(KP-0098) Requirements for a municipality’s posting of notice regarding the carrying of handguns

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

(KP-0098) Requirements for a municipality’s posting of notice regarding the carrying of handguns

Post by jmorris »

Don't see it started yet, and since it's not 06/07 I put it here.

The AG has released an opinion on a request ..."on behalf of the City of Alice asking multiple questions concerning the requirements a city must follow in posting notice about the carrying of handguns at open and closed meetings of a city council."

"If a room is used for open meetings and for other purposes, a governmental entity may not provide notice under section 30.06 or 30.07 excluding the carrying of handguns when the room is used for purposes other than an open meeting. "

"If using cards or documents to provide notice that the carrying of handguns is prohibited pursuant to subsection 46.035( c) of the Penal Code, a governmental entity should make it clear that the prohibition applies only to the meeting room or rooms and only when the governmental entity is holding an open meeting. "

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/op ... &utm_term=
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 1

Re: (KP-0098) Requirements for a municipality’s posting of notice regarding the carrying of handguns

Post by imkopaka »

I think I will forward this info to Lamesa's City Council. They posted the council chambers earlier this year (on the grounds that SOMETIMES it is used for municipal court) and don't seem to understand that they can only post during those times. Thanks for the info!
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”