Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Police Knowledge of CHL

Post by Abraham »

SA_Steve,

Sorry, I don't understand your post.

What's "not for me"

Refusing to provide I.D. when not lawfully required to or ...?

Please, elaborate.

Thanks!

RSX11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RSX11 »

If you have red hair and blue jeans and cowboy boots on a\ and a snatch and grab was was put on radio by police dispatch with the forementioned description and a Law man rolls up on you as you are walking down the street and asks for ID. will you refuse and get it started?

In the unlikely event that I am walking around unarmed, then yep, I will. Rights not exercised tend to get eroded. If we start making exceptions for circumstances, soon enough the right is gone. If a cop wants to know who I am, and he has cause to, he can arrest me and find out.

But since I'm always armed, it's mostly moot - I have to ID if I'm carrying/

In the situation you describe above, the cop is likely to arrest me in any case, so they get a peek at the license due to the arrest.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

I know when I am treated politely and with respect, I'm more likely to respond in kind and with co-operation. It has always gone down well for me. One time a Texas DPS officer took an attitude , and was asking me where I was going and why I was going there. I answered his questions, but when he asked be for my social security number, I told him It was none of his business, and that I didn't have to tell him. He the claimed I did. I thought it was gonna get ugly, but he just muttered off "Never mind" and wrote me a ticket for going 10 over the speed limit.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

growlerVII
Posts in topic: 1

Post by growlerVII »

It seems to me that I read somewhere that it IS a requirement to provide your SS upon request to Texas LEO. I'm not sure if it's still in effect. And seeing how it's not an "identification" I can see how they could press the issue. HOWEVER........and this is a huge caveat, you are not required to speak to law enforcement. Ever. For any reason . As per the 5th amendment. But it's probably a good idea to show I.d. when asked; if only to avoid a detention.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

growlerVII wrote:It seems to me that I read somewhere that it IS a requirement to provide your SS upon request to Texas LEO. I'm not sure if it's still in effect. And seeing how it's not an "identification" I can see how they could press the issue.
Generally speaking, that's a "nope." You do have to provide your Social Security Number to TXDPS for certain purposes, like obtaining a driver's license, but a state trooper who's pulled you over does not have a legal right to your SSN; no LEO does. This was established in the Privacy Act of 1974. Also:
Section 7 of the Privacy Act (found at 5 U.S.C. §552a note (Disclosure of Social Security Number) wrote: Any Federal, State, or local government agency which requests an individual to disclose his social security account number shall inform that individual whether that disclosure is mandatory or voluntary, by what statutory or other authority such number is solicited, and what uses will be made of it.
So regardless of whether or not it's mandatory you give your SSN to any representative of a government agency, an appropriate disclosure statement must be provided.

Some reference links:

"What You Should Know about Giving Out Your Social Security Number" by then-Attorney General Greg Abbott (PDF file)

Overview of the Privacy Act of 1974, at justice.gov

Text of 5 U.S.C. §552a at the U.S. Government Publishing Office (PDF file)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”