Do I have to keep my LTC card on my body?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

allisji
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Do I have to keep my LTC card on my body?

Post by allisji »

PatrickMas20 wrote:I cant stand big wallets especially in my back pocket. My solution was a slim wallet and I found mine on amazon for $20 bucks and has held up great over the past year. Really thin and sometimes I forget its even in my pocket.

http://shop.herschelsupply.com/products ... t-navy-red
I have one similar to that that I carry my DL, LTC, Debit Card, and Credit Card in now. Carry it in front left pocket, opposite my holster. But I also have my old wallet in my back left pocket, with some cash, some gift cards, my medical insurance cards, an expired DL, and an expired credit card. Enough to satisfy a common crook without relinquishing my LTC, ID, and active banking cards.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

PatrickMas20
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PatrickMas20 »

allisji wrote:
PatrickMas20 wrote:I cant stand big wallets especially in my back pocket. My solution was a slim wallet and I found mine on amazon for $20 bucks and has held up great over the past year. Really thin and sometimes I forget its even in my pocket.

I have one similar to that that I carry my DL, LTC, Debit Card, and Credit Card in now. Carry it in front left pocket, opposite my holster. But I also have my old wallet in my back left pocket, with some cash, some gift cards, my medical insurance cards, an expired DL, and an expired credit card. Enough to satisfy a common crook without relinquishing my LTC, ID, and active banking cards.
I carry my wallet in front left as well. I rarely carry cash, but if i do its in my small "watch" pocket on the right side. I stopped putting my wallet in my back pocket because of back problems, found out I had scoliosis during a physical in high school... I like to keep the pockets light.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Pawpaw »

I've used one of these for the last several years: https://www.amazon.com/Slim-Card-Clip-D ... B01IC0XG5K

Cash on one side and a few cards on the other. It's very slim and goes in my front pocket.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

goose
Posts in topic: 1

Post by goose »

Pawpaw wrote:
I've used one of these for the last several years: https://www.amazon.com/Slim-Card-Clip-D ... B01IC0XG5K

Cash on one side and a few cards on the other. It's very slim and goes in my front pocket.
I will second the slim clip. The main thing I like about all of these small wallets is that it helps keep a person from continually adding junk. My last real wallet was right at an inch thick. The slim clip forces a culling.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

I see nothing in the statute that requires it to be on your physical body...I also do not find any statute that requires you to keep your driver's license on you body...nor your pilot's license.

You are required to be able to produce those certificates upon demand (by statute), and that can't be done unless those certificates are readily available at a moment's notice.

Why wouldn't you carry it in your wallet? I bet you have your NRA certificate in your wallet...as well as your credit cards...and your driver's license...and if you are a pilot I know you have those in your wallet. So why not the LTC?

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Pawpaw »

Then I assume you didn't read this post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85466&start=15#p1097719
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

thetexan wrote:I see nothing in the statute that requires it to be on your physical body...I also do not find any statute that requires you to keep your driver's license on you body...nor your pilot's license.

You are required to be able to produce those certificates upon demand (by statute), and that can't be done unless those certificates are readily available at a moment's notice.

Why wouldn't you carry it in your wallet? I bet you have your NRA certificate in your wallet...as well as your credit cards...and your driver's license...and if you are a pilot I know you have those in your wallet. So why not the LTC?

tex
This:

PC §46.15. NON-APPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun;
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I do believe its a good idea to keep your CHL and ID on you while carrying. It is the law after all. I believe not having it with you could cause a big inconvenience if you are asked for it by an LEO. However, there is no penalty for not having it with you. There should be no fines,and no court hearings if you don't happen to have it on you. THe hassle would be being held and getting your status clarified.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

flowrie wrote:I thought a cell phone would mess up the magnetic strip on credit cards, etc...
My LTC has a strip on the back.
????
Not sure, anyone know?
I believe the stripes on credit cards are safe; however a cell phone in the same pocket as a hotel room key card might get zapped. Been many a trips to the front desk for a re-key from having them together.... :banghead:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Liberty wrote:I do believe its a good idea to keep your CHL and ID on you while carrying. It is the law after all. I believe not having it with you could cause a big inconvenience if you are asked for it by an LEO. However, there is no penalty for not having it with you. There should be no fines,and no court hearings if you don't happen to have it on you. THe hassle would be being held and getting your status clarified.
Technically, the penalty for not carrying it on you is a class A misdemeanor for Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon 46.02. The law says in order to be excepted from 46.02 you have to have your LTC on you. I don't think many prosecutors would try to get you, but do you want to be the (proverbial) test case?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

ScottDLS wrote:
Technically, the penalty for not carrying it on you is a class A misdemeanor for Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon 46.02. The law says in order to be excepted from 46.02 you have to have your LTC on you. I don't think many prosecutors would try to get you, but do you want to be the (proverbial) test case?
Thanks for clearing that up. I did not know that. I just knew they took out the phrase describing a penalty in the 2013 session. Didn't know there was another gotcha phrase in there.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Keep it in your pocket or put it in a lanyard under your shirt.

https://www.amazon.com/Bird-Vertical-Le ... B01D8M3274
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

I've carried a guys wallet for years. So much more convenient and they're just laid out better than ours. I also avoid the Murphy's law of everything going to the bottom of a purse when I need it and the ever popular "honey will you put this in your purse for me." The only time I actually carry a purse anymore is on date night when I'm wearing a dress.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Liberty wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I did not know that. I just knew they took out the phrase describing a penalty in the 2013 session. Didn't know there was another gotcha phrase in there.
Right the gotcha phrase is in 46.15 where you don't get the exemption for 46.02 unless you're carrying your license. Now what's changed is MPA...you could be in your car without your license and not violate 46.02, but to carry outside your car or to open carry in your car, you still have to have your license on you...technically.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

ScottDLS wrote:to open carry in your car, you still have to have your license on you...technically.
Are you saying it is legal to have handgun visible in your car if you have LTC?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”