Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rob777
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

Post by rob777 »

SewTexas wrote:
C-dub wrote:That Waller County DA can't even get it right in his press release. He still thinks that hospitals are off limits. I would be very worried about what else they are educating people about.
probably still thinks churches are too.
:roll:
They absolutely do! I went to a town hall meeting they held in 2015 in prep for open carry... primarily for LEOs but open to the public. Quite a few officers and residents showed up. I was the only LTC instructor in the room. In reviewing the laws churches, hospitals and liquor stores were off limits... no sign needed. Several folks, including LEOs, questioned their interpretation. The only response we received was "in Waller County you'll be prosecuted".
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

goose
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

Post by goose »

C-dub wrote: IIRC, the whistle blower act protects employees from retaliation when they blow the whistle on their employer and this guy is not an employee of the county.
I should have indicated humor. That was why I put in royalty and subject. When the government begins to punish its populations for questioning the government, we're heading down a scary path. It is also one of my fears related to the President Elect. I hope that the NRA never feels compelled to question him. I suspect that he will lash out much like Waller County is lashing out. It is just a bad precedent all the way around.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

goose wrote:
C-dub wrote: IIRC, the whistle blower act protects employees from retaliation when they blow the whistle on their employer and this guy is not an employee of the county.
I should have indicated humor. That was why I put in royalty and subject. When the government begins to punish its populations for questioning the government, we're heading down a scary path. It is also one of my fears related to the President Elect. I hope that the NRA never feels compelled to question him. I suspect that he will lash out much like Waller County is lashing out. It is just a bad precedent all the way around.
Hillary is the one who is refusing to accept the election results, not President-Elect Trump. Hillary is also the one who has a habit of having her detractors die mysteriously. I think your fear would be a lot more legitimate if she had managed to win the election.

goose

Post by goose »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
goose wrote:
Hillary is the one who is refusing to accept the election results, not President-Elect Trump. Hillary is also the one who has a habit of having her detractors die mysteriously. I think your fear would be a lot more legitimate if she had managed to win the election.
How does one person being bad negate concerns about anyone else? Her ability to be bad, has zero impact on President Elect Trump's ability to be bad or not be bad. If we're playing the "their person is worse than our person" game, that one made it to the finish line already. In November. We have our person. She is not the concern any longer. Even if we like PE Trump, we should be cognizant of the areas that he could potentially disappoint us.

Governments that attach punitive damages to their detractors are governments that should be feared (i.e. Waller County). I expressed a fear that PE Trump may have tendencies to do this. And I'm not even bashing him. But no President is a panacea. This is just an area I fear because of his comments on "assault rifles" and magazine capacities in the past, combined with his inability to ignore detractors. If he softens his 2A stances back to his views in the 2000s, and the NRA questions that shift, the NRA will potentially be the target of his Twitter account. During this campaign he has been very pro 2A. As I read his comments, I believe that the mass shootings of late have changed him. He appears to see that an unarmed populace is in danger. I hope that continues and my fear (not a huge one, but it is there) is unfounded.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Several folks, including LEOs, questioned their interpretation. The only response we received was "in Waller County you'll be prosecuted".
So, basically, Waller County elected officials believe they are above the law and will act according to how they feel and not what the law is.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

goose wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
goose wrote:
How does one person being bad negate concerns about anyone else? Her ability to be bad, has zero impact on President Elect Trump's ability to be bad or not be bad. If we're playing the "their person is worse than our person" game, that one made it to the finish line already. In November. We have our person. She is not the concern any longer. Even if we like PE Trump, we should be cognizant of the areas that he could potentially disappoint us.

Governments that attach punitive damages to their detractors are governments that should be feared (i.e. Waller County). I expressed a fear that PE Trump may have tendencies to do this. And I'm not even bashing him. But no President is a panacea. This is just an area I fear because of his comments on "assault rifles" and magazine capacities in the past, combined with his inability to ignore detractors. If he softens his 2A stances back to his views in the 2000s, and the NRA questions that shift, the NRA will potentially be the target of his Twitter account. During this campaign he has been very pro 2A. As I read his comments, I believe that the mass shootings of late have changed him. He appears to see that an unarmed populace is in danger. I hope that continues and my fear (not a huge one, but it is there) is unfounded.
I think your fears are completely unfounded. I guess we will both find out soon enough. I was simply pointing out that if you have this fear, then you should be jumping for joy that the election did not go the other way.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K.Mooneyham »

bblhd672 wrote:
Several folks, including LEOs, questioned their interpretation. The only response we received was "in Waller County you'll be prosecuted".
So, basically, Waller County elected officials believe they are above the law and will act according to how they feel and not what the law is.
And, hopefully, during this year's legislative session, this will become an important enough item that the legislature will pass a bill to reign in these types of rogue officials who feel they are above the law. I won't hold my breath, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bblhd672 wrote:
Yes. That basically sums it up. I think the following phrase should be hanging on the wall of every government official in this country.

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

goose

Post by goose »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: I think your fears are completely unfounded. I guess we will both find out soon enough. I was simply pointing out that if you have this fear, then you should be jumping for joy that the election did not go the other way.
I know that she would have been anti 2A. Absolutely zero disagreement there. As I age, I just find that most folks jumping for joy over an elected official usually find that point when they stop jumping, their shoulders slump a little bit and they realize that they elected a human and not a savior. I just hope that our collective shoulders slump (if at all) over political issues other than the 2A. I also hope my fears are unfounded. As I said, it appears that some of the later mass shootings have shown him the light about being unarmed. Fingers crossed.

</digression> Back to the sorry so's and so's running Waller!

goose

Post by goose »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Yes. That basically sums it up. I think the following phrase should be hanging on the wall of every government official in this country.

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."
Why didn't you lead with this??? :-) (just friendly chain pulling)

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

goose wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:

Why didn't you lead with this??? :-) (just friendly chain pulling)
Just because we may disagree on some things, does not mean that we can't agree on other things ;-)

I also agree with your sentiment of caution towards any elected official. I'd just rather give the man the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

rob777 wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
C-dub wrote:That Waller County DA can't even get it right in his press release. He still thinks that hospitals are off limits. I would be very worried about what else they are educating people about.
probably still thinks churches are too.
:roll:
They absolutely do! I went to a town hall meeting they held in 2015 in prep for open carry... primarily for LEOs but open to the public. Quite a few officers and residents showed up. I was the only LTC instructor in the room. In reviewing the laws churches, hospitals and liquor stores were off limits... no sign needed. Several folks, including LEOs, questioned their interpretation. The only response we received was "in Waller County you'll be prosecuted".

wow! :banghead: :banghead:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Russell wrote:

Unbelievable. I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut and probably would have ended up getting kicked out of that meeting.

That's one of those things where you challenge it on purpose in order to force it into court just to spite the local law enforcement.
exactly.....
y'all remind me not to move there if I ever mention it. It would end badly for everyone.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

minytrker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by minytrker »

Im not that far from Waller County, the problem is "small town" mentality and the good ol boy system. They are used to getting away with whatever they want and now someone threw a wrench in there system.

I went through something similar in the 90's in a nearby county to Waller county dealing with the local cops. Luckily I was able to get a good lawyer and beat them at there own game, a lot in apart because they were so cocky and kept talking more and more.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”