Traveling to Florida with CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pig Renter
Posts in topic: 2

Traveling to Florida with CHL?

Post by Pig Renter »

In the near future I will be traveling to Florida and will be there for about a week. I will be in and around the Seaside, Florida area along what is known as "30A". I would like to take my handgun with me but was wanting a little insight first.

To be honest I'm a little intimidated by carrying in a state where I'm not intimately familiar with their laws as I am here in Texas. Things such as their versions of compliant legal signage, effective notice, 50% alcohol laws, public buildings, and so on.

So is it a pretty easy and for the most part comparable environment to conceal carry or will I need to do some heavy duty Florida Statue studying before I leave?

I'd also like to know if anyone is familiar with this area specifically and carried here before and how welcoming local businesses are overall to those who conceal carry.

I'm sure I'll be back with some follow up questions but thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S.
R.I.P. Guy Clark (November 6, 1941 – May 17, 2016). You were the Nolan Ryan of singer-songwriters.

goose
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Traveling to Florida with CHL?

Post by goose »

http://www.handgunlaw.us is your friend.

Minding the gunbuster signs is the biggest change for my behaviors.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by steveincowtown »

goose wrote:http://www.handgunlaw.us is your friend.

Not so much...
“No Firearm” signs in Florida have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically
mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not
specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to
leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged.
We will get there one day! :tiphat:

To the OP, as others have mentioned http://www.handgunlaw.us is truly your friend.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

Thanks. I'll study that website.

That gunbusters sign and when, where, and how it may be enforced is precislcy the type of thing that intimidates me.

"No Firearm” signs in Florida have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically
mentioned in State Law..."

Specifically mentioned in state law? We all know how ambiguous that can be.

I guess I got my work cut out for me. I always strive to be as compliant with laws as I can even if I despise the law.

goose

Post by goose »

steveincowtown wrote:
goose wrote:http://www.handgunlaw.us is your friend.

Not so much...
There are three other states between us and them with a mixed bag. I guess method of travel wasn't discussed. If driving, as I do, minding the gunbuster signs is the biggest change for my behaviors.

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Pig Renter wrote:In the near future I will be traveling to Florida and will be there for about a week. I will be in and around the Seaside, Florida area along what is known as "30A". I would like to take my handgun with me but was wanting a little insight first.

To be honest I'm a little intimidated by carrying in a state where I'm not intimately familiar with their laws as I am here in Texas. Things such as their versions of compliant legal signage, effective notice, 50% alcohol laws, public buildings, and so on.

So is it a pretty easy and for the most part comparable environment to conceal carry or will I need to do some heavy duty Florida Statue studying before I leave?

I'd also like to know if anyone is familiar with this area specifically and carried here before and how welcoming local businesses are overall to those who conceal carry.

I'm sure I'll be back with some follow up questions but thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S.
R.I.P. Guy Clark (November 6, 1941 – May 17, 2016). You were the Nolan Ryan of singer-songwriters.
I've been to Florida multiple times and carried. The biggest difference that was impactful to what I was doing was you can't carry in a 'bar' area of a restaurant but the restaurant serving alcohol is not off limits.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm posting this from a sushi bar in SoFla. Armed.
It's much easier to follow the law here. Less hair splitting (TX. No carry unless it's not posted, etc.) And no guns signs can be ignored in most places.

No worries. Read handgunlaw as suggested previously.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RoyGBiv wrote:I'm posting this from a sushi bar in SoFla. Armed.
So, if they make 51% or more of their revenue from the sale of sushi, they become a bar and you can't carry there?? :biggrinjester:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

goose

Post by goose »

Keith B wrote:
So, if they make 51% or more of their revenue from the sale of sushi, they become a bar and you can't carry there?? :biggrinjester:
Is it the mercury? I don't get it. :-)

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Keith B wrote:
:biggrinjester:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

I've carried for years in my trips to and while in Florida. Interestingly, since I stay in military lodging the bases there have a declare and surrender rule where you turn the gun in when you come on board and pick it up when you leave. But that is off topic.

The big one in Florida is bars, you simply can't carry in bars. But most restaurants that have bars have bar areas, that is a clearly defined area that is the bar. You simply have to circumvent it if going to, say, the little boys room. I have had occasion to discuss this with Escambia, Bevard and Monroe county deputies. All gave the same answer and assured me that is the same across the state.

So don't go into a bar, and avoid bar areas inside of restaurants and on that issue at least, you will be good.

On another note, all states between here and there will allow you to carry in one mode or another.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”