Chest Holster Legal For Open Carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Chest Holster Legal For Open Carry?

Post by twomillenium »

mojo84 wrote:
twomillenium wrote:IANAL and IMNSHO, it would be a shoulder holster and an ankle holster that "belts" around the leg would be a legal for OC as well.
The state does not have it's own unique definition of a shoulder holster. I think the fact that it uses the should as one of its' supports would make it a legal shoulder holster. An ankle holster with a belt that goes around the leg would be legal as well. The state says "belt" holster not "waist" holster. I have no need at this time to OC so I will let someone who has that burning desire be the test case.
I disagree with your opinion regarding ankle holsters. Those have been discussed and the general consensus is those are not what the legislature intended as a belt is intended to go around one's waist.
Your welcome to your opinion, but it meets the definition of a belt, strap, restraint etc. etc. the state did not say waist and the state did not define belt.

But then I would wonder why one would want to openly wear an ankle belt holster. That would really say "Hey, look at me!!".
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Beiruty wrote:Ankle holster's "belt" is better known as a strap.
Not saying your wrong but it also meets the definition of a belt.

BELT a strip or encircling band of something having a specified nature or composition that is different from its surroundings:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texsquatch »

Calling the Kenai a chest holster would be like calling a traditional shoulder holster an "arm pit holster". I don't see why the Kenai wouldn't be legal. Both rigs are mainly supported by a shoulder strap, just as a belt holster is supported by a waist "belt" strap.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pariah3j »

I agree that I believe the Kenai holsters meet the requirements for a Shoulder holster. It doesn't look that different then the average shoulder holster other then it looks like it only utilizes 1 shoulder and puts the gun a little more squarely in the center of the chest. I've seen some shoulder holsters that do something similar.

Originally when I saw the thread title, I thought the question was being raised about something like a holster attached to a plate carrier or some sort of similar chest rig.

Something like this:

I've wondered if something like that would qualify as a shoulder holster.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Found a better picture of close to what I'd want to wear.

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

For OC since the chest rig and ballistic plate carrier uses a shoulder straps, I will judge it a shoulder holster too.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Yeah I want to go for runs using some sort of minimalist chest rig, as it is not comfortable to carry my G26 in a belt holster and run, let alone find jogging shorts that would support the weight. "Shoulder or belt holster" is foggy at best for chest rigs.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

DevilDawg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DevilDawg »

locke_n_load wrote:Yeah I want to go for runs using some sort of minimalist chest rig, as it is not comfortable to carry my G26 in a belt holster and run, let alone find jogging shorts that would support the weight. "Shoulder or belt holster" is foggy at best for chest rigs.
Check with Tom at 2aholsters, he is who I mentioned in my previous post. Great guy, very responsive and cannot beat his researched approach when developing this one.

http://2aholster.com/product/litepath-chest-holster/

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

We always end up with someone wanting to push the envelope. I doubt very seriously a holster attached to a plate carrier or tactical vest will be considered a shoulder holster. Why do some feel the need of desire to all the sudden start dressing like they are fighting in a war combat zone? How did you guys survive this long without all of the tactical gear?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

mojo84 wrote:We always end up with someone wanting to push the envelope. I doubt very seriously a holster attached to a plate carrier or tactical vest will be considered a shoulder holster. Why do some feel the need of desire to all the sudden start dressing like they are fighting in a war combat zone? How did you guys survive this long without all of the tactical gear?
Mojo - How have you survived without it ? :biggrinjester:

Kidding aside, I don't intend to put this on and go shopping at Walmart. My honest thought was it might be a great option when hiking/camping because my pack has a waist wrap/belt that makes a gun on belt/waist very uncomfortable.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

This is why in 2017 we need to have it changed to "must be carried in a holster." And define holster as: "Any device that may be used to carry a handgun on or about the person."

Under that definition, this would be a legal holster:

Remember, that "Shoulder or belt holster" language was copied form the Oklahoma OC law, and the purpose of it was they didn't want someone carrying a handgun in their hand and calling it open carry, and I understand that concern. So they required it to be carried in a holster, and decided to enumerate holster types. Just plain "Must be carried in a holster." would handle this issue without causing any additional confusion.
Last edited by AJSully421 on Wed May 11, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Pariah3j wrote:
mojo84 wrote:We always end up with someone wanting to push the envelope. I doubt very seriously a holster attached to a plate carrier or tactical vest will be considered a shoulder holster. Why do some feel the need of desire to all the sudden start dressing like they are fighting in a war combat zone? How did you guys survive this long without all of the tactical gear?

I'm starting to ask myself the same thing. :lol:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Mel wrote:
The Wall wrote:Is a bra a shoulder holster? :lol:
I believe that would be a "Hooter Holster"!
When I was a kid we would call them, "Over the shoulder boulder holder."

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

How could this NOT be a "Shoulder Holster"?

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Pariah3j wrote:

Kidding aside, I don't intend to put this on and go shopping at Walmart. My honest thought was it might be a great option when hiking/camping because my pack has a waist wrap/belt that makes a gun on belt/waist very uncomfortable.
exactly.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”