Florida road rager takes out motorcyclists

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Florida road rager takes out motorcyclists

Post by treadlightly »

I hate it that road rage seems to be a separate category of behavior, almost as if rage tied to driving has some justification.

That driver was just being himself. That's who he is, and no matter what provocation he imagined or endured there was no justification for attacking those bikers with an automobile.

I first rode a bike close to 50 years ago. LIke guns and sailboats, they are a passion. And my wife. She's a passion, too, but right after her and the dog, of course, not to mention my kids, bikes are a passion, right up there with guns and sailboats.

Be safe and de-escalate.

FloridaViaMissouri
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FloridaViaMissouri »

The driver has a long list of criminal convictions and spent time in prison what I've seen on the news here in FL.

Why are people so hot headed in FL for? I'm from Missouri and St. Louis has it's share of crime, typical robberies, murders, etc but nowhere near the kind of bizarre crimes and road rage you see down here.

Ryan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ryan »

TexasFlash wrote:I've been open carrying on my motorcycle; Dave :txflag:
TexasFlash- Have you noticed any change in the way people drive around you now that you open carry?

Ever since I started open carrying on the bike, I haven't had one person purposefully try to push me out of my lane, tailgate me, or any of the other number of things that cagers like to do to us bikers.

Actually, many people won't even sit beside me in the lane next to me after they see my gun. They'll speed up or slow down, but they won't stay right there. These last few months have been awesome on the motorcycle, thanks to open carry. I can't say I don't enjoy this "side effect" ;-)

As for this scenario, the thought would have definitely crossed my mind to skin the ol' smoke wagon...
But I'm sure he was probably out of range by the time anyone could have gotten up, drew their weapon, etc...too much risk of missing and hitting an innocent bystander. Now, had he stopped the car and reversed, got out, or anything like that... then that would change things.

Topic author
TexasFlash
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasFlash »

Ryan wrote:
TexasFlash- Have you noticed any change in the way people drive around you now that you open carry?

Ever since I started open carrying on the bike, I haven't had one person purposefully try to push me out of my lane, tailgate me, or any of the other number of things that cagers like to do to us bikers.

Actually, many people won't even sit beside me in the lane next to me after they see my gun. They'll speed up or slow down, but they won't stay right there. These last few months have been awesome on the motorcycle, thanks to open carry. I can't say I don't enjoy this "side effect" ;-)

As for this scenario, the thought would have definitely crossed my mind to skin the ol' smoke wagon...
But I'm sure he was probably out of range by the time anyone could have gotten up, drew their weapon, etc...too much risk of missing and hitting an innocent bystander. Now, had he stopped the car and reversed, got out, or anything like that... then that would change things.
I haven't noticed any different behavior by other drivers, but most of my riding is on rural roads outside San Antonio...I did have a Sheriff's vehicle pull out and follow me for about 10 miles between Medina and Bandera; might have been a coincidence, but he was on my gun side as I passed him.
Most of the close calls I've had involved turkeys....I don't think they like me.
Dave :txflag:

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

Ryan wrote:

My brother in law up in Arkansas told me he has noticed a similar effect whenever he open carries while riding.
J.R.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

number of things that cagers like to do to us bikers.

I find just the opposite. I use to ride bikes and I give bikers a wide berth. However, I'm tired of the crotch rockets weaving in and out of traffic while they speed( I actually had one clip me....he wobbled but he did not fall down.....so of course he did not stop.) I had a group of about 30 bikers meet me at a four way stop this weekend. I was going straight and they were turning left from the opposite direction. I let the first two go and as I went to proceed the rest of them speed thru the intersection. I received the middle finger salute from one idiot. Had that happened in my younger years he may have had the opportunity to observe the underside of my 1 ton P/U. I respect you because we "share" the road and I respect life. I could careless about your gun.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Prayers sent that just Terrible.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

FloridaViaMissouri wrote:The driver has a long list of criminal convictions and spent time in prison what I've seen on the news here in FL.

Why are people so hot headed in FL for? I'm from Missouri and St. Louis has it's share of crime, typical robberies, murders, etc but nowhere near the kind of bizarre crimes and road rage you see down here.
I have several internet acquaintances that live In Florida and refer to it as, "Flori-duh". :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

WTR wrote:number of things that cagers like to do to us bikers.

