Vicious Dogs trying to maul me

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rotor
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Vicious Dogs trying to maul me

Post by rotor »

So after all of this the best is probably to get a treadmill. If you get a Rx from your doctor you should be able to deduct the cost from your taxes. If you insist on doing your walks outside as is your right in a "free" country pick one of the previously mentioned methods of protection.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I suggest you consider a Ruger SR-22 pistol with a Sparrow silencer and sub sonic ammunition. :fire
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

KLB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KLB »

Russell wrote:I personally couldn't really care less if the sheriff is "good with it", the law is the law and it's mine (and everyone else's!) right under the current Texas law to open carry a long gun on public streets (and a handgun now if you have your LTC).
Under the right circumstances, you are probably correct that you may have to rely on letting law enforcement know what you're doing and why you think it's legal. But I think you go there too causally. My guess is that you have never personally faced the emotional turmoil or the financial drain of a criminal charge. Don't embrace bad things that can reasonably be avoided.

rotor

Post by rotor »

A little more research into the law. First, there are no laws in the Texas Penal Code that justifies the use of deadly force against a dog if it is attacking you. If you are attacked by a lion and certain specific dangerous wild animals you can use deadly force. But, Texas Health and Safety Code 822.013 allows a person to kill a dog or coyote that is attacking livestock, domestic animals or fowls. Gov. Perry killed a coyote that was attacking his dog, therefore he was legal. If it was attacking him than he might have gone to court.
The lesson would be that when you take those walks make sure you take your dog with you and if your "dog" is attacked you can legally dispatch the attacking dog with that shotgun or whatever other firearm you are legally able to carry. I guess technically you don't have to have a dog with you, it could be any domestic animal that you have but it's hard to walk a cat or a pet duck. I would stick with a dog.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

PC §9.22 wrote:PC §9.22. NECESSITY. Conduct is justified if:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the conduct is immediately necessary to avoid imminent harm;
(2) the desirability and urgency of avoiding the harm clearly outweigh, according to ordinary standards of reasonableness, the harm sought to be prevented by the law proscribing the conduct; and
(3) a legislative purpose to exclude the justification claimed for the conduct does not otherwise plainly appear.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

rotor

Post by rotor »

Pawpaw wrote:
PC §9.22 wrote:PC §9.22. NECESSITY. Conduct is justified if:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the conduct is immediately necessary to avoid imminent harm;
(2) the desirability and urgency of avoiding the harm clearly outweigh, according to ordinary standards of reasonableness, the harm sought to be prevented by the law proscribing the conduct; and
(3) a legislative purpose to exclude the justification claimed for the conduct does not otherwise plainly appear.
True, but that is decided by a jury and is not a guarantee and certainly won't be cheap.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

"A dog or dogs on a dead run to attack are not easy targets in the small space of time you may have to react. Can you assess fast enough what is behind it before shooting? What if it is running out of a yard full of children to attack? If your only means of defense is deadly force, it may be impossible for you to use it safely depending on the situation. There are many good alternatives discussed already. In your situation, I certainly would consider a treadmill to be the safest means to get exercise. As for a cattle prod, I grew up around rodeos and have seen one of those turn a 1200 pound bull into Tinkerbelle so he could fly over a 6 foot chute gate. I can't imagine a dog ignoring one.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

TexasGal wrote:"A dog or dogs on a dead run to attack are not easy targets in the small space of time you may have to react. Can you assess fast enough what is behind it before shooting? What if it is running out of a yard full of children to attack? If your only means of defense is deadly force, it may be impossible for you to use it safely depending on the situation. There are many good alternatives discussed already. In your situation, I certainly would consider a treadmill to be the safest means to get exercise. As for a cattle prod, I grew up around rodeos and have seen one of those turn a 1200 pound bull into Tinkerbelle so he could fly over a 6 foot chute gate. I can't imagine a dog ignoring one.
I have two Hot Shots out in my pickup just about all the time. They will easily move a 1200 lb. cow or a much larger bull but you have to keep in mind when you are using a hot shot it's generally within a confined alley way and you are "prodding" them to move onto a trailer or into a squeeze chute. They just need a bit of "encouragement". Yes they will turn a dog in a heartbeat. I have had the opportunity to use one for that purpose but that dog is going to be within 4 or 5 feet from you with your arm extended as that hot shot is only about 3 feet long. You miss and you are apt to get bit unless you are blessed with quick reflexes. You hit the dog with it and he is either gone for good or just the buzzing from the hot shot when you punch the button will get his attention and he will probably back away. I would not recommend carrying one for that purpose though.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Javier730 »

:iagree: The hotshot will get them to stop. I one had a my rottweiler and a buddys get into fight. My dad had a 4 ft hot shot close by. I hit the dog on top and he immediately pulled away. The dog that was in the bottom immediately gave chase and one zap changed his mind.

Not sure you can walk around with a hotshot though.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Carry a shovel
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

For the umpteenth time: Get some Freeze +P pepper spray and some Sudecon Decontamination wipes.

Don't panic when attacked, but let the attacking dog get within range of your spray.

Spray in a Z pattern over the head of the attacking dog. If you attempt to spray straight/directly into the face of the attacking dog chances are you'll miss, employing the Z pattern works best. I know as I use pepper spray so often for attacking dogs, I buy it by the case.

Don't spray into the wind unless you spray very low below eye level.

Don't cheap out on buying the decontamination wipes. They'll very likely be put to use some painful day...

Defensive Devices sells the above and also buy an belt clip holster designed to hold the can. You don't want to carry the spray can in your hand.

Good Luck!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”