Need suggestion on how to proceed

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
eagle6845
Posts in topic: 2

Need suggestion on how to proceed

Post by eagle6845 »

I am running into a problem with hearing back from the DPS about my CHL application and I am not sure how to proceed.

Essentially I completed my online application and submitted my supporting materials by March 8th of this year and it is now almost 60 days later (the limit they say to wait up until being notified whether all materials submitted are correct or not) and I have not heard anything back.

I tried emailing via their site contact form and have not heard anything back. Calling the DPS and trying to transfer to handgun licensing department just initiates a pre-recorded spiel about how they are being overworked and there is an influx of applications and then they just disconnect the call. At this point I feel really cheated out of my money for application and the whole process.

Things I submitted via the "Secure RSD" on the handgun licensing site link they send after completing the application ( http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/contact/default.aspx ) :

The application and payment ($145) for all of these was done about 3 weeks beforehand but the materials were all finalized by march 8 as i mentioned before

1. CHL-100 form scan
2. Scan of my passport (since I'm a U.S. citizen born out of the country)
3. Provided Texas DL ID # (obviously)
4. Fingerprinting was done more than 24 hours beforehand and submitted by the service that did my prints. Picked one from their certified locations.
5. For picture, the description said it would just use the one from my Driver's license, so no need to submit.

Am I missing something here?

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need suggestion on how to proceed

Post by Oldgringo »

Mrs. Oldgringo's original App hung out some 160 days because some bottle neck geek wouldn't approve her three different sets of submitted fingerprints. After the fourth fingerprint submission and a call to our state Senator, she had her license the next day.

That was several years ago, I'm sure they've improved the system now, yes?

FCH

Post by FCH »

My wife and a friend both submitted their packages on Feb 1. They both received their plastic this week. A little over 90 days.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

RockinU

Post by RockinU »

My cousin who was "all in" same day as I was (2/8) just got website change today, while I've had plastic for a month...

Topic author
eagle6845

Post by eagle6845 »

Thank you everyone for the insight. In today's day and age of everything being electronic and information transferring instantaneously I was expecting them to be done in a much quicker fashion, but at least it is good to know that I am not the only one having problems like this.
vjallen75 wrote:Hope this helps, I also hope you have used this time to practice carrying and going to the range. Keeps us sane while we wait.
Absolutely, one of my favorite past times. :)
Oldgringo wrote:Mrs. Oldgringo's original App hung out some 160 days because some bottle neck geek wouldn't approve her three different sets of submitted fingerprints. After the fourth fingerprint submission and a call to our state Senator, she had her license the next day.

That was several years ago, I'm sure they've improved the system now, yes?
Wow I really do hope it won't have to come to that lol.

rexmitchell

Post by rexmitchell »

Go look at the timelines in the waiting room, honestly it is hard to expect to get your license in under 60 days right now. You can call DPS but they have acknowledged that they have way too many apps to handle right now and the only thing people can do is wait.

minytrker

Post by minytrker »

My wifes renewal took about 60 days, my renewal was maybe 30 days. Hard to compare times IMO.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It is absurd to me that people have to prove they meet the requirements to not have their rights infringed, before they can legally exercise that right, but government agencies that are clearly and plainly illegally restricting our rights get to restrict first, then when caught, get to keep restricting for several months, all with no penalty whatsoever. Let's synch these processes up. Do one of the following:

1. Require government agencies that want to restrict weapons to apply for an approved sign, and require proof that they meet the requirements of the law. They can then wait 90+ days for an answer on whether they get a sign. In the mean time, citizens are free to carry, or

2. Let people exercise their god given right to carry without fear of prosecution, as long as they meet the legal requirements. You can get a temporary license immediately online, or through any FFL by certifying that you meet the requirements, just like you do when buying a gun. If someone wants to question your qualifications for this, then they must send you a certified letter, and if you don't respond they need to file a complaint with the AG who will respond within 90 days. If the AG finds that you don't meet the requirements, then there is zero penalty to you as long as you stop carrying from that point forward.

What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander, as they say.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I've seen some comments from folks that seem to be in the know, that the DPS LTC folks are completely overwhelmed with applications, running 3 shifts to process them, and they do not get any additional staffing unless the State approves the funds. The licensing fees do not go to DPS, they go to the State, so DPS can't just ramp up staffing when demand is high.

My wife applied last year and had her first time license in almost exactly 30 days. Sounds like the current wait time is more like 60+

The good news is "More Armed Texans" :thumbs2: :txflag:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

nyj

Post by nyj »

Man, be patient. They're so overwhelmed right now. Thousands of applications every week. My renewal that was suppose to take no longer than 45 days took over 60. My initial license took months to get.

Lord Nikon

Post by Lord Nikon »

Found out officially from one of their "supervisors" via phone that anything submitted early 2016 has a time frame of 90 to 120 days wait period.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

eagle6845 wrote:I am running into a problem with hearing back from the DPS about my CHL application and I am not sure how to proceed.

Essentially I completed my online application and submitted my supporting materials by March 8th of this year and it is now almost 60 days later (the limit they say to wait up until being notified whether all materials submitted are correct or not) and I have not heard anything back.
Eagle, you're a "victim" of LTC "popularity". There has been a very large spike in applications, and DPS got behind the curve trying to process them all. The same phenomenon is being experienced in other gun-related processes, such as ATF processing of Form 1 and Form 4 applications for suppressors and SBRs. My son filed a Form 1 on 12/5/15, and it took 96 days to be approved. I filed a Form 1 exactly a month later on 1/5/16, and it took 114 days to process. Officially, ATF is stating a 5 month timeline.

All of this is the result of an increasingly hostile federal gov't response to the 2nd Amendment - causing all kinds of firearms-related licensing apps to skyrocket.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rexmitchell

Post by rexmitchell »

Lord Nikon wrote:Found out officially from one of their "supervisors" via phone that anything submitted early 2016 has a time frame of 90 to 120 days wait period.
I'd say that 90-120 days would be the exception, not the norm. While they aren't seeming to meet their 60 day mark all the time, 60-80 days seems to be what it is taking. I was an early 2016 guy and got my license in 74 days from all in. Others got them sooner, some later but I think 90 days is rare compared to everyone else.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Keep in mind when they say '60 days' they mean business/working days. So 60 days translates to a few days short of 3 calendar months. And the clock doesn't start until they've received EVERYTHING they need submitted. :txflag:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:Keep in mind when they say '60 days' they mean business/working days. So 60 days translates to a few days short of 3 calendar months. And the clock doesn't start until they've received EVERYTHING they need submitted. :txflag:
The LAW doesn't say 60 "business days". It says 60 days. I'd hate to be sentenced to 30 days in jail only to find out that weekends and state holidays don't count. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”