The years is half over and I haven't seen an open carrier yet

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

magillapd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The years is half over and I haven't seen an open carrier yet

Post by magillapd »

I saw someome with an empty OWB holster in Albertsons. He was on the phone or else I would have asked him about it. Made me wonder if they gave him verbal 30.07
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I always CC carry almost everywhere to avoid verbal .06, .07 in the stores. Once you receive verbal you cant carry there anymore, so as long as nobody knows i'm carying i can continue to have my firearm with me. Never know when you will need it. I was wondering...if you get a verbal warning somewhere like at a walmart, can you still carry at a different walmart or does it apply to every walmart you go to? :???:

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

Take Down Sicko wrote:I always CC carry almost everywhere to avoid verbal .06, .07 in the stores. Once you receive verbal you cant carry there anymore, so as long as nobody knows i'm carying i can continue to have my firearm with me. Never know when you will need it. I was wondering...if you get a verbal warning somewhere like at a walmart, can you still carry at a different walmart or does it apply to every walmart you go to? :???:
Walmart won't give you verbal notice. Crisis averted.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Overthehill

Post by Overthehill »

I have open carried every day, since legal, in the area towns. As mentioned most do not notice and only two people have looked askance or said anything negative. I do conceal for HEB, one local bank and when going to heavier populated areas. Thus far have seen no one else carrying openly. Several have commented on being happy to see someone open carrying and several "What gun is that?" followed by their favorite weapon including several law enforcement.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

I've never seen one in Austin but I haven't been consciously looking either. I haven't and probably won't ever OC myself but I like that we have the option. The fight and political capital spent to get this done and out of the way was worth it, imho. Looking forward to focusing on a HB308 equivalent this session, among other things.

Take Down Sicko

Walmart was just an example. Say, Sears or Kroger or any chain store gives you a verbal .06 or .07, would it apply to all of there stores?

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

I OC over half the time because that's when I'm dressed in business casual and that's the only way I can carry. Every day. At stores, restaurants, Lowes, bookstores, etc. all the time. And no one seems to care. Occasionally someone will look at my side and then move on. I've walked into a large fuel stop and there were 5 LEOs all standing at the counter as I walked up to pay. We exchanged pleasantries and that was that.

Folks just don't seem to care. At least openly.

However there is a couple of observations I have. When I walk in with OC I also carry with me a complete aire of confidence. I act confident, I seem confident, I am confident. I know the rules expertly and know what I'm supposed to do and not do. I look people in the eye with a smile and try to not put people at ill ease.

I am also 60 years old and generally dress in a professional manner. So I believe, in my case, I don't cause alarm to someone seeing me. This won't always be the case with some people. If they dress like a slob or like a thug or seem shifty they are more likely to cause a second look and possibly cause alarm.

I prefer CC but I carry as often as possible CC or OC. And I have discovered this...initially I was more nervous about OC than I think was ultimately necessary. It has been my experience that you will be more self-conscious about it than anyone else is.

OC legally and with confidence. Act like you have a natural right to and as if it is perfectly normal and you will be surprised how little people take note.

Tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

I have only seen one person walking their dog around 9:00 pm, back in March.

Morbidrealities
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Morbidrealities »

Take Down Sicko wrote:Walmart was just an example. Say, Sears or Kroger or any chain store gives you a verbal .06 or .07, would it apply to all of there stores?

No. As long as there is no sign you are golden. If they give you a verbal at the Albertsons down the road and you decide to go to a different Albertsons, as long as they don't have a legal posting, they would have to give you a verbal there as well.

Honestly, if I go into a business and receive a verbal, I'll go back outside and conceal, then re-enter. I'll speak with the management and if need be corporate. I have discovered every time that it's not corporate or the owners policy and it's just an employee thinking they know what's best for everyone.

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

Ive seen 2 so far. 1 at american girl store in dallas. He walked right past the 30.06/07 though. But nobody asked him to leave. I gave him a smile and a nod. The other one was at Grapevine mills mall. The guy was very tactical. He was packing a 1911 with sparta grips. No chaos at the mall.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Take Down Sicko

Deitz83 wrote:I have only seen one person walking their dog around 9:00 pm, back in March.
Ahh Hahaha! was it a chihuahau or a pit bull :biggrinjester:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

thetexan wrote:I OC over half the time because that's when I'm dressed in business casual and that's the only way I can carry. Every day. At stores, restaurants, Lowes, bookstores, etc. all the time. And no one seems to care. Occasionally someone will look at my side and then move on. I've walked into a large fuel stop and there were 5 LEOs all standing at the counter as I walked up to pay. We exchanged pleasantries and that was that.

Folks just don't seem to care. At least openly.

However there is a couple of observations I have. When I walk in with OC I also carry with me a complete aire of confidence. I act confident, I seem confident, I am confident. I know the rules expertly and know what I'm supposed to do and not do. I look people in the eye with a smile and try to not put people at ill ease.

I am also 60 years old and generally dress in a professional manner. So I believe, in my case, I don't cause alarm to someone seeing me. This won't always be the case with some people. If they dress like a slob or like a thug or seem shifty they are more likely to cause a second look and possibly cause alarm.

I prefer CC but I carry as often as possible CC or OC. And I have discovered this...initially I was more nervous about OC than I think was ultimately necessary. It has been my experience that you will be more self-conscious about it than anyone else is.

OC legally and with confidence. Act like you have a natural right to and as if it is perfectly normal and you will be surprised how little people take note.

Tex
Who

:iagree:

I am the same way, polite, friendly, make eye contact, hold open doors, etc.. As you said most never notice, and even fewer say anything. Those that I have engaged in conversation including LEOS, have all had positive comments. I believe that the mass hysteria the media predicted was all hyperbole. Also the crazed tacticool people shown carrying ARS are not what the people are seeing, instead they are seeing considerate, friendly people minding our own business, in a non-threatening manner.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Morbidrealities

aaangel wrote:Ive seen 2 so far. 1 at american girl store in dallas. He walked right past the 30.06/07 though. But nobody asked him to leave. I gave him a smile and a nod. The other one was at Grapevine mills mall. The guy was very tactical. He was packing a 1911 with sparta grips. No chaos at the mall.
Last I saw, Grapevine Mills was posted 30.06 and 30.07. I cannot imagine the mall cops didn't cause a ruckus or at least call LEO.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Morbidrealities wrote:
aaangel wrote:Ive seen 2 so far. 1 at american girl store in dallas. He walked right past the 30.06/07 though. But nobody asked him to leave. I gave him a smile and a nod. The other one was at Grapevine mills mall. The guy was very tactical. He was packing a 1911 with sparta grips. No chaos at the mall.
Last I saw, Grapevine Mills was posted 30.06 and 30.07. I cannot imagine the mall cops didn't cause a ruckus or at least call LEO.
Grapevine Mills took down their 30.06 signs in January....and did not put up a 30.07. I think that's kinda neat. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Morbidrealities

joe817 wrote:
Morbidrealities wrote:
Grapevine Mills took down their 30.06 signs in January....and did not put up a 30.07. I think that's kinda neat. ;-)

Pretty awesome. I remember reading articles stating they were going to continue being gun free and post 30.07 signs after the beginning of the year. I haven't been there in years though due to my aversion of crowds and because i don't trust a place that big posting 30.06 signs.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”