I find just the opposite. I use to ride bikes and I give bikers a wide berth. However, I'm tired of the crotch rockets weaving in and out of traffic while they speed( I actually had one clip me....he wobbled but he did not fall down.....so of course he did not stop.) I had a group of about 30 bikers meet me at a four way stop this weekend. I was going straight and they were turning left from the opposite direction. I let the first two go and as I went to proceed the rest of them speed thru the intersection. I received the middle finger salute from one idiot. Had that happened in my younger years he may have had the opportunity to observe the underside of my 1 ton P/U. I respect you because we "share" the road and I respect life. I could careless about your gun.
Then it would be you facing attempted murder charges. A traffic infraction does not deserve death. This is the same point that was made about that Crumb guy a while back that deliberately swerved to hit a biker that was passing him on a double yellow. Running a stop sign and cutting you off is a jerk move. No argument. I don't do it, but I know there are a lot of bikers that do. Especially when riding in a big group. I've been ticked at bikers riding like jerks lots of times. Just like I've been ticked at cagers driving like jerks lots of times. However, I've never tried to murder any of them. Regardless of how mad some of their actions may make us, we have to be better than them. Take a deep breath, say a quick prayer that they don't hurt anyone with their idiocy, and get on with your life. That's the only mature reaction. I realize that's probably exactly what you did, and I don't in any way intend this as a personal attack, so please don't take it that way. It just disturbs me when people imply that minor traffic offenses deserve punishment by death or serious injury. There's a reason that the penalty for these types of offenses is a ticket, not the chair. Again, please don't take this personally, as you made the mature decision, and I applaud you for it.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Ryan wrote:Have you noticed any change in the way people drive around you now that you open carry?
Just to chime in on this one, I have noticed a bit of a difference as well. I always open carry on the bike now. Even before doing so, I have found that most cagers are pretty cool to me. In fact, they tend to be a lot more considerate when I'm on the bike than they are when I'm in my car. Now that may be because a ride a cruiser with a bunch of skulls and stuff on it, not a sport bike, I don't know. However, I have definitely noticed that since I've been open carrying, people leave me more space much of the time. Or I'll have somebody driving right on my back fender who suddenly backs way off. I should probably also mention that I ride in DFW, but seldom on the major freeways and interstates. That may also somewhat account for my experience. Regardless, I feel much more secure being able to ride without my gun being under a shirt and a zipped up jacket where I can't get to it quickly should I have need of it. To me, this is the main reason to open carry while riding. I actually had a guy in a car pull a gun on me one time while on the bike, and I couldn't possibly get to mine without it being extremely obvious what I was doing and taking way too long. I had to talk the guy down and deescalate the situation. I was able to do so, but probably wouldn't have had to had be been able to see that I was armed. I also would have had the option of defending myself had talking not worked. Anyway, sorry to ramble. Hope this helps.

Let's go Brandon.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I don't understand referring to motorists, that is car/truck drivers as: "Cagers"

To me it has a certain holier than thou ring to it.

I'm an avid cyclist, (though recently, I'm on hiatus due to shoulder problems) but I also drive a pick-up and occasionally my wife's car.

Perhaps, if one never drives a truck or car, you're qualified to refer to others that do as "Cagers".

I do know one avid cyclist who constantly refers to motorists as "Cagers", but owns a car dealership.

Funny stuff!

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Abraham wrote:I don't understand referring to motorists, that is car/truck drivers as: "Cagers"

To me it has a certain holier than thou ring to it.

I'm an avid cyclist, (though recently, I'm on hiatus due to shoulder problems) but I also drive a pick-up and occasionally my wife's car.

Perhaps, if one never drives a truck or car, you're qualified to refer to others that do as "Cagers".

I do know one avid cyclist who constantly refers to motorists as "Cagers", but owns a car dealership.

Funny stuff!
I have always thought of it as referring to being trapped in a cage instead of experiencing the freedom and joy of riding a motorcycle. I have been having to take the car to work all this week because of all the rain we've been getting, and I have lamented having to be in the cage so much. So I guess to me it's more of a conditional statement than a reference to a separate segment of society. When in the car, I'm a cager. A generally considerate and level-headed cager that takes extra care to be courteous to bikes, but a cager all the same. Maybe some people think of the term differently; I'm not really sure.

Let's go Brandon.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

LucasMcCain,

Your explanation sounds eminently reasonable.

Though, I have heard some snootily use the term 'cagers' as if being on two wheels somehow makes them superior to motorists.

What makes this especially hilarious to me is they all own and drive cars & trucks.

So, I guess they're only on and off superior.

Again, funny stuff!

Ryan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ryan »

Well, the problem for me is I get lumped into the "crotch rocket" crowd just because I own one. But I can guarantee you that if you ever see ME out riding, I'm waiting in line with traffic and going the speed limit like everyone else. Not splitting lanes, not riding 100+ down the freeway, not cutting people off, not riding wheelies etc. I don't ride like those idiots you speak of and I don't ride WITH those type of people either. But I sure get lumped into that crowd every time and I'm tired of it. Stop judging all sport bike riders based on the actions of other sport bike riders.

I'm sorry if you feel that being called a "cager" is offensive. I don't mean it to be. If you are driving a car that day, you are a cager. Take it how you will. When I drive a car, I am a cager.

All I was asking was if anyone noticed a difference while open carrying while riding... thanks to those of you who answered my question. I don't really ride with anybody else so haven't had the opportunity to ask many people about their experiences.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Ryan,

Believe it or not, I'm on your side.

The only thing I was commenting on is the use of the word 'cager' and I thought I did so in a rather good-natured way.

P.S. What is the 'crotch rocket crowd'?

That's a term I'm unfamiliar with.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”