Waiting for Campus Carry...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Waiting for Campus Carry...

Post by AF-Odin »

Good article in the Killeen Daily Herald this morning. We have Texas A&M University-Central Texas(TAMU-CT) and Central Texas College (CTC-a Community College). As for TAMU-CT, the ONLY place off-limits is the University Counseling Center. However, an unfortunate by-product of the year delay for Community Colleges is that there are a significant number of people that are dual enrolled in TAMU-CT and CTC, thus are fully legal to attend classes carrying at one, but not the other (the two schools are only a couple of miles apart and until a couple of years ago shared classroom and administrative spaces). I am sure that responsible actions by LTC holders will show as we have for more than 20 years that this will be a non-event and everyone will be able to go about their business with no change EXCEPT, we who choose, will have the ability to protect ourselves if need be.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

jb2012 wrote:I honestly never thought this day would come! I took two classes during the summer one term, so I am taking a break during summer two. Will be back at it hard late august. If you don't mind sharing, how does everyone plan to carry? I have an IWB that is semi-comfortable that I'll use until it's cool enough for sweatshirts, and then I'll probably stick to a pancake OWB holster.
As a Bobcat dad of a daughter that is taking two classes in each summer session but is 19 and can't carry yet I just wanted to say thanks for planning on carrying. We have had the discussions about how we will both feel better on August 1st and after. She's really happy at TXST and this will make it better.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I work for a State university I often work late nice to know that I can legally carry :patriot:
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

xd9sc

Post by xd9sc »

Getting anxious! :txflag:

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jb2012 »

TresHuevos wrote:
jb2012 wrote:I honestly never thought this day would come! I took two classes during the summer one term, so I am taking a break during summer two. Will be back at it hard late august. If you don't mind sharing, how does everyone plan to carry? I have an IWB that is semi-comfortable that I'll use until it's cool enough for sweatshirts, and then I'll probably stick to a pancake OWB holster.
As a Bobcat dad of a daughter that is taking two classes in each summer session but is 19 and can't carry yet I just wanted to say thanks for planning on carrying. We have had the discussions about how we will both feel better on August 1st and after. She's really happy at TXST and this will make it better.
Absolutely! All of us are looking out for each other!

Topic author
TheCytochromeC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TheCytochromeC »

Good morning every one!

I'm headed to school today to work out. Unfortunately the Maverick Activities Center at UTA is posted 30.06 but I'll still make sure to peruse the permitted areas in a moment of appreciation.

Here's the Exclusionary Areas Map http://www.uta.edu/news/info/campus-carry/map.php

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

My clinic was supposed to be completely excluded at first, but another doc and I fought hard enough to get just the exam rooms excluded. The official policy that was approved and published shows it as partially excluded. I Walked up today and the entrance had 7/16 of an inch 30-06 signs posted.

When I am on call, I might come in at any hour of the night by myself.

Cjwglock19

Post by Cjwglock19 »

So what does a dorm resident do for storage??

From article on Fox News website

For example, at the University of Texas at Austin, teachers will be allowed to declare their offices as gun-free zones, but most will post signs announcing it. Dorm residents can have guns in common areas, such as dining areas and lounges, but not sleeping rooms, where no storage of weapons is allowed. Exceptions to the room restrictions will be made for visiting family members who are licensed to carry handguns.
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

MommaBear
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MommaBear »

:thewave
It is exactly like a Wally Walk all over again. I'm glancing down constantly nervous that I'm printing. It's a great day for Texas!

Got a little excited this morning getting dressed, trying to decide what to "wear". It's silly, actually. I carry almost all of the time except at work. I should be used to this by now!

Topic author
TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

Cjwglock19 wrote:So what does a dorm resident do for storage??

For example, at the University of Texas at Austin, teachers will be allowed to declare their offices as gun-free zones, but most will post signs announcing it. Dorm residents can have guns in common areas, such as dining areas and lounges, but not sleeping rooms, where no storage of weapons is allowed. Exceptions to the room restrictions will be made for visiting family members who are licensed to carry handguns.
That's university policy specific. UTA appears to allow them in dorms now but University owned apartments and independent apartments may have lessee agreements. https://www.uta.edu/policy/hop/12-500?hl=handgun

UTA isn't providing lockers of any kind of check-in system. So for UTA it's basically it's all or nothing and your responsibility.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I was thinking of going up to UTA with my p938 just because I could...but Figured I could wait til fall semester begins.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

JMod45

Post by JMod45 »

TheCytochromeC wrote:
Cjwglock19 wrote:So what does a dorm resident do for storage??

That's university policy specific. UTA appears to allow them in dorms now but University owned apartments and independent apartments may have lessee agreements. https://www.uta.edu/policy/hop/12-500?hl=handgun

UTA isn't providing lockers of any kind of check-in system. So for UTA it's basically it's all or nothing and your responsibility.
TAMU policy is that guns are allowed in dorms, but you must purchase or rent a safe from Res Life. You are not allowed to use your own safe in a dorm.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jb2012 »

JMod45 wrote:
TAMU policy is that guns are allowed in dorms, but you must purchase or rent a safe from Res Life. You are not allowed to use your own safe in a dorm.
how would they know? There is no way personally that I would buy a safe from that company. BUT, there is absolutely no way I would ever live in a dorm again lol.

dru

Post by dru »

I decided to have some t-shirts made for myself and my wife especially for the occasion. We are going to go to the UT-Austin campus and hopefully do some advocacy, awareness, and outreach work.

You can see it here:

http://imgur.com/a/ceUsa

allisji

Post by allisji »

dru wrote:I decided to have some t-shirts made for myself and my wife especially for the occasion. We are going to go to the UT-Austin campus and hopefully do some advocacy, awareness, and outreach work.

You can see it here:

http://imgur.com/a/ceUsa
"Ask me about my concealed handgun"

Good luck! Please come back and give an update about your interactions. It will be interesting to hear how many are "anti-gun", how many are "pro-gun", and how many are just curious.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”