Chl background question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ericjd0887
Posts in topic: 3

Chl background question

Post by Ericjd0887 »

Good afternoon! I am new to this! I have a question with a little story background. This question pertains to the background check for the chl or ltc is what they are calling it now. I have never been arrested, I have never had to go to court for disorderly conduct or even given a ticket for that and I don't have any mental issue and I've already made a purchase to buy a gun and had no issues with doing so, but I am hearing the ltc background check is very in depth so my true question is back when I was younger and a little dumber... I let about 4 moving violations turn into warrants for failure to appear... Now I have never been arrested for these tickets, nor pulled over and even given a warning saying there were warrants for my arrest... I decided to just pay them off so now I am warrant free and have been so for going on 2 years now... Will this affect the background in any kind of way?

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Chl background question

Post by ScottDLS »

Welcome to the forum from another member...

All the traffic offenses are presumably class C misdemeanors and not prohibiting for LTC. If you paid them, you essentially pled guilty, and paid the fine. The failure to appear could have resulted in an arrest which you'd need to report, but it didn't, so no reason it should take very long.

There seems to be some debate about what DPS does for the background check, but from best information I've been able to figure is:

-Do a National Crime Information Center (NCIC) with the FBI using your name/info/prints.
-Do a National Instant Check System (NICS) check to make sure you are not prohibited from buying a gun.
-Request a criminal history check from any counties you've lived in for last 5 years. If they're not in Texas or they don't answer back in 30 days, you PASS.

Nothing about this should take a long time unless they find something, or if they are backlogged with apps, though that seems to have gotten beter lately. I got a renewal in 3 weeks in June.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Scott has it right... if only Class C stuff, no active warrants, and no recorded arrests for anything... then smooth sailing.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topic author
Ericjd0887

Post by Ericjd0887 »

Thank you so much for a response. Makes me feel better. I've already sent my application in with my chl-100 and fingerprints done already as well. Let's see. I'm pretty confident that everything is good.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Ericjd0887 wrote:Thank you so much for a response. Makes me feel better. I've already sent my application in with my chl-100 and fingerprints done already as well. Let's see. I'm pretty confident that everything is good.

Good luck and welcome to the forum, These guys on here are great sources for information and some of it is actually correct. :biggrinjester:

Seriously ask anything you need about guns, accessories, LTC, etc.. There are plenty of people here, who have the answers. :thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Ericjd0887

Post by Ericjd0887 »

Jusme wrote:
Ericjd0887 wrote:Thank you so much for a response. Makes me feel better. I've already sent my application in with my chl-100 and fingerprints done already as well. Let's see. I'm pretty confident that everything is good.

Good luck and welcome to the forum, These guys on here are great sources for information and some of it is actually correct. :biggrinjester:

Seriously ask anything you need about guns, accessories, LTC, etc.. There are plenty of people here, who have the answers. :thumbs2:
Thank you! I was combing through this site before I decided to join and came across answers I had been looking for so I feel very confident. Everyone seems knowledgeable in this group. Helps out a lot. Especially for a first time owner of a gun as well as going through the ltc process.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Ericjd0887 wrote:Thank you! I was combing through this site before I decided to join and came across answers I had been looking for so I feel very confident. Everyone seems knowledgeable in this group. Helps out a lot. Especially for a first time owner of a gun as well as going through the ltc process.
Welcome! There is a wealth of information here. As a first time gun owner, I would encourage you to take an introductory handgun class at a local gun range. They are usually offered for a pretty reasonable fee and are a good way to get all the basic training that they don't give you in the LTC class. You may wish to pursue further training after that or you may not, but just getting the basics is a good idea for anyone just getting started. Again, welcome and congratulations on taking responsibility for the safety of you and yours.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Don't worry about it at all, you'll have your plastic before you know it.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”