DPS/Drivers License Office - Carry Allowed?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

DPS/Drivers License Office - Carry Allowed?

Post by Lynyrd »

I had to go get my drivers license renewed. Pretty sure I knew the new rules on carrying on public property, but I was still reluctant to CC into the DPS/Drivers License office. So, I locked my gun up in the truck, and when it came my turn I politely asked the clerk if CHL holders were allowed to carry inside this building given the new changes to the law about carrying on public property unless it was a court. I can't quote what he said directly, but he believed that they could prohibit carrying (don't think that was correct but didn't argue the point) but that their regional director had chosen not to, so it was fine to have my gun there.

This is a small building with one side being the drivers license part, and the other side being the DPS office. It has one front door which provides access to both sides of the building. It was nice to know that I won't have to disarm the next time I go there, that is unless the laws get changed again. Still, I'm kind of old school and it would feel awkward to be carrying inside the DPS building. I cant help but wonder if anyone has ever OC'd in there?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

rexmitchell
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DPS/Drivers License Office - Carry Allowed?

Post by rexmitchell »

You can carry into DPS headquarters in Austin so why not at the DMV?

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Lynyrd wrote:I had to go get my drivers license renewed. Pretty sure I knew the new rules on carrying on public property, but I was still reluctant to CC into the DPS/Drivers License office. So, I locked my gun up in the truck, and when it came my turn I politely asked the clerk if CHL holders were allowed to carry inside this building given the new changes to the law about carrying on public property unless it was a court. I can't quote what he said directly, but he believed that they could prohibit carrying (don't think that was correct but didn't argue the point) but that their regional director had chosen not to, so it was fine to have my gun there.

This is a small building with one side being the drivers license part, and the other side being the DPS office. It has one front door which provides access to both sides of the building. It was nice to know that I won't have to disarm the next time I go there, that is unless the laws get changed again. Still, I'm kind of old school and it would feel awkward to be carrying inside the DPS building. I cant help but wonder if anyone has ever OC'd in there?
Since it's a government owned facility, unless its a court, sporting event, jail, or they were executing somebody there on that day I don't believe it's illegal to carry there. I think asking an employee if carry is allowed is rarely a helpful thing to do. By and large, I think CHL (or whatever we call it now) holders know the rules much better than anyone they'll encounter.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

ralewis wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:I had to go get my drivers license renewed. Pretty sure I knew the new rules on carrying on public property, but I was still reluctant to CC into the DPS/Drivers License office. So, I locked my gun up in the truck, and when it came my turn I politely asked the clerk if CHL holders were allowed to carry inside this building given the new changes to the law about carrying on public property unless it was a court. I can't quote what he said directly, but he believed that they could prohibit carrying (don't think that was correct but didn't argue the point) but that their regional director had chosen not to, so it was fine to have my gun there.

Since it's a government owned facility, unless its a court, sporting event, jail, or they were executing somebody there on that day I don't believe it's illegal to carry there. I think asking an employee if carry is allowed is rarely a helpful thing to do. By and large, I think CHL (or whatever we call it now) holders know the rules much better than anyone they'll encounter.
Just open carry next time. Ultimately that will answer the question. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

ScottDLS wrote:
Just open carry next time. Ultimately that will answer the question. :biggrinjester:
"rlol"

Yeah, that would definitely get you some answers! Even if they were not all correct!
Do what you say you're gonna do.

dru

Post by dru »

ralewis wrote:
...or they were executing somebody there on that day

That's about how it feels when I have to go down to the DPS/Drivers license office. I see a waiting room full of people praying for death. :smilelol5:

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

ScottDLS wrote:
ralewis wrote:

I open carried when I went to renew my driver's license. There may have been 1-2 people (in a crowded room) who noticed. One person kept glancing my way, but for the most part everyone, including the troopers who were there didn't seem to notice/care.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Perfectly legal. I OC when I took my son to get his DL. I had a nice conversation with another LTC holder while waiting, regarding OC and my interactions since it passed. He didn't know it was legal there, but that is the same department that issues LTC.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

You will find the DPS as an agency to be generally very LTC friendly, in my experience.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

When I took my daughter to get her driver's permit last year, I used my CHL as an ID. After the clerk saw it, he said it was great that I had one. He said that he carries every day and asked if I carried everyday too. I showed him pictures of my Bear Creek pocket holster (a work of art). We then had a nice conversation about carrying and other things.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”