Is this sign 3006/3007 sign legal

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

casp625
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is this sign 3006/3007 sign legal

Post by casp625 »

RoyGBiv wrote:I'll play devils advocate...

Q: What words are missing from that sign?
A: "concealed handgun law" (30.06)

I could argue that the referenced sign meets 30.07, but not 30.06.

(3) “Written communication” means:
<Text of (c)(3)(A) effective until Jan. 1, 2016>

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following:  “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”
(3) "Written communication" means:

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly"; or
Actually both 30.06 & 30.07 signs reference "handgun licensing law." if you see "concealed handgun law" it is an old sign.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

casp625 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:I'll play devils advocate...

Q: What words are missing from that sign?
A: "concealed handgun law" (30.06)

I could argue that the referenced sign meets 30.07, but not 30.06.

(3) “Written communication” means:
<Text of (c)(3)(A) effective until Jan. 1, 2016>

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following:  “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”
(3) "Written communication" means:

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly"; or
Actually both 30.06 & 30.07 signs reference "handgun licensing law." if you see "concealed handgun law" it is an old sign.
True. The word "concealed" was removed when open carry passed. That is why the license is now called an LTC instead of CHL.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Hmmm? Somebody thought of something the legislature didn't; i.e., one sign does both.

Topic author
FL450
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FL450 »

I want to thank everyone for some great feedback.
I am surprised it took thos long for someone to try to combine the two and I am not going to bring this to their attention.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

FL450 wrote:I want to thank everyone for some great feedback.
I am surprised it took thos long for someone to try to combine the two and I am not going to bring this to their attention.
This isn't the first sign like this. There have been a few others mentioned here on this forum.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Oldgringo wrote:Hmmm? Somebody thought of something the legislature didn't; i.e., one sign does both.
I think the legislature did think of this and decided to not allow it as an alternative. That's why the statute says the signs have to have "identical" wording to what is listed. The intent was to require two signs (4 if you consider English and Spanish to be separate signs), if you want to ban all handguns, except for LEO, and criminals, and Federal agents...... The 4 signs can be right next to each other and can even be on the same poster board, but they need to both be there. Not some clever combination of wording.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

It is not.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”