Do I have to keep my LTC card on my body?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Do I have to keep my LTC card on my body?

Post by Pawpaw »

bblhd672 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:to open carry in your car, you still have to have your license on you...technically.
Are you saying it is legal to have handgun visible in your car if you have LTC?
As long as it is in a belt or shoulder holster, yes.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

casp625
Posts in topic: 2

Post by casp625 »

bblhd672 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:to open carry in your car, you still have to have your license on you...technically.
Yes, as long as it's in a belt or shoulder holster.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

bblhd672 wrote:
If it's in a belt or shoulder holster.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

ScottDLS wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
If it's in a belt or shoulder holster.
Thanks.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

ScottDLS wrote:
thetexan wrote:I see nothing in the statute that requires it to be on your physical body...I also do not find any statute that requires you to keep your driver's license on you body...nor your pilot's license.

You are required to be able to produce those certificates upon demand (by statute), and that can't be done unless those certificates are readily available at a moment's notice.

Why wouldn't you carry it in your wallet? I bet you have your NRA certificate in your wallet...as well as your credit cards...and your driver's license...and if you are a pilot I know you have those in your wallet. So why not the LTC?

tex
This:

PC §46.15. NON-APPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun;
I'm not sure what that has to do with the original question. 46.02 is only applicable in one situation and that is not the situation described in the original post and question.

We all know that a licensee can be held responsible for a gun on or about his person. For example, I believe a licensee could carry a gun in a baby stroller being pushed and be considered carrying for 46.15 and 411 purposes. If that is the case then why not the license itself?

As I stated this all boils down to the definition of carrying (as to whether "on or about" or just "on" when attempting to interpret or extract a ubiquitous definition from 46.15 (which I'm not convinced is germane anyway)). In any case it needs to be very physically close. Certainly not in a workplace drawer if you are somewhere else on campus. Otherwise you could not possibly comply with the immediacy requirement of 411.205.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

thetexan wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
thetexan wrote:I see nothing in the statute that requires it to be on your physical body...I also do not find any statute that requires you to keep your driver's license on you body...nor your pilot's license.

You are required to be able to produce those certificates upon demand (by statute), and that can't be done unless those certificates are readily available at a moment's notice.

Why wouldn't you carry it in your wallet? I bet you have your NRA certificate in your wallet...as well as your credit cards...and your driver's license...and if you are a pilot I know you have those in your wallet. So why not the LTC?

tex
This:

PC §46.15. NON-APPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun;
I'm not sure what that has to do with the original question. 46.02 is only applicable in one situation and that is not the situation described in the original post and question.

We all know that a licensee can be held responsible for a gun on or about his person. For example, I believe a licensee could carry a gun in a baby stroller being pushed and be considered carrying for 46.15 and 411 purposes. If that is the case then why not the license itself?

As I stated this all boils down to the definition of carrying (as to whether "on or about" or just "on" when attempting to interpret or extract a ubiquitous definition from 46.15). In any case it needs to be very physically close. Certainly not in a workplace drawer if you are somewhere else on campus. In that situation you could not comply with the immediacy requirement of 411.205.

tex
No nothing in the statute requires you to carry your LTC, or produce your LTC unless you are carrying a handgun. There's no law that says you have to have an ID at all, unless you're carrying or driving. I thought you were suggesting that you don't have to have LTC on WHEN you're carrying... :???:

ETA: OP seems to imply in her post that this only has become a question since campus carry, so most responses assumed she meant not having LTC while carrying.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”