Going swimming? How to carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Going swimming? How to carry?

Post by AJSully421 »

In the past, I have worn a buckle less nylon belt with a holster and carried a G26 while swimming / jet sking. Glocks will take the chlorine just fine. Pull a shirt over it and go to town. I started using the Safariland 7ts holsters and am thoroughly impressed. I recommend the 7377 for a basic, no nonsense, level I holster.

This year, I am going full open carry with a G17 in a Safariland 7390 with a more secure 5.11 nylon belt . That being said, I never go to a community or city pool. My parents live on Lake Granbury and have a dock, and my wife's parents have a pool and jet skis that we take out on Lake Arlington... so those are really the only three places that I would take it.

ETA: I found some Gold Dot Dive ammo that is waterproof. Also, Winchester has their 9mm NATO ammo at Academy (sigh) most times. NATO Spec ammo would be waterproof too... plus FMJ is better if you have to fire underwater, like at a gator or something.
Last edited by AJSully421 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

ELB

Post by ELB »

Once on a snowmobile trip we ended up at a hotsprings pool, and wife wanted us to partake. There was no locking anything in sight, dang sure wasn't going to leave my gun in the changing room. I had an idea this might come up, so was carrying a stainless steel snubby and had a pair of shorts with me that were sort of a combo between shorts and swim trunks, i.e. they had pockets. Just put the revolver in a pocket. When I got back to the hotel, ran hot tapwater through the gun for awhile, dried it with the hair dryer, and oiled it. No worse for wear. I had had a Glock then, I would have taken it.

As far as water encroaching on ammo -- it's always best to test things for yourself, but I would not be concerned. I once soaked (completely covered) three kinds of ammo in three kinds of oil, including Kroil, for a week, to see if it would cause a problem. Used a premium SD ammo, something else, and Blazer aluminum 9mm practice ammo, i.e. "cheap stuff." I figured the Blazer practice ammo would have the lease quality control and be the most likely to leak.

No misfires whatsoever. Stopped worrying about getting oil on my ammo, and I doubt water would be a problem either.
USAF 1982-2005

Morbidrealities

Post by Morbidrealities »

Buy a waterproof tablet bag. Wear cargo shorts and put it in one of the cargo pockets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C2MJS ... c_redir=T1

goose

Post by goose »

Do you carry weak side with a zip-lock so that you use your strong side to open the bag? :-)

I have fallen in my pool accidentally while carrying. I can't see myself doing this on purpose. Never say never but not soon anyway.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Just make sure you are carrying a Glock. As far as how to carry, OWB works fine as long as the pool doesn't have a valid 30.07 sign posted.

Topic author
Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soap »

ScottDLS wrote:I carry a suppressed SIG P226 w/ 147g HP in the waterproof bag that I was issued while in Navy Special Warfare (aka SEALS). Usually when people see my perfectly sculpted muscular body and steely eyed glare, I don't have to bring the SIG into play. Even while swimming I am constantly highly alert for dangerous perps. Look at me wrong, they get a double tap to the forehead. I've taken out a few deep cover SVR & GRU agents this way, then I call for a CIA clean up team to take care of the body's. :shock:
My God man. lol

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”