Potentially moving to College Station

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Tracker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Potentially moving to College Station

Post by Tracker »

try to find a place between CS and the Brazos River. It's about 3- 4 miles from campus and rural.

minytrker
Posts in topic: 3

Post by minytrker »

Another issue with CS is the price of houses vs the pay scale. If you work in CS with a normal job you will probably have a hard time finding a house in a good neighborhood that's in your price range. There isnt anywhere really close to A&M that I would want to live where you could use public transportation. Alot of the apartments have shuttle services but that also means they are most likely full of college kids. There are still some nice subdivisions not run over with college kids but no matter where you look in CS nothing's going to be cheap. Since I sold my house there just a cople years ago I cant even count how many apartment building and duplexes they have built. Its nonstop construction of apartments around 2818, welbourne, rock prairie area.

Topic author
techguy85
Posts in topic: 8

Post by techguy85 »

Ryan wrote:
techguy85 wrote: Once in response to 2 fake "gas workers" who proceeded to try a home invasion when I opened the door (yes, I know, I should have called the gas company first).

Once when a crackhead came in my kitchen when someone that lived with me left the door unlocked to go get the mail.

And once when an anti-gunner tried to take my (concealed) handgun from me when I accidentally brushed past too close in a grocery store and he felt it under my sweater.
Was he trying to get shot? Because that's how you get shot! I would say this is unbelievable, except that I know how dumb the general population is. And then add on to that, "Anti-Gunner"

The stupidity is strong with this one.
I don't really think he was trying to get shot, but he came really darn close to it. More like he was just so angry that I had a gun that he just had to try and take it without considering the potential outcomes.
He went from yelling at me that I shouldn't have a gun to "give that to me!"
At the point he reached out to grab it I took a step toward him, grabbed his arm and pushed him away. I then stepped back and drew on him while basically screaming get back, get away from me...
He started advancing on me and at that point I was stuck between him and some other shoppers with no real easy way to retreat any further. It was at that moment he was closest- I had actually put my finger on the trigger when he finally seemed to realize and he gave it up.
There was an officer working special duty in the store- he arrested him and the guy couldn't believe he was the one in trouble. The prosecutor didn't carry through though, and they ended up dropping the charge.

Topic author
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

minytrker wrote:Another issue with CS is the price of houses vs the pay scale. If you work in CS with a normal job you will probably have a hard time finding a house in a good neighborhood that's in your price range. There isnt anywhere really close to A&M that I would want to live where you could use public transportation. Alot of the apartments have shuttle services but that also means they are most likely full of college kids. There are still some nice subdivisions not run over with college kids but no matter where you look in CS nothing's going to be cheap. Since I sold my house there just a cople years ago I cant even count how many apartment building and duplexes they have built. Its nonstop construction of apartments around 2818, welbourne, rock prairie area.
They really haven't talked numbers with me yet so not sure what the pay will be like. If they can't make the numbers make sense obviously I will not be moving...
Are there not areas close that are too expensive for student blood but not overly so? No middle ground?

minytrker
Posts in topic: 3

Post by minytrker »

All of the real estate is expensive in CS, apartments, houses, rent in general compared to the economy. I dont know what the rent right around campus runs since I lived across town and dont personally know anyone living right near campus. They just had something on the news about the other day. I dont remember the exact numbers but it something like the average family can afford a $140k house in CS and they are selling for $180k.

Topic author
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I appreciate everyone's responses. I am going to go ahead and interview for the position. If offered, I'll be back in touch with more questions I'm sure.

kellyborgman

Post by kellyborgman »

Navasota is nice, I have family there, it is close the Bryan/College Station area. There would be a 20 min. commute and Hwy 6 is kinda dangerous at times. But yeah Bryan/College Station is big and getting bigger all the time. The upside is there is at least one really good gun store, at least a couple of years ago. They had an indoor range next to it I think. Dont hold me to that. I dont remember the name,but you could Google for gun ranges and gun stores in the area.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

techguy85 wrote:
Ryan wrote:
techguy85 wrote: Once in response to 2 fake "gas workers" who proceeded to try a home invasion when I opened the door (yes, I know, I should have called the gas company first).

Once when a crackhead came in my kitchen when someone that lived with me left the door unlocked to go get the mail.

And once when an anti-gunner tried to take my (concealed) handgun from me when I accidentally brushed past too close in a grocery store and he felt it under my sweater.
Was he trying to get shot? Because that's how you get shot! I would say this is unbelievable, except that I know how dumb the general population is. And then add on to that, "Anti-Gunner"

The stupidity is strong with this one.
I don't really think he was trying to get shot, but he came really darn close to it. More like he was just so angry that I had a gun that he just had to try and take it without considering the potential outcomes.
He went from yelling at me that I shouldn't have a gun to "give that to me!"
At the point he reached out to grab it I took a step toward him, grabbed his arm and pushed him away. I then stepped back and drew on him while basically screaming get back, get away from me...
He started advancing on me and at that point I was stuck between him and some other shoppers with no real easy way to retreat any further. It was at that moment he was closest- I had actually put my finger on the trigger when he finally seemed to realize and he gave it up.
There was an officer working special duty in the store- he arrested him and the guy couldn't believe he was the one in trouble. The prosecutor didn't carry through though, and they ended up dropping the charge.
Wow. I'm gonna say that you aren't too likely to find someone that crazy here, but there are undoubtedly a few. Yet another reason to carry a back up gun instead of just extra mags (a separate discussion we have been having lately). I have actually pictured a scenario in my mind where someone is able to grab my primary weapon and I need to resort to my back-up to defend myself.

The guy in your case is lucky to be alive.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”