Son had a weird encounter at Walmart

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Son had a weird encounter at Walmart

Post by twomillenium »

I find the story hard to believe, since Walmart is famously recognized to accept legal handgun carry in their stores. The fact that the store manager was not called to double check policy makes it even harder to believe. Rant and rave all you want, but to me this is a report of hearsay, and you know how often that is misinterpreted. I am not calling anyone a liar but this one side of the story and there is a good chance that it is not the whole of the true story. If I am wrong then I apologize.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

twomillenium wrote:I find the story hard to believe, since Walmart is famously recognized to accept legal handgun carry in their stores. The fact that the store manager was not called to double check policy makes it even harder to believe. Rant and rave all you want, but to me this is a report of hearsay, and you know how often that is misinterpreted. I am not calling anyone a liar but this one side of the story and there is a good chance that it is not the whole of the true story. If I am wrong then I apologize.
I'm not sure why you find it hard to believe that a Wal-Mart security guard could be grossly incompetent in a variety of ways, including a complete and total misunderstanding of company policy. I mean, we are talking about someone who presumably could not get a job in law enforcement, and then also could not get a security guard job at a number of other, preferable employers. For this reason alone, I do not find this story hard to believe.

Topic author
RevDLo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RevDLo »

twomillenium wrote:I find the story hard to believe, since Walmart is famously recognized to accept legal handgun carry in their stores. The fact that the store manager was not called to double check policy makes it even harder to believe. Rant and rave all you want, but to me this is a report of hearsay, and you know how often that is misinterpreted. I am not calling anyone a liar but this one side of the story and there is a good chance that it is not the whole of the true story. If I am wrong then I apologize.
It absolutely is hearsay. Like I said I was not there. My 2 oldest boys came over last night, and this was the story my oldest told me. He is only 17 and was NOT carrying a handgun. I did not feel the need to call a manager as I wasn't there and had no names and did not have the full circumstances. He handled it by letting him know it was only a pocket knife and that was it. I only brought it up here for discussion since I am new to CC.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
I'm not sure why you find it hard to believe that a Wal-Mart security guard could be grossly incompetent in a variety of ways, including a complete and total misunderstanding of company policy. I mean, we are talking about someone who presumably could not get a job in law enforcement, and then also could not get a security guard job at a number of other, preferable employers. For this reason alone, I do not find this story hard to believe.
LOL I guess I find it hard to believe for the same reason you think a Walmart security guard (or was it a greeter) can't get a better job. I appreciate anyone who does honest work, even if it is picking up cans.

Like I said when I look at history and realize this is second hand hearsay, I will need both sides of the story or non-story. (I try to do as little business with Walmart when given a choice).
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

The kid is too young for a LTC anyway, so why worry about effective notice. Since he did not have a gun, just walk on past and ignore the security guard. If need be.....call a manager.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

A Walmart security guard?? I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

It wasn't the door greeter, was it? If it was, I would not see that as someone with the "apparent authority" to give you notice. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

The only "security guard" I have ever seen at any WalMart, is out in the parking lot patrolling in a small car.
Last edited by WTR on Wed May 25, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solaris
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Solaris »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
I'm not sure why you find it hard to believe that a Wal-Mart security guard
That is the first thing that is hard to believe. A Wal-Mart security guard? I am not saying they do not have LP staff, but I have never seen Wal-Mart security guard in any Wal-Mart anywhere in my life. Do they have Wal-Mart uniforms? Are they armed? contracted?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Pawpaw wrote:A Walmart security guard?? I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

It wasn't the door greeter, was it? If it was, I would not see that as someone with the "apparent authority" to give you notice. :tiphat:
Why would you not consider the greeter as someone that has apparent authority to give notice? The law doesn't say it has to be any certain level of employee. The manager can grant that authority to whomever he decide.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

dave_in_austin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dave_in_austin »

That is the first thing that is hard to believe. A Wal-Mart security guard? I am not saying they do not have LP staff, but I have never seen Wal-Mart security guard in any Wal-Mart anywhere in my life. Do they have Wal-Mart uniforms? Are they armed? contracted?

I saw a person in a security guard uniform playing the role of a greeter yesterday in a Wal-Mart. I did not pay much attention to the uniform, but it was a black and silver uniform nothing like the blue smocks that the greeters usually wear. He did not appear to be armed and was greeting people as they came in. Perhaps this is a new feature at some Wal-Mart locations now.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

mojo84 wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:A Walmart security guard?? I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

Why would you not consider the greeter as someone that has apparent authority to give notice? The law doesn't say it has to be any certain level of employee. The manager can grant that authority to whomever he decide.
I have to agree w/ Mojo here - I've worked various retail/minimum wage jobs over the years. Just about all of them gave me as an employee that right to refuse service, and to me that would go with the ability to give notice. Now it might not stand, and it may get them chewed out/fired later, but in that moment I believe we would have to assume they do.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Pariah3j wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

I have to agree w/ Mojo here - I've worked various retail/minimum wage jobs over the years. Just about all of them gave me as an employee that right to refuse service, and to me that would go with the ability to give notice. Now it might not stand, and it may get them chewed out/fired later, but in that moment I believe we would have to assume they do.
:iagree: Anyone wearing a Walmart vest or name tag would have 'apparent authority' to tell you you must leave. It does not specify a particular job title like 'the owner, the asset protection manager, the janitor, etc', so if they are an employee, they wold have apparent authority.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I was caught stealing cigarettes when i was 17 and got a "lifetime ban" from ALL Walmarts the security guy said. I was NOT arrested and no LEO was involved, no ticket or fine.

I was back in the same store the next day buying stuff. IF you think ANYONE ever remembers you then you are just ... full of yourself!!!!! :rolll :reddevil :biggrinjester:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

TreyHouston wrote:I was caught stealing cigarettes when i was 17 and got a "lifetime ban" from ALL Walmarts the security guy said. I was NOT arrested and no LEO was involved, no ticket or fine.

I was back in the same store the next day buying stuff. IF you think ANYONE ever remembers you then you are just ... full of yourself!!!!! :rolll :reddevil :biggrinjester:
Willing to bet your LTC on that ?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

Keith B wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

:iagree: Anyone wearing a Walmart vest or name tag would have 'apparent authority' to tell you you must leave. It does not specify a particular job title like 'the owner, the asset protection manager, the janitor, etc', so if they are an employee, they wold have apparent authority.
1. Walmart Corporate's policy is to follow local law on the carry of firearms. This has been discussed here many times.

2. If you or anyone you know has worked at Walmart, you should be aware that they just barely authorize their employees to breath the air in their stores. It isn't Sam Walton's Walmart any more. Employees are empowered to do nothing any more, unless you're some level of manager.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”