delays therein.

Thanks for the interesting responses.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

Scott B. wrote:Okay, that went in a different direction than I thought it would.

Let me clarify. In applying for a Texas LTC, are there any procedural waivers for Federal Officers who are Texas residents? Example, Texas Peace Officers only have to pay the $25, file a form, no class required. While, Retired Federal Officers get the $25 discount rate, but still have to complete the class.

The sole reason my hypothetical Fed wants a LTC is to avoid the 4473 NICS check and potential delays therein.

Scott,

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I do think that given your question the FLEO is allowed to skip the range qualification. Someone else can give you details on the how.

But then again, why skip the range? That's the most fun part of the course?!?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Vol Texan wrote:
Scott B. wrote:Okay, that went in a different direction than I thought it would.

Scott,

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I do think that given your question the FLEO is allowed to skip the range qualification. Someone else can give you details on the how.

When I took my CHL class, the range experience was both scary and humbling. Scary because the guy next to me put as many rounds through other people's targets as he did through his own. And humbling because the 22 year old girl on the other side of me shot much, much, better than I did.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:

Scott,

When I took my CHL class, the range experience was both scary and humbling. Scary because the guy next to me put as many rounds through other people's targets as he did through his own. And humbling because the 22 year old girl on the other side of me shot much, much, better than I did.
I am currently helping one of my 21 YO granddaughters get her LTC. According to the instructor I hired to teach her safety and shooting skills she "took to it like a duck to water".

Right now I would have to run a couple of hundred rounds to be sure I could pass with what I consider an "Acceptable Score" of 235+ out of 250.
"rlol"
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

16Adams
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 16Adams »

Here is the link that may help. Active Texas Peace Officers are exempt from fingerprinting and the class, pay 25$ and everything else applies and background is investigated. An honorably retired Texas Peace Officer pays $25 and is exempt from the class, plus pays $10 to be fingerprinted. Everything else applies in the background and is investigated. Retired must submit a recent law enforcement firearms qualification.
https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/Licen ... rInstr.pdf

Everyone with an LTC can lose their LTC for the same reasons.

You can see from the application where there is a discounted price for retired FLEO.

I probably didn't answer your question but your statement about (paraphrased) as simple as filling out a form is not accurate for current or honorably retired Texas peace officers

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